Universal Rush Rally Origins (by Brownmonster)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by MetaGonzo, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Gotters

Gotters Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    performance on the Switch and my iPhone both appear very smooth, but for me the physical buttons on the Nintendo device make this game far more enjoyable, double dipped by mistake as didn't realise when buying on the phone there was a Switch version too !

not unhappy though as the game is a bargain at £5.

hopefully some more DLC content to follow with more locations/tracks ?

2. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I’m thinking I’ll look for a video that explains the guy’s on-the-fly instructions since I have no experience with rally racing. Is that crucial to better performance or do you just get the feel for it after a while?

3. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    i feel like it’s not as crucial in this top down view, as it would be in a more sim like game where your view is in the vehicle from the driving position.
    Essentially the calls from the co driver are for the upcoming road ahead, whether it be a corner, jump, crest etc..

They key to the calls in this game are whether the corners are medium, tight or hairpins.. these are the best indicators of how much speed you can carry into them..

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  4. Brownmonster

Brownmonster Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Software Engineer /Company Director
    England
    Thanks GPS, it's been a while! I've just pushed out an update with the handbrake and manual gears as an option. I tried to make this game pick up and play fun, which it does achieve, however I can appreciate some people like a bit more of an "advanced" mode. So it's no issue bringing them back for those players :)

5. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Thanks, it needs lots of positivity in the actual store reviews, to match the positivity I'm reading all over the web, this will balance out the minor negatives that have come up in the store reviews (no handbrake for example)!

I'm a big Sim Racer, and in developing this game, I wanted to make the controls "simple but complex", which is why a tap of the brake, and back on the accelerator, is basically the "same" as hitting the handbrake. However I wasn't expecting some of the comment I got for leaving the Handbrake out!!!

Normality is resumed now for those who felt lost... :)

Echoseven likes this.
  6. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Hi BM, welcome to the forum. Thanks for such an outstanding game!

I think the handbrake will be great, I must say though the way the “tap the brake” worked it hadn’t occurred to me that it was an issue.
    This game should be getting a lot of love.. it is outstanding.

I did ponder the other day while playing…how good would the pikes peak hill climb be in this! Just sayin! :)

7. elcrazy

elcrazy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2017
    I love when a developer drops by a thread to comment. Specially one of such high caliber games. So seeing that just sold me. I bought the game just now and will give it a go later tonight. I’m more of an arcadey racer kind of guy but something about this keeps pulling me in. And I’m happy to support a developer that drops by and cares about their customers. So at the very least I’m happy to support. Good luck with the release. I look forward to diving in shortly.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    @Brownmonster is old school TA! :D

9. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Hi Brownmonster,
    I feel like this is not running as smooth since the most recent update.. it’s very jerky (not technical term), not sure if it’s dropping frames or just struggling. To the point where it is impacting the driving, as I am missing corners as it skips..
    I,ve tried heaps of various setting, and it seems to be struggling no matter what.
    Cheers

10. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    Well it is certainly pretty lol. But I can’t beat the first time track. No idea what I’m doing wrong lol. It doesn’t give you any instructions on the tap to drift or using the handbrake. I think I’m doing the tap to drift properly but who knows. And I usually turn sound off for games so I won’t be hearing the instructions lol. It’s a great game I’m sure but I don’t think it’s for me. I’ll give it some more goes but somehow so far I’m terrible at it.

11. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    I find that I’m not using the brakes that much, the tap to drift and handbrake essentially do the same thing…
    Getting a decent time is more about maintaining speed, on the sharper turns it’s about timing the drift right to sweep around the corner. It is a bit tricky to get the feel for how the flow of the car goes.
    Don’t let the stage time bother you too much, unlocking cars and upgrades is based on the distance you drive each car.. so no matter how fast or slow you are, you can upgrade and unlock cars regardless.
    I think you will get to a point where it clicks for you, and it really is a satisfying feeling when you do eventually nail a quick time on a stage.

hey BM, not sure if there is a way you could configure a quick tutorial into the game :)

elcrazy likes this.
  12. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Thanks for this info. There are some tooltips on loading, the problem is that loading is so fast people are not seeing them LOL. It's a bit cheeky to "slow" the loading down just so people have time to read the tips!

We are looking into making it "easier" without ruining the way it works, Gold should be a challenge, and is actually easy enough once you get to grips with the handling, Bronze should be easy enough to progress. We are thinking about just allowing people to progress once they have played, rather than placed bronze or above!

New build with more fixes coming soon anyway hopefully that will sort out your issues GPS.

13. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Awesome, you are amazing!

14. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Thanks for your review, the market is super tough right now it seems, getting people to actually buy seems near impossible right now, even with a highly polished product!

15. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Y
    yeah, everyone loves the free stuff, then complains when there’s IAP’s all through it.
    Give me a premium top quality game any day, especially with the production values like this has.
    Personally I think this is a steal at the price it is.

16. elcrazy

Sep 19, 2017
    I think the game is beautiful and I’m sure it’s awesome lol. I just can’t progress past the first level. That being said don’t make it so that all you she to do is play. Maybe ease up on the bronze medals is all. And for sure add a quick tutorial, maybe two with both options (parking break and new tap) or at least one with your new system. I doubt I’m missing anything. I am quickly lifting and clicking and I am drifting. But I have never been this bad at any racing game lol. Most I’m quite good at. I still want to play but not finding self frustrated as I keep quitting mid run lol. Anyways best of luck with release. I won’t ask for a refund even if I don’t continue to play. You deserve it for all your work and being a developer that care. All the best !!

17. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Hey, the new update should allow you to progress by simply finishing a race :)

Thanks for your support :)

18. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Also the new update seems much much smoother on my iPad now too, woohoo. Great stuff!

19. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #39 ste86uk, Nov 4, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
    Currently on sale for 2.49

Sales always make me want to buy games I was never quite sure were my thing even when I have loads to play already.