Universal Rusty Lake Hotel (by LoyaltyGame B.V.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 14, 2015.

1. stelluhreyesthis

stelluhreyesthis Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Really weird creepy puzzles, fun, def worth the cost of admission at this point, (3 nights in) playing on iPad Air 1 on account of I shattered my iPhone 6

2. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Thanks. I was just gonna ask what order to play them in.

3. Other

Other Member

Sep 27, 2015
    I didn't enjoy this as much as their other Cube Escape games. Not to say that it was a bad experience, but the puzzles weren't as clever nor engaging, and I missed the decidedly more abstract, eerie, and obtuse atmosphere of the other titles.

4. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Playing Cube Escape Seasons right now. I'm probably going to buy Hotel just to throw some support the devs way.

How is this my first time playing these!?

5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    With the ending sounding somewhat linked to the other games, think I may start with Seasons. Have never played any of them before.

Also, looks like all of the others are (currently?) free.

6. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    #26 Sash-O, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    I've asked myself the same question!^^

That's why I started with Cube Escape: Seasons first.;)

They have always been for free!
    How can these guys survive?
    Only one game for 1.99 & the rest of them without ads & IAP? Respect!
    Rusty Lake Hotel, here I come!:)

7. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Can someone try to explain to me the ending?

8. xBTAx

xBTAx Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    #28 xBTAx, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    I'm on the third night currently; I think some of the puzzles could be designed better but it's enjoyable overall. I'm stuck on the
    radio. I know what the puzzle's solution, and even checked the walkthrough to make sure I was right. I just can't get it to work for some reason, even if I'm waiting longer between each movement; is there a trick I'm missing?
    I'll also say that given how nice the artstyle is in general, the exterior of the hotel itself looking so clean/like pixel art is kinda jarring.

I think I might check out their previous games before I finish, in any case.

9. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    The art style alone makes this completely irresistible to me.

10. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Fantastic game!

11. RustyLake

RustyLake Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Thanks for all the comments, really appreciate it! :)

Check pm!

12. bugsland

bugsland Active Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Great little game if you like puzzler and room escape type game. I missed the series somehow. So I played all the other games before buying this one and don't regret it.
    Weird atmosphere, a bit spooky.
    Quite amazing all the previous games in the series are free. This one seems more polish, has more content.

I understand if some people thinks it is a bit easier, but that's probably because if you have played the whole series your mind is already used to the tricks the dev through at you.
    I found the puzzles quite imaginative and varied. And some are quite hard to solve.

Thanks to the dev for a different take on room escape.

Last room to solve now...

13. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Is there a walkthrough guide of some sort for this game? This game reminds me of the movie 'The Lobster'

14. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

This is easily my GotY (Series of the Year, really)

What's important about this game is that it's part of a series called Cube Escape. I'm not sure how I missed this entire series; I probably wrote it off as yet another "escape the room" game. What makes Cube Escape special though is the story and the atmosphere. All of the games in the series take place in the same universe, so you'll see the same characters throughout, and the games build on each other. As you play each one, you uncover a little bit more of the mystery of Rusty Lake. The games aren't exactly scary (though they do feature a couple jump scares) but are definitely unsettling and mysterious. I was definitely drawn in by the spooky atmosphere, and I stayed for the story.

Rusty Lake is one of the mysterious locations that is central to the plot of the other games in the series. Rusty Lake actually takes place before any of the other games in the series, so it's interesting to meet some of the characters that later feature in the other episodes. Although I haven't completed Rusty Lake Hotel yet, I can tell that it's easily the deepest and most complex episode yet.

15. RustyLake

RustyLake Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Yes you can watch them on our YouTube channel

Thanks for this beautiful description lazypeon! This is exactly what we stand for:)

16. lazypeon

Patreon Bronze

Absolutely! I just beat Rusty Lake Hotel a few hours ago, and immediately played it again to figure out
    the secret code. I don't know what it's for yet, but I wanted to make sure I was ready!
    The series really evokes the feel of some of my other favorite iOS games from Simogo (Device 6 and Year Walk), but in a way that is totally unique. I think the interconnectedness really puts it on another level.

I have so many questions now -- not expected answers, but just musing outloud:

With regard to Mr. Crow and Mr. Owl,
    these characters seem to be recurring in other episodes. I believe Crow was the boatman in the Lake, and Owl created a storm in the Mill. Due to the time period that Hotel takes place in, it's interesting that the two are still alive in the more recent episodes. Does Mr. Owl have special powers? Why does he care about memories? Is he a good or evil character? I got a Charon vibe from Mr. Crow

In Case 23, probably my favorite episode overall,
    I thought it was interesting to get a different perspective on the events that had taken place. I really liked the callbacks to the original episode and the death of the woman. When I read the description of this episode after playing the first couple, I started to realize that this was all part of some bigger mythology
    The detective is also really cool. One of my favorite moments in the Mill was when
    you're on the receiving end of the call that the detective placed from his office. I think it's one of the hallmarks of the series that you get to experience the same event from multiple perspectives, but you're not always sure WHO you are experiencing the moment as.

Seasons is my second favorite episode because of the fact that you
    replay the same room over and over, and can affect things in the other rooms. I went from being scared of the 'shadow guy' to wondering if I was in fact the shadow guy. As I recall, in the beginning it seems like we are being stalked by the shadow guy, but by the end, it almost seems like WE'RE the shadow guy and we're stalking the woman. I really like the recurring theme of the woman and the murder, and allowing us to interpret what we think if happening.

Harvey is another interesting character. There are a few references to him that make me think
    that he must be a bird/parrot. I think in one episode, there is a direct reference to the bird being named Harvey. It would also make sense with Harvey's Box, which would explain why the episode takes place in a box. I thought it was very interesting that Mr. Owl referred to us as 'Harvey' at the end of the Hotel, suggesting that we were actually a bird in that episode the whole time. Does that mean that we're working for Mr. Owl? What's the connection between Harvey and Mr. Owl?

Finally, the mythos of Rusty Lake is fascinating. It's interesting to try and think about what it is and what's going on there.
    In several of the episodes, there are references to Rusty Lake being some kind of mental facility/rehab/relaxation center. Mr. Boar for instance is there to recover from his addictions. There are some implications that the shadow guy needs to go there to be rehabilitated

After finishing Hotel, I'd say I'd put it right up near the top in terms of quality and enjoyment. The tone is a bit different, but I like the strange and macabre nature of the episode. It was interesting to find out how you'd
    kill all of the hotel guests
    , based on the contents of their room. The puzzles were really thoughtful and well-designed. I was never frustrated or stuck for too long. I thought that the
    stars for completing the optional recipe ingredients
    were a fantastic touch, and lends a hint of replayability in a genre that doesn't really do replayability well. When
    to be continued
    rolled across the screen, I was ecstatic because I can't wait to see where you take this next!

17. lazypeon

Patreon Bronze

In case you haven't found it yet,
    they're in the boar's room. After he uses the restroom and leaves, you can keep clicking the toilet and you'll eventually get the tomatoes.

18. TheGreatEscaper

TheGreatEscaper Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Thanks lazypeon I found it :)
    One of my favorite iOS escape/point n click series!

19. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Glad I ran across this series--better late than never! With all the other ones being free, I hope this lone paid installment makes the developer some income!

20. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Just check out their fb and you know whats going on ;-)