Universal Rust Bucket (by Nitrome)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zen_mode, Dec 17, 2015.

1. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Not to bring up the insane pricing model differences bw mobile and other platforms, but $3.99 to kill ads? Oof. Nitrome is good at squeezing away my $ thats for sure. I still went for it tho bc you know, one love and everything.

2. BillyOceansBlues

BillyOceansBlues Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Well-spoken. Times change. There are still a TON of traditional roguelikes being made on mobile and pc, and they're totally great. You can still get your over-the-top hotkey arrangement fix really easily elsewhere.

3. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    But most iOS roguelikes don't look as good as this game or Into The Dim. Both are strategy games, good ones. But for both I whish they'd be true endless random roguelikes.

4. 9x16

9x16 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    EST/EDT
    Can someone describe how this compares to Ending, apart from the obvious graphical differences? I'd thought about grabbing it before this popped up. Would it still be worthwhile?

5. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #25 zen_mode, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    Same core concept, just more complex environment with things like breakable varses etc.

Either way, the game is free to download, so you could always give it a go anway.

Edit: just realised that you probably meant grabbing Ending. There's just less going on in that game and it's also extremely difficult to survive more than a couple of minutes. The difficulty ramps up very quickly.

6. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Aaahahah, I totally overlooked the endless mode. Now this game got me completely. This is what Into The Dim is missing right now. Spent the 4 bucks to get rid of all ads. This will keep me occupied for quite a while.

7. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Totally agree, it's more of a "roguelite" the a "roguelike".... Maybe "roguepuzzler?" Ha, who cares, it's a fun game. I personally don't feel $4 is too steep. #

8. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    #28 ShinHadoukin, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    Does it save while you make a run in infinite mode, so you can stop & come back to the game if need be?

9. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Really digging this can't wait for more levels did my part and paid to remove ads :)

10. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Nope. Not surprising though, it's almost never implemented anymore. Probably because it's hard to do in Unity. Oh and because so few people notice it's missing and complain, which is a shame.

11. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Despite the lack of save states I'm really enjoying the infinite mode overall. Very tight design just like Ending. Perfect for mobile.

Tutorial was good too. Got stuck on the second section of the last level for a couple of tries. Until I figured out that the loop near the top is my friend.

12. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Yesterday i started infinite and paused it. I forgot about it, and this morning i finshed where i left off...without quitting the app, of course. Not every game stays that long in the multitask bar. Great.

And the game gets better and better. Strategy/outwitting is written big here, lovely.

13. Powerik

Powerik New Member

Jul 5, 2015
    I #

I love your design!!! Super!

14. FiloMJ

FiloMJ Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Male
    4$ to get rid of ADS is unfair. Nitrome on mobile has a monetization method that's unfair for me.

The only nitrome game i've installed is icebreaker... All The others are freemium, like This, with 4$ to get rid of ADS. No Thanks.

15. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    It's perfectly fair. A bargain, in fact. If you don't feel like the game is worth that amount of money to you, that's your opinion, but it doesn't make the price unfair by any stretch of the imagination.

How much do you think good video games should cost, if you think $4 is too much?

16. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I honestly could not disagree more. I plonked down my three united kingdom pounds after one game and haven't looked back since. High score of 9 but aiming for 13 and it keeps me coming back.

17. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    ;)
    I hope in 2016 the developers start to pay US money for playing their free games.
    ;)

This pearl made it in the last minute to be my most addictive and best one-hander game this year, and therefor my last open place for a GOTY nomination.
    (Dethroned Pac-Man 256)

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    After reading through the complaints in the Marvel Future Fight official forums i thought i wouldnt find anything as unreasonable in the TA thread for the day anymore. Lo and behold, this post had to exist. :p

19. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    I can only hope that the dev doesn't read comments like this and feel discouraged, as most reasonable people would know that this is an absolutely insane point of view, even for those that didn't find the game their cup of tea.

Me, like many others, gladly unlocked the game after only a couple of minutes, and probably did so with some guilt knowing how many hours of pure entertainment this will bring us for a criminally low cost.

20. your personal robot

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Ha. same here, now among my fav games of the year. Just so addicting and fun.