Universal Samorost 3 (by Amanita Design)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Sep 1, 2016.

1. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    I agree with your statement 100% and this game is much more like Machinarium. I did get stuck in one part after the first area. But eventually I progressed. This is one very high caliber game though. Almost too beautiful (if that was a thing).

2. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Yes it has been running great on iOS 10 since the 3rd beta for me. I ran into one exception bug. I don't think it was related to iOS 10 and I reported to the Dev when it occurred. I'm sure it has been fixed by release. But to answer your question yes it works. Only issues with games I've had with iOS 10 beta have been Pixelbite games.

3. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Awesome surprise! I had hoped this would come out at some point for IOS, digging out my iPad now... I don't even care how this plays, they make such beautiful aural and visual experiences.

4. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Cryptic could be one way to put it. Badly designed another. To me their interface, path of logic etc. just feels messy at best.

I have to say I do not get why people like their games. And it's really strange as I am usually good at being objective or even forgiving if there are other redeeming features, but this developers efforts just make me really annoyed. Too bad as this looks nice, but seeing the vids and reading a comment like that from Appunwrapper at least makes me certain this would be the same for me.

Aah well back to Leap of Fate then. :D

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Do point and clicks normally...click with you? If you're not used to the convoluted nature of them, I can see this not being your cup of tea.

6. Anyone know how to get iCloud syncs to work? I see it uses it but I can't get my save from one device to another.

7. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    If we still had boxes for games this would be written on a big gold sticker on the front.

8. Made a tiny bit of progress and really loved the second puzzle I solved. Very creative. But then got stuck again.

Onward!

9. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Is the original Samarost and the second one available for iOS (iPhone)?

10. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    See, that's the thing for me. This game looks absolutely gorgeous IMO. Console quality for sure! But I found machinarium to be too hard. Serious challenge! But frustrating to the point of feeling like it was a lotta hard work instead of being fun! Maybe it's just me, I dunno. Color me interested here, oh yeah, but from what I'm hearing, this is more of the same type of deal. I might hafta pass on this, but if I can be convinced otherwise, I'd be glad to pick it up! #

11. Butcher Bill

Butcher Bill Member

Jul 29, 2016
    No job
    NY
    Absolutelly awesome game!

12. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    This game is a work of art. It does lean towards the more obtuse side of point and click "logic" so some players might find it baffling at times. However, there is a built-in hint book in the game that pretty much gives you the complete solution to every puzzle, should you get stuck.

Highly recommended, and highly rewarding as long as you're prepared to think outside the box.

13. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    If you really didn't get into machinarium then I can't see you liking this either really - it's very much more of the same only bigger and better.

14. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

I'd actually say that it's not like Machinarium. See, in Machinarium you have a huge number of "screens" that you can go to at once and the solution to each puzzles is rather complex. In Samorost 3, everything is limited to a couple of screens and you just need to observe your surroundings to find what to do next.

Some might call it a bit too easy but I think that's the right balance. And it's absolutely made for touch.

15. Rothgarr

Rothgarr Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    I wonder why it's only got three stars in the app store.

16. Made more progress. God it's so gorgeous.
    Still not a fan of the navigation, how you have to get right up to the edge of the screen to see that you can go to the next screen. But now that I know how it works, I'm missing less and enjoying the exploration. Those creatures...wow.

17. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    Thought machinarium was more single screen based too but it has been a while since I played it!

18. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    This game is a piece of art

19. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    Absolutely amazing game

20. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Man, now you guys got me leaning towards the grab! So whaduya think in general? Very fun or very frustrating? That's what I wanna know! #