Universal Sage Solitaire (By Zach Gage)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by vectorarchitekt, Aug 27, 2015.

1. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am enjoying the game quite a bit, but am hesitant to pull the trigger on the unlock. While the developer deserves support for an excellent game, there seems to be little other incentive to get it since the game is already very generous in providing full access to the main mode with little ad interruptions (too generous?) and it would be tempting just to spend the money on another of the great recent releases. I will probably kick in for the upgrade, but just being honest here and to see what discussion this generates.

2. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    Thanks for the honesty slewis7 ! My hope with Sage is that it's a good game that you'll play for a long time, and the more you play it, the stronger the appeal of having comprehensive statistics and some alternative modes will become.

3. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    Downloaded and instantly upgraded to support the developer good game with nice clean interface

4. Chris Savory

Chris Savory Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Game Developer
    Vancouver, BC
    Stellar game, Zach. Exactly the kind of experience I love on mobile.

5. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    It is this kind of attitude that makes me think that there is still a hope for honest devs amoungst all the dirty F2P schenanigans we now see!

I really hope this generous and player first move pays off for you financially!

6. LarryWP

LarryWP Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2013
    Excellent game! Just the kind of game I needed to fill some open time spots. Love the sounds and fluid animation. Great job!

7. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I hadn't realized this. Great advice!
    Aside from the well-deserved financial support you'll be giving to the developer, I'd say there are a few reasons why unlocking the whole game is worth your while and $. The two additional modes change the gameplay in subtly significant ways and are as elegantly designed as the main mode. The customization of card decks and wallpaper are only cosmetic, obviously, but really nice to have (as are the detailed stats). I vote 'Yes' on the unlock question!

8. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Check out the Low Motion option in the Settings menu.

9. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    L.Lawliet - Sorry dark mode is too busy. I'm thinking about changing the default night mode background to one that's a little more quiet. There definitely are calmer backgrounds available for night mode if you unlock the game

10. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Does the game save at any point to be able to stop & come back any time later? I've only played a couple games but watching the thread on breaks. Great game!!! Great Dev!!!! Thanks for being involved!!!!

11. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    ShinHadoukin - yep, it'll save at any point

12. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I'd love some solid or nearly solid color options. I'm super boring like that.

I played one round last night before I went to bed, and I was like, this is pretty fun, but maybe not worth the unlock. But on the bus to work this morning, I really started seeing the strategy and potential, and the two deck mode sounded really appealing. So, purchase made. Really enjoying it. I think my wife will like it, too.

13. putermcgee

putermcgee Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Seattle
    Not sure if it was intentional, but it seems like ads are delayed quite a bit. It was a while before I even found my way to the main menu where you can buy the full unlock, and I never got a single ad, which is refreshing!

Anyway, I bought the full unlock as soon as I found the option, but I haven't had a chance to try the other modes. I'm just focusing on figuring out some kind of strategy (high score: 1340 only). Love the design, and the gameplay is quick. Reminds me a lot of Fortune (and Pocket Run).

That said, it bugs me a bit how news/reviews are often pinning this as finally a good solitaire game on iOS. Awesome Solitaire is good for traditional solitaire, and Fairway Solitaire is great for an unique take on the game. I'm sure there are several others worth noting as well. Sage Solitaire doesn't feel game-changing, but it's definitely a great take on the formula, and it will likely stay on my phone long after a future iOS version inevitably breaks it.

14. FortyOneNY

FortyOneNY Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    I downloaded this last night because I loved SpellTower and hoped this would be as good. After a short time of playing, I bought the unlock because I loved it. Will it be on Android as well? I have SpellTower for both my iPad and Android phone, and would love to have Sage Solitaire on my phone as well.

15. stfj

stfj Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Male
    putermcgee - glad you're digging it! Yeah I dont show ads for the first 3 games. I wanted to give people a chance to get the hang of it first! I think Solitaire Blitz is probably my favorite solitaire on mobile! I think the thing I was pushing for in interviews was that I was trying to make a game that had the characteristics of classic klondike, but was a more modern game, which is a little different than something like Solitaire Blitz, which was trying to take solitaire rules and make a speedy action game, which is very un-patience conceptually. Definitely though I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this! Sorry the writeups are buggin you!

FortyOneNY- Thanks for buying! Yes I am going to release on android. I just want to nail the iOS release first before I put my attention elsewhere

16. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I don't really like this kind of game but my fiancée loves solitaire for some reason I'll have to make her take a look because of all the feedback here. I'm always trying to make her try more iOS games. At the moment she only plays Hearthstone and then mostly f2p crap

17. Paps Shenanigan

Paps Shenanigan Active Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Having trouble opening this game. It's stuck on the first image and doesn't go anywhere. I've restarted my IPod 5G and even deleted and reinstalled. Really was psyched to get going on this, but I'm stuck. Anyone else having this trouble. Dev help?

18. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I see like 3 different solitaire blitz what one is he talking about I want to check it out

19. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    I believe that Zach Gage has now to stop making games because what he is developing is too dangerous for our lives. These are too addictive and you can't stop playing. Please stop because like this we cannot continue properly with our lives. Please!

20. dragon4ever

dragon4ever Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Fantastic game!!!