Universal Sage Solitaire (By Zach Gage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by vectorarchitekt, Aug 27, 2015.

1. FledgeFish

FledgeFish Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I have scored 1210 by just using the hint button but maybe that's as high as I'll get. Thanks for responding!

2. Sabaki

Sabaki Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    I really dig this game! It's going into a row with Big Bad Sudoku Book 3 & Threes!

I'm hitting 1600 in single deck mode but can't go past that. Any tips aside from card counting?

3. collasta

collasta Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Looking forward to the next update! I'd never heard of Vegas so I took a break from sage and started playing some Klondike to get a feel for it. But will return as soon as the update hits. Or, more likely, during my after lunch bathroom break.

I have no self control with hint buttons and I always feel bad "abusing" them and eventually ruin the game because of my own selfish behavior. They make me question myself in ways I don't like :< One of my favorite ways of implementing hints is a small penalty for use (5 points?). Although, I prefer an on off toggle most.

I'm currently sitting at 1560 in single deck but with only one clear. As a cribbage player, I've been sticking to 15s. 1600 highest and 6 clears.

4. FledgeFish

FledgeFish Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Same here, I have no self control with the hint button #

5. webdaffy

webdaffy Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    #105 webdaffy, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    The hint system is fine as it is.

If you use it you'll lose a card for another or a bigger poker hand.
    If you use it often you will never ever achieve
    a top high score due to the lack of cards.

So you will often ask yourself: should I use it and lose some points or not but may stuck and can't clear the board ?

This adds another nice layer of strategy
    and therefore please keep it as it is.

6. FledgeFish

FledgeFish Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    If you use it, doesn't it recommend using the best or only hand you currently have? Does the strategy of not losing cards with the hint button include a lot or trashing cards? Not trying to be snarky, just genuinely curious about how I can get better at the game!

7. webdaffy

webdaffy Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    You're totally right!!!
    Mixed it up with the TRASH functionality :(

I'd 100% agree if you'd use a hint you should receive a penalty

sorry again for mixing this up

8. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    Hopefully to clear up some of your feelings on the hint button, here's how it works:

It finds the highest hand on the board
    It doesn't take into account card position or pile heights
    It doesn't take into account whether or not bonuses are in the hand.

So basically it won't do any strategic thinking for you, instead it'll just locate the thing that hopefully you can locate on your own, but if you can't it's there to help :)

9. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

[thread=269386][​IMG][/thread] [thread=248489][​IMG][/thread] [thread=269541][​IMG][/thread] [thread=269461][​IMG][/thread] [thread=269494][​IMG][/thread] [thread=269444][​IMG][/thread] [thread=269442][​IMG][/thread] [thread=269449][​IMG][/thread] [thread=261536][​IMG][/thread]

Sage Solitaire

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

August 27th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo & post layout

10. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Hard to put down....I bought the full game. Nice job, Dev!

11. number111

number111 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Surely the best solitaire ever
    Games last just two or three minutes which is great, fast and engagement game
    beautiful minimalist design, great new formula of solitaire,
    I love all of this

12. Jrec15

Jrec15 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2013
    #112 Jrec15, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    I am hooked! Have a solid strategy nailed down and just hit 1970, sitting at 33 on the leaderboard. Definitely a bit of luck involved in getting that, I think the main thing that would push me up a level from there is a four of a kind/straight flush which i did not have. As a huge fan of Threes!, thank you for providing my next addiction and I am also glad this one only takes 3 mins a game vs Threes dragging on really long sometimes.

I'll be very interested to see how this game does financially. I love your IAP and think you're getting quite a bit of buzz as a ftp game. I hope enough people see value in the IAP. The extra modes are great. Double seems to cut down on the luck factor since you have to be more consistent over more hands, and the chance of getting super lucky throughout both decks is very unlikely. Fifteens is interesting, the points for making 15 are a little low, though using two cards is the same value per card as a straight so that is solid. What it also does though is make the board much easier to clear in the end. Which is appreciated because without clearing the board you cant really get a high score, so this cuts down on the failed games from a stalemate at the end. Add in the stats & customization and $3 well spent!

Anyway, big fan and excited for new updates in the future!

13. twoeyedcyclops

Dec 19, 2014
    Hey, if the developer is around, I noticed GameRankings.com is showing the wrong score from Pocket Gamer UK for this game. Pocket Gamer gave it a 9 out of 10 on their website and GameRankings.com is showing it as 6 out of 10, which is erroneously driving down the average score on GameRankings. I hope they can fix it.

14. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    Jrec15 - whoa. nice score !! Yeah the low value of the Fifteen is intentional to make it interesting and versatile. It's worth it on 2 cards, equal on 3, and worse on 4, but it's super functional for clearing

twoeyedcyclops - Thanks for the heads up! I emailed them and they fixed it

15. Jobyn

Jobyn Active Member

Jul 22, 2009
    This might be my favorite game ever. I have been playing in my spare time and may be a bit obsessed. I also might be the top in the Single Deck Lifetime Clears by a large margin.

It might seem like I'm crazy, and I totally agree. That said, you mentioned the clear without using a trash, and I can't do it. The only reason I top the leaderboard is that I can't stop trying. Bought the IAP because it's an amazing game, but have only played one game because the single deck seems more challenging.

So, I have a few questions:

-You mentioned the "!" if I complete without trashing a card. Have I "wasted" my time trying only in single deck, or can I earn it in any mode?

-Are the deals truly random? Because it doesn't seem so, though I don't have any data to prove my point.

-How awesome are you, on a scale of 1-10? Because this game is the best time killer ever. Short, fun, and addicting. Thank you.

16. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    Jobyn - whoa are you Roseph?! If so that is a lot of clears, if not but you're still up top i'm impressed anyway. I only have 24 clears logged. Thanks for buying the iAP and supporting me!

your questions-

You haven't wasted your time, the ! will appear in any mode's statistics if you win a game without trashing. If you can do it in Single Deck I'll be blown away. I spent like two weeks trying to do it in Fifteens mode before I was successful. And Fifteens mode is a lot easier to win in.

Yes the deals are truly random. Lots of people think I'm stacking the deck to be mean because a lot of times you trash a card only to get the same card under it, but that's just the probability and a little bit of confirmation bias. I promise it's 100% random.

Ah I'm glad you like it! I'm not gonna rate myself on 1-10 though :)

17. Jobyn

Jobyn Active Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I am "Roseph". I think the clears come more easily because I'm not trying to get a high score, just clear the board.

As for the random thing, I don't believe in random. Not saying your lying...maybe it's my iPhone messing with me.

18. mchlmc

mchlmc Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Zach Gage does it again! This is another fantastic game from a developer who can apparently do no wrong. Zach has great ideas for games, works out the mechanics beautifully, then puts everything together into some of the most stylish offerings on iOS.

Sage Solitaire is a clever patience game built around poker hands. It is great for a quick game on the go, but has enough to it to keep you playing and playing. The subtle differences in each of the three variations add variety and affect the impact which luck has, giving you a chance to adjust your strategy and keeping the game fresh.

Highly recommended.

19. idaveharris

idaveharris Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    My wife and I are loving this. Any news on new features and GC achievements?

20. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    mchlmc - Thanks !! I'm super glad you're digging it :)

idaveharris - not too much news on achievements at the moment. I have a list but I'm keeping them sort of secret :) Actually if anyone has any ideas for achievements I'd be open to them ! I'm trying to come up with some weird ones like:

make a hand in the shape of an X
    see 9 piles that are all in sequence

etc.

As for other features the main thing that I've been working on is vegas mode, which has finally hit a state where I'm happy with the balance. It's basically like Single Deck except you have a bank of money that persists from game to game (it starts at $1000) (not real money). Before each game starts but after it has been dealt you're able to put in a wager, and that wager, along with how you do in the game, affects the size of the bonus you get if you clear the board. You can also make back money in the game depending on how well you do, but no where near as much as you make if you win the game.

There are going to be two modes within the vegas mode (once I figure out how to fit them in menu/wise). In one mode you can reset your winnings back to $1000 as many times as you want (in case you take big bets and lose), and in the other mode you can never reset your winnings ever, so you have to play a lot more carefully. The second mode is sort of like a very strange combination of streak scoring, average scoring, and serious actual permadeath