Universal Rusty Lake: Roots (by LoyaltyGame B.V.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BlackEyedGamer, Oct 21, 2016.

1. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Wooohoo! Just finished the game, including extra content. Itching for a replay but don't really have the time.

It's a very great game, super involving and a great addition to an already great series by really great developers. Did I mention it's great?

Anyway, pick it up if you're not averse to some troubling content, you'll be rewarded with great puzzles, great artwork, and great atmosphere, with quite a few hours (4-8 would be my estimate, with 4 being a very experienced point'n'clicker and 8 hours being someone taking some time) of gameplay.
    I'm not sure if it's clear from the above but the game is GREAT.

2. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Just waiting for my iTunes allowance from the boss (wife). How does this one add to the Rusty Lake memory/shadow creature/Mr. Owl storyline? Does it add new details? Or is it something entirely new?

3. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    It has a lot of Mr. Crow in it...
    It does in fact have Mr. Crow's origin story!
    I'd say Mr. Crow is the biggest link. Obviously, it's set near Rusty Lake, it has some shadow man in it, and it has the usual recurring themes of the occult. Basically it's more of what we know and love with it's own (VERY well-done and interesting) storyline.
    This game made one of the most memorable and terrifying characters in the whole series.
    The mask man is suuuuuuuper creepy. First thing in any of these games to ever spook me out a bit. You follow him throughout his whole life, from birth to death.

So it is it's own thing, with some links, weak and strong, to the overall Rusty Lake mythology. It's nowhere near as connected as the the Case 23/Birthday/Mill/Seasons storyline but it's really fascinating anyway. I'd say it definitely starts giving a huge sense of purpose to the setting, and maybe some clues to the endgame of the series.

4. eksaint

eksaint Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2015

Haha, congrats!

I'm loving it as well. 24 done

5. Can someone who's playing or finished already explained something to me?

The Painting takes place in 1896. So does The Lying Game. Emma dies in the Painting, so that has to be before The Lying Game. Makes sense. But then she's alive again in 1900 for the Wedding Photo. In The Lying Game, that photo is on the wall. And they're supposed to have been married already. So is 1900 a typo or does it make sense at some point? Seems like the Wedding Photo should have been before the other two? I've been playing in chronological order and I think this is the first time it seemed so off.

6. TheGreatEscaper

Oct 10, 2014
    As far as steam users talking about that issue go, it just seems to be a continuity error. Which is a tiny bit a shame given such a story driven game but I don't really mind too much overall.

7. I actually asked the dev since I posted here and they said it's being fixed in an update. So I assume the year was a typo or oversight.

Really enjoying this one, though. Bizarre and creepy but no # yet! Yay! There were a couple of puzzles that the solutions seemed a bit off to me (actually in that same set of chapters), but everything else has been very logical so far. Just completed 22 and need sleep!

8. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #28 y2kmp3, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    Just finished game (
    bonus ending
    ). I was compelled to try out this game given such high recommendations from AppUnwrapper and TheGreatEscaper.

I am a newbie to the Rusty Lake / Cube Escape mythos, so I am at a big disadvantage in understanding much of the nuances of the story. The macabre storyline is expectedly distributing and yet strangely intriguing.

The puzzle design is based on "Escape The Room" type gameplay, so it is moot to argue against the logic about clue placements. The logic, however, is consistent within the world itself.

I am not fond of the final
    alchemy
    puzzle in the
    bonus
    room. The initial clue to get the final
    ingredient
    is obvious, but the trial-and-error nature of the puzzle mechanics for this puzzle troubles me. As far as I can tell, I need to brute force my way through it. I can't recall the last iOS game when I had to take notes on paper to systematically log my attempts. Did I miss something here?

PS: The game is quite buggy. Graphics and gameplay glitches such as duplicate items (
    pipe
    ) and randomy disappearing items (
    alchemy
    ).

9. theknightracer

Jan 12, 2015
    Amazing game 5 stars; i played this days also the series Cube Escape (8 games - Free!!!)... Each of this games could have been easily between 1-2$ for the great puzzles, atmosphere and experience. Looking forward for your next game(s)!

10. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    Absolutely fantastic game, if you're into weird horror games (which I love); everyone who haven't already played those 8 "cube escape" games should give them a try, graphics and the puzzles are the same as in this one, they're all free to play with a short 5 seconds commercial only when you close the game to go to title screen (nothing else).
    One of the games of the year for me, and I can't wait already for the next creepy adventure in the "rusty lake" universe.

11. Are you talking about the scales at the end? Everything made logical sense until now. I balanced the scales but the numbers don't work out and it's driving me nuts. It was all so nice and clear up to this point.

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #32 Vovin, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Maybe it is... too obvious.

They started the development of a new Cube Escape game this week.

13. Too obvious? How so? Even after learning the answer, I don't think it's clear at all. You seem to get the clue you need *after* you would have used that information.

14. Moved past that part despite my displeasure with it. Now working on the bonus content, which I'm really enjoying. :)

15. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Hi, AppUnwrapper,

No. Instead, I was referred to the
    elixir recipe

It was clear from the
    family emblem
    the
    two ingredients
    you need to make the item. However, the
    recipe
    to make the
    ingredients
    must be brute forced. I end up writing out all the combinations to systemically check each one. This is a pain because the components themselves require multiple steps to make, making the whole testing procedure a total time waster.

16. Ah I just finished everything. I actually didn't mind that part so much. Once I realized what was going on, I just started to make a list. It was a lot less complicated once I started doing that.

The scales thing was the only part that annoyed me or really felt like I didn't have enough info. Otherwise I really enjoyed the game.

17. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I am glad to know that I am not the only one needing to use pen and paper to solve that puzzle.

Still, the mere fact that I have to systematically test out each possibility using a list troubles me. There should be more clues (perhaps I missed them) pointing to the hierarchical order of items you need to make. This would make for a cleaner and more elegant puzzle.

18. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    That's great news, thanks for the heads up

19. I'm replaying the game and came across a nasty bug that won't let me continue. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm in The Brood and I've done everything I need to, but
    I can't make the baby. The egg and semen just float there with both liquids pouring in on them
    . I've tried resetting the chapter several times and it still won't work.

20. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I decided to buy both of best games for .99 each as a thank you to the developers for their free cube series!