Safari 4 Beta = FAIL

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by brewstermax, Mar 22, 2009.

1. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

The new beta of Safari for the desktop fails. Not completely, but still pretty bad. It copies most of what Chrome and Opera did and succeeded at. It does it ok, but is pushing Cover Flow far too hard. And the new Windows UI looks like sh*t. I used Safari to help me forget that I was using Windows, not remind me again. I don't know why Apple chose to make Safari such a fail, but they did. I hope that they don't do this sh*t with iTunes. I like the gray scale interface, just like OS X. In case you didn't know, Apple, most people use Apple software to get the nice OS X look, not to get yet another Windows UI.

2. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    If you want the OS X look, what's wrong with OS X? :)

3. brewstermax

Nothing. I wish. :rolleyes: I would love to be able to afford a Macbook.

4. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Personally I prefer applications to look like they fit with the system. Quicktime always stuck out like a sore thumb for me on Windows, iTunes is the same. If I were still using Windows I think I'd appreciate this news - if only because the beta was more consistent with the OS I was using.

Buy less apps and you may just be able to save up for a Macbook, they're definitely worth it.

5. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    #5 Coral, Mar 22, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
    I am really liking it on my MacBook (white plastic from 2006). It is fast, stable, and easy to use. Sorry you are having trouble with it.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I have nothing but good things to say about Safari 4. I'm running it on OSX with a 2009 MacBook Pro though. I could see all the eye candy it comes loaded with really bogging down an older computer.

7. brewstermax

I know. I don't like consistency. I like sleek, smooth, and great looking. The essence of Apple.

A CD. I'm not having trouble with it. Other than it being stupid and not recognizing subdomains, and categorizing them separate from the base domain. So I have 12 TA subdomains in my little wall thing.

Well, It has some minor rendering issues. The latest Webkit nightly fixed a lot of it. If I had a 2009 17" MBP, I wouldn't have any performance issues with anything. :(

8. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I am having some issues with new tabs. If I open a new tab and then click a bookmark the page loads but the tab remains on the page of the original tab. Then if I reload the page it shows up. It could be related to running the Webkit nightly builds, but it is a strange bug. I am so used to reloading pages I had forgotten about this.

9. Drkmaster666

Drkmaster666 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    New York
    This is why Firefox was made.

P.S. If any of you guys have gotten your hands on Windows 7 beta... it's way better than Apple UI. I may just be saying that because I like the Windows layout, but this is apple-ified windows that actually has it's own identity, and it works. I'm really liking it.

10. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    exactly. I switched over to firefox about two months ago, and right when I go comfortable. the safari beta comes out. I have deleted firefox off of my macbook.

11. brewstermax

No. OS X owns Windows Siete.

12. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    +1

Mac OWNS ALL!

I have a PC tho..... :mad::(

13. Drkmaster666

Mar 11, 2009
    New York
    pfft, have you tried it? I personally have never like the Mac UI (of course, I am a born and bred windows user), I always found it too simple, and the fact that the laptops have no @#$%ing RIGHT CLICK has always annoyed me. Although spotlight/searchlight/whatever is a nice feature for Macs, it's always mystified me why Windows doesn't have the same. Oh wait, it does now!

14. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I have a brand new Macbook (13 inch...I LOVE it) and I use both Firefox and Safari. It depends what I am planning on doing (Firefox for playing games, Safari for just browsing news and such).

15. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Put two fingers on the trackpad and click. :) And no that isn't recent multitouch technology. I think simplicity is what makes the mac easier to use and an overall better experience.

16. Drkmaster666

Mar 11, 2009
    New York
    But you have to admit that the customization of FireFox is unparalleled in any other web browser. Plus the built in spell checker (how many times can I use it typing one reply haha) makes firefox=FTW

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Not on Macs, where spell-checking is system-wide anyway. (Not that I have anything against Firefox, at least not since version 3...Firefox 2 was pretty horrible-looking.)

--Eric