Universal Samurai II: Vengeance (by Madfinger Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 20, 2010.

1. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Just downloaded and WOW!

The front end is BEAUTIFUL! It absolutely REEKS of polish.

I wont be getting into the story yet, since I'm making my way through the first- have had it since launch, but I did get into dojo and man are the graphics in this game unbelievable. I can't imagine it can look any better than the dojo level.

Samurai 2 is extremely beautiful. And that's no hyperbole. This is the best looking game on the iDevice, hands down. And up.

Oh, and it plays like a dream. HAI-YA!

This and Game Dev Story in the same week. Who'da thunk!

2. bLiNdSiDe

bLiNdSiDe Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Firefighter (Sergeant) / EMT
    Covington, GA
  3. I'm really loving the art style in this game. At only $3 and being an universal app, this is definitely worth buying IMO.

4. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Quick impressions.

For one: This game looks gorgeous. Frame rate isn't a solid 60 fps though. There are some noticeable framerate hitches, but most of the time really good.

Controls aren't great though. For people comparing this game to ninja gaiden, I'll slap you =O

This game has this really strange 'button queuing' setup similar to that bruce lee game. You can tell if you press any button really fast in the game, it then relays those actions you pressed. This leads to many instances in which you press the roll button, but your dude is still queued up with other attacks so you get hit. Sure you can get used to the system, but it still feels really clunky compare to other slashing brawlers like OMG pirates which I still consider the best controlling action game on the device. This is also odd because even with the 'queue' system, your combos still don't come off 100% of the time. I do believe the timing needs to be more lenient for combos. It might just be me though trying to play this like ninja gaiden cuz some butthole above mentioned it >.>"

Another thing I noticed that I really miss is that in the first game your dude shakes off the blood before he sheaths his sword. That little touch made the character infinitely more badass. If you can get that in an update I'd be soo happy =)

Still, so far I'm enjoying this game.

btw: Can someone explain when the slow motion thing occurs? I know everyone you swing at is instant killed when it's activated, but like 40% it goes slowmo, I already started the roll animation >.>"

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Slide to Play review (4/4).

6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    On my iPhone 4 this game is STUNNINGLY beautiful.

7. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    4.1 fixes the solution

8. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    nice! Too bad I kinda don't trust Slide to Play anymore after Time Crisis got a 4 and Corporate Fury got a 1. Their reviewer's preferences are just too weird =)

Man I just feel negative right now. Probably cuz I worked from 7am to 11pm today.

Might feel better about this game tomorrow =)

Still, add the damn 'swing blood off sword' animation back =O

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #109 squarezero, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    Framerate is 60 FPS -- I played the game pretty much all the way through with a counter on. Sure, there might be hiccup or two when your iPhone is doing something else, but those are rare, at least in my experience.

I believe I'm the "butthole" who mentioned Ninja Gaiden, but, of course, what I said is that Samurai II it doesn't play like it. You actually need to pay attention to what you're doing for combos to come through -- timing matters.

BTW, the slow-mo effect activates when you've set to make a kill cut, not the other way around. That usually means that you've built enough hits and managed to pull off a critical. You can always cancel the attack with a roll, though, if you see that you're about to be hit by another blade or an arrow. Seems to me that you're just slapping down virtual buttons and not thinking about your attacks.

10. hi54ever

hi54ever Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    nice game so far, but i have issue

the games crashes when exiting the "HELP" menu, any1 have this problem, im on i4 IOS4.1, restarted my phone but crashe stil thr, other than tat, SUPERB :) i wan swipe control!

11. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    hmmm it's just the combos feel really like the ones in Hybrid 2, in which you pull them off like 70% of the time.

And the framerate issue. I've been going a little heavy on winterboard themes lately (testing my own ones out, might release them someday =P), so I'll try again with those off.

And I believe the 'butthole' I was talking about was kiranb not you SZ =)

"Let me put it this way: it sometimes felt as if I was playing a scaled down version of Ninja Gaiden on my iPhone 4. The Analog stick is responsive to your touch (no delays whatsoever) and the attack/dodge buttons are just the right size with just the right spacing in between to ensure you do WHAT YOU WANT instead of accidentally mashing something in the heat of a battle.

This game allows you to do exactly what you want to, unlike the first game where your character's movement and actions sort of blended in with each other with swiping gestures."

Anyhow, I'ma go have my tireness remedy, Vodka+monster. Maybe that will fix all my problems with this game lmao.

12. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    I feel ya, I miss swinging the blood off of the sword too and hope it will come back in an update.

and yes, the game is 60 FPS but it will slowdown a few frames for a very brief amount of time in some instances.

13. camihq

camihq Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Finland
    Ooh. I want this. I should get more money for this. :eek:

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Sorry -- I looked back on the thread and could find no other mention of NG.

Later on in the game you get some crazy powerful combos that come in handy against the bosses. By that time I was able to pull those off 100% of the time. It does take a little practice -- but then again, isn't that true of any game?

Oh, and I miss the cleaning move, too. Not sure why they took it out.

15. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    So happy it's out! Been waiting for this one for quite awhile. Looks gorgeous on the retina display, and I'm very happy it's universal as I have just purchased an iPad recently. Looks great on the iPad too, hard to decide what to play it on, but that's a good problem to have :)

Tough day for Reckless Racing to come out lol.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, and I did mention this on the upcoming thread, but I too am disappointed about the lack of swipe controls. Having played it now, I definitely do not agree that they would have been impractical to have as an option. The virtual controls work well, but they are not as satisfying as the swipe controls in the first game, IMO. I like the roll button and think that could have been left on with swipe controls. During the parts with traps/platforming elements that would be difficult to play through with swipes, there could have been a temporary joystick or something until you get past those parts. The core of the game, the fighting, is not at all dis-similar to the first, from what I've played, and I really just don't understand why the swipe controls had to be removed altogether. Add me to the list of people hoping to see them implemented in an update.

Love the game, but again, the controls just do not feel as satisfying as the they were in the first game. Maybe they will grow on me the more I play, which I'm going to be doing all night :D

16. Jake171

Jake171 Active Member

Oct 6, 2010
    #116 Jake171, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    It's out (in US)! :D

17. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Hey, you... Yeah, I'm talking to you, Andre 3000...

How in the hell did you beat the first game? I'm on the chapter where, I guess, I'll have to face off against the number 2 guy. And I can't get past all the enemies. I have never seen smarter AI in any other app store game. Any hints? I wish the roll mechanic was in the first game.

18. MadFingerGames

MadFingerGames Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Brno, Czech Rep.
    Good morning,

Ill talk to you about gestures, combos or even cleaning sword later today..

Please leave your revies on iTunes and spread your experience around the world ;) Help us to make another great game ! ;)

19. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    turn the volume up. when they grunt, swipe to counter and whale away.

Or if you want to be cheap, swing left right left right etc and you will win easily =)

20. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    :D

It's been awhile since I beat it but generally I'd say try to master as many different combos as possible and try to be evasive. Practice makes perfect :) Also, isn't there a sort of blocking action or something that if you time it right, can nulify some enemy attacks? Kind of remember something like that... Anyhow, I know it took me a few tries to beat the last couple dudes, keep at it.

Edit:

This. Swipe to counter.