Safari/iPod freezing with 3.0 on 1st gen touch

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by crunc, Jun 20, 2009.

1. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Is anyone else having major problems with the 3.0 firmware on their 1st gen iPod touch? It was working well for a little while (a few hours) and then Safari started freezing. Any time I try to go to a web site, any web site, not only does Safari get stuck, but usually my entire iPod gets frozen. The only thing I can do is force it to shut down/restart by holding power and home. After coming back up Safari still does the same thing. I'm currently in the processing of doing a restore and will see if that fixes it. Has anyone else run into this problem?

2. cheer15

cheer15 New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Yes, this same thing has happened to me except safari doesn't load anything at all. Such a pain. Have you found an answer to this problem? I hope Apple does some major work on this... after surfing the interent I've found that many people are having problems with the update, relating to other things besides Safari not working properly.

3. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Yes - I did a restore (from backup) and now my 1st gen iPod is working great with 3.0. Just make sure you choose to restore from your backup so you don't lose any data! And allot quite a bit of time if you have a lot of stuff. Also note that the restore process is annoying in that it will first install the firmware and only then it asks if you want to restore from backup or set up as a new iPod. The firmware install takes maybe 5 minutes or so - I didn't time it. But then you've got hours of restoring all your apps, songs, pictures, data, etc. So don't just start the restore and go to sleep or you'll be extremely disappointed to find freshly installed firmware, but the much longer remaining part of the restore to go!

4. cheer15

cheer15 New Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Oh my gosh, thank you so much!! I couldn't find a way to fix this problem anywhere else... and I'm very surprised this worked so easily. No data was lost and it only took about an hour or so. :) 3.0 is pretty cool when it's working right! Thanks again for your help.