Universal Samurai II: Vengeance (by Madfinger Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Oct 20, 2010.

1. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    No idea friend, I have no idea what it is unzipped as I don't have the game yet.

2. master lee

master lee Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Greece kos island
    Awesome game whith great price Instabuy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    been wondering. The first game had a unique control scheme, but this one seems more traditional, control wise. Now it seems to be pretty similar to Predators with what I presume decent controls and a lot of slicing. Anyone that played both wanna give a comparison?

4. MadFingerGames

MadFingerGames Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Brno, Czech Rep.
    Please never compare our game to Predators ;) Respect to Predator's devs, but this game is really different ;)

5. broeken

broeken Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Male
    Total instabuy for me. I've played the first game I don't know how many times, lol. Looking forward to using the new control scheme - I hope it works as well as the gestures did in the first release. Looks awesome!

6. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    well, I've seen what seems to be a bos in the videos. There was a moment when the protagonist lops off the head of a big guy.

7. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    lol am I smelling some hate for Predators? Now your getting my expectations up. Don't disappoint me =X

8. MadFingerGames

Apr 27, 2009
    Brno, Czech Rep.

nope.. its just different game... honestly, there is not any other game as Sam II ;)

9. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Here are some initial impressions:

Graphics and Animations

Samurai II brings the game to the table, full on. Graphics are crisp, textures are lively and charming (in a bloody disgusting sort of way) and animations run at a very fluid rate (as advertised).This is without a doubt one of the prettiest and smoothest games to run on my iPhone 4 so far.

There are so many games "optimized for Retina Display" but few actually NAIL IT (Modern Combat 2 and Samurai II are the only two I can think of).

If there's one negative about the graphics, it's that the slashing effects have been visually toned down for some reason. I enjoyed the red splash/swipe as I sliced my opponent in half in the original Samurai, but there's no such indication in this one. The protagonist's movement just slows down (as he's about to pull off his finisher) and the sword slices through the enemy without any visual indication that he's done a finisher.

Controls

Controls are completely re-vamped from the original; of course. How do they fare next to the original's?

Let me put it this way: it sometimes felt as if I was playing a scaled down version of Ninja Gaiden on my iPhone 4. The Analog stick is responsive to your touch (no delays whatsoever) and the attack/dodge buttons are just the right size with just the right spacing in between to ensure you do WHAT YOU WANT instead of accidentally mashing something in the heat of a battle.

This game allows you to do exactly what you want to, unlike the first game where your character's movement and actions sort of blended in with each other with swiping gestures.

Fun-factor / Conclusion

Samurai II's officially my new 'show-off' game; again, visuals this pretty and gameplay this good for 2.99 is a steal. Don't think twice; download it and enjoy it. I've hardly gotten past the first mission and haven't even unlocked anything (damn you, Reckless Racer) but i'm going to be enjoying this for a while.

10. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    lol now you mention it.

Situation: You have 3 bucks, Sam 2 or Reckless Racer?

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    You have more than 3 bucks so stop being cheap and get both :p

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I beta tested both this and Predators, and I like the guys at Angry Mob just fine. But Predators is basically a glorified survival brawler -- well done, but thin. Samurai II is the first really epic action game on the platform, with environments that'll make many a jaw drop, great (and varies) combat animation, and even a truly moving moment in the story. There's really no comparison.

13. Gokunama

Gokunama Member

Dec 18, 2009
    On an iPhone 3G, great graphics, and controls that I find so much easier and thus makes the game so much funner than the first. I'm not sure if my iPhone was checking calendars or email in the background or the comic intro was just super slow in changing screens though.

14. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    so, the description says it supports the iphone 3G, but it doesn't mention the 2G ipod. Wouldn't it work better on the 2G ipod? Can anyone confirm if this works on the 2G?

15. goonjamin

goonjamin Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Ipod Touch 2nd Gen

How does this one perform on older hardware?

I have a ipod touch 2nd gen and am thinking of picking this up.

16. dark1x

dark1x Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    So did they actually hit 60 fps on the iPhone4? Would possibly become the most impressive game available if they did as the art style is quite lovely and a high framerate would really sell it.

17. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    I don't have 3 bucks, but Im getting both >.>

18. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    Yes, They actually did. In fact, It is even in the apps description!

"★ Runs at 60 frames per second on iPhone 4G, iPod 4G and iPad."

and if it is in the apps description, then it has to be true! :cool:

so your comment is quite possibly going to be true. :cool:

19. MadFingerGames

Apr 27, 2009
    Brno, Czech Rep.
    #59 MadFingerGames, Oct 20, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
    Dont warez indie games ;) even RR is published by EA , deveper is indie. If you want more great games then support them. We cannot survive without selling, its easy ;)

Btw game run on 2nd gen iPod, we tested it.. But dont expect 60fps.. ;)

20. chickdigger802

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Not too sure about 'truly moving moment in the story' in a samurai hack and slash, but the rest of your praise sounds promising. Speaking of survival brawler, does this game have that endless dojo mode thing like in Sam1? That was pretty fun.

Also question about combos, how do they work (they were pretty hit and miss in the first one) and are there new moves from the first one? Hard to tell from the trailer.