iPad sales tax when purchasing games with itunes gift cards ?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by applesauce25r624, Dec 17, 2008.

1. 1. do you pay sales tax when you purchase a gift card at a store ?

2. when you buy the application, does it deduct say $0.99 or does it deduct that plus sales tax ?

3. when you purchase an app using credit card through itunes store, does that have a sales tax charge added ?

thank you ^_^

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    1) I'm 99.9% sure you don't.

2) 99 cents.

3) No.

3. Technologic

Technologic Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I fought with KMart over them charging sales tax on an iTunes card since I also pay tax when I purchase something. (Double tax).

I no longer by the cards at KMart now...other places do not charge tax on the card.

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Gift cards work like cash. You don't pay tax when you buy them. The tax is charged when something is purchased. A gift card doesn't necessarily count as a purchase because it's more of an exchange. When you use the card, you're charged tax, just like using cash.

Yep. I've worked a lot of retail... :rolleyes:

5. oh neat

thank you, guys ^_^V

6. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    ive had a couple giftcards and ive never been taxed outright when i made any purchase. but because of the whole *.99 prices i had seven cents left on my account and itunes gangstered it all from me. i was bummed for about fifteen minutes until i found a dime in my pocket so i came out ahead in the end. so i guess they dont charge you tax but they are miserly with the pennies.