Universal Sagrada (by Dire Wolf Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Makara Nou, Apr 1, 2020.

1. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Sagrada looks great, very polished in all respects (haven't tried multi).
    Still trying to get a grip on all the rules and not forget all the bonus goals.

2. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    There were 3 games (GRID, Dead Cells & Downwell) I'd never ever delete from my devices. Now it's 4 with this one.

3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Are you serious? I mean, there’s obviously much more games than 3 I’d never ever delete (just from the top of my head: GRID, Dead Cells, Poly Bridge, Stardew Valley, Mini Metro, Micro Breaker, Gunpowder, Alto’s Adventure, Craft the World, and like tons of others) but this one? I have no idea what’s it about besides it’s some sort of board game. And Yahtzee has been mentioned here a few times - doesn’t ring a bell either. It’s a strong statement you gave here and I’m intrigued! Do I have to buy this game?

I enjoy digital editions of board games occasionally with Galaxy Trucker being my favorite, but I own multiple Monopoly games as well as Backgammons etc. On the other hand, board games are far from my favorite genre. I’d put them somewhere in the middle. Bottom third of the spectrum probably. That being said, if you think this is a must-have for me and a good fit, I’ll buy it as I value your opinion and I believe we have similar taste in games in general. So?

4. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    @macplash Let me start with this, I only play games on my iPhone for so many years now, and I'm one of those people who purchases many games but actually plays merely half of em. Therefore, instead of telling you to buy it, let me explain my reasoning so you can see if you can relate.

I mentioned 3 games, and when compared, Downwell is the simplest one. But it's on that list for a reason, and Sagrada falls among the same lines imho.

-It's in portrait mode. Big plus for phones.
    -It's easy to learn. I have many digital board games, like Through the Ages, Pandemic, Terraforming Mars, etc.. But, getting into those games are not so easy. I'd say Through the Ages is the front-runner among those, and even tho it has the most hilarious and comprehensive tutorial, I gotta admit that I fell asleep many times during that tutorial. It's because, I can't keep my "learning focus" that much when I'm staring at a phone. Sagrada is not like that, you learn the basics in 10 minutes, a session is max 10 minutes long, and rest is mastering it. Another benefit of that simplicity is you can teach it to someone else easily, so in a sense it's more introducible.
    -I'd say if Yahtzee is mentioned, Sudoku and Backgammon should also be mentioned. All the influences are there.
    -It has offline campaign, versus AI, online & cross platform multiplayer (async, live, pass and play), everything you expect from a digital board game adaptation.
    -I literally adore the looks of it, it's very shiny and very polished.
    -It's very relaxing too, no fighting, just decorating your window with a relaxing background music, sounds of dices and feeling of em, all hits the spot, especially these days.

Ultimately, I can't say it's the best example of the genre (I could easily say that about GRID and Dead Cells for obvious reasons), but Sagrada is more like Downwell, executes its premise with near perfection, that's why it's never leaving my iPhone. It's the best of what you can get in a phone as a board game for me. The rest is up to you and if you ever get the game, my username is bvlix, add me as a friend! ;)

macplash likes this.
  5. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @bx59 thank you very much for taking time and replying with such complexity. Your reasoning behind keeping this game on your device is spot-on. For me the Portrait mode isn’t the selling point, obviously, but everything else sounds great. Especially the possibility to get into it fast thanks to simple rules. Some games are just too complex and lately I prefer easier approach. I found a gameplay video I’m gonna watch before I make my decision though.

For the multiplayer part of the experience, how big is the player base? I came across a lot of games I utterly loved but after a few weeks there’s just no one to play with or against, which pains me. Tricky Towers always comes to mind. I understand there’s a campaign, but we know the true fun is always in the multiplayer. With a few exceptions of course.

Anyway, thanks again for your response. I appreciate it.

bx59 likes this.
  6. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    @macplash I'm glad if I helped any, I know we're both game junkies! ;)

I can't guarantee you a big player base in any board game tbh, but it's cross platform w Steam & Android so I believe maybe not live, but an async game may always be found. (At least that's the case with Ascension, etc.) I totally agree your comments about multiplayer, but I must admit that I haven't touched MP yet since I don't feel I'm ready yet. Moreover, due to relaxing-rather-than-competitive nature of the game, I won't be that sad if multiplayer becomes dead someday.

ste86uk likes this.
  7. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @macplash I’ve not been able to decide on this game either as it does seem simple but also attractive and possibly interesting.

I’ve added two of those games you mentioned to my list and purchased one so far.

Can you recommend anything good for tracking apps/sales? I’ve been using appsliced but not sure how good it is yet.

8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Appsliced is a great site and if you have certain item set on alert, it'll notify you by email the moment it goes on sale. It's reliable. Other than that you can use wish list alternative on the App Store: WSH LST and similar to appsliced is also Appshopper and bunch of others.

I'm also active on Reddit so AppHookup subreddit is a great source for me as well. It's hard to miss any sales with combination of two of these sources. On Reddit there's also iosgaming with like 110K members so there are some nice mentions from time to time too. That should be enough.;)

ste86uk likes this.
  9. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    You’re looking for AppRaven >> https://apps.apple.com/tr/app/appraven-best-apps-games/id1490607195

CygnetSeven and ste86uk like this.
  10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash @bx59 Thank you for those I’ll check them out and I have been adding them for the price warning on appsliced so that should help.

Where has the wish list gone now on iOS anyway? Since an update a while back I don’t know where it’s hidden away now I haven’t used it for a long time.

11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    That's the point. It's not hidden anywhere. It's just gone! For whatever reason, Apple made a decision to get rid of it. That's why we are forced to use alternatives. Bummer, right?

12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I thought it was but I must have read your post wrong as it made me think maybe I was stupid and didn’t see where it went to.

It does seem like an idiotic idea to get rid of it as surely it generated then more income and couldn’t have cost much at all to maintain you’d think.

13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk it's not the first controversial decision Apple has made and most certainly wasn't the last, unfortunatelly. I mean, I can't think of any reasonable explanation why wishlist would be a bad choice for anyone. But we can't do anything about it, hence alternatives.

ste86uk likes this.
  14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm loving the just dropped update's inclusion of the Solo mode and think the game does a decent job explaining the new rules with 1 exception....where can I see my needed "Target Score" other than at the very end of the game? I played an Easy game and the Target Score I had to beat was 61, but as I never saw this number until the end of the game, I have no idea if it is always going to be 61, or if that value is based on the chosen difficulty or game card?

15. StratAll

StratAll Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2009
    It seems the target score is the total dice value of dice on the track. So the higher the value of discarded dice, the more difficult it becomes to win. You can prevent high value dice going on the track by using your abilities.
    Would be nice to see a counter of how much you’ve already added indeed.

16. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Ahh, okay, I thought those discards were what my end score was based on!