Universal Rush Rally 2 (By Brownmonster)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brownmonster, May 18, 2016.

1. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Peerless iOS racing at its incomparable best.

2. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Mr. Brown deserves everyone's support and then some!

3. trancemanelk

trancemanelk Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Bought the game late last night, but only managed a few minutes of play because the girlfriend was insistent on "just chatting." No complaints whatsoever thus far. I really enjoyed this title. I can tell a lot of work went into the graphics and fluidity. The physics are spot on as well.

What made this game so enjoyable was that I am (and many others I'm sure) are able to humanize the developer. This isn't from EA or Ubisoft, this is from one knowledgable, dedicated, man oversees. I say "overseas," because I'm in California. Personally, that makes a huge difference. And the fact that Brownmonster cares enough about his product and its buyers to maintain contact with them just goes the extra mile, for me at least. So, thank you, Brownmonster. I'll be sure to spread the word about this game to my fellow game enthusiasts in person and on social media.

Gotta ask - I haven't had time to really explore the game yet. So I'm curious as to whether any California locations are strewn about the game? Los Angeles or the Bay Area? What about Vegas?

Thanks for your time,
    Justin

4. Brownmonster

Brownmonster Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Software Engineer /Company Director
    England
    Haha love it!

I have to say I am still in love with this game, yes I see a few jagged edges here and there (like for example the colour of the lens flare in Finland needs warming up a little!), but getting recognition from you guys and Apple has really made my day, such that my wife has cracked open the champagne already!

My goal is simple, be the best rally game on the app store and console quality, if it comes with being the best racing game then of course that's a bonus! I wanted to make a "proper" racing game for "proper" gamers, none of this IAP nonsense. I wanted to make a game that I would love to play, just like what I played when I as a kid.

As for locations, there are 7 countries dotted about the globe (so far), the last is U.S.A. and has the full Pikes Peak track (which is generated from a spline I traced over Google maps, and terrain height data I took from somewhere like NASA, so its "fairly" accurate!).

It's worth the journey though, I love that track, 10 minutes of pure non stop rally action :)

5. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Agree with all, solid racing game with very reasonable upfront pricing, great value. Not to diminish those merits, but comparing this to current or even last-gen console quality is a stretch. Don't get me wrong, it's great, but to be fair, its texture and model quality are at best, comparable to the PS2's gran turisimo series, which, by the way, was exceptional at the time. On the the other hand, it displays a twice the resolution the PS2, but never the less, there has been an obvious trade-off in overal detail level to ensure that 60fps is consistent across such a wide range of devices.

6. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    #86 Brownmonster, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Agreed, interestingly the xbox360 and ps3 games were barely ever at 1080p, 99% of the time they were rendered at 720p and mostly at 30fps. Mobiles these days push out > 1080p, so to achieve 60fps for Rush Rally 2 is pretty neat. To compare mobile device to the xbox360/ps3 is a strecth i'll admit it, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the gameplay and experience is comparable to console rather than just the graphics!

BTW what device do you play on because on small phones it looks pretty sharp? Also what settings do you run the graphics at in the options? Only the 6s and 6s+ can really run full graphics quality with full realtime reflections and high texture quality.

7. TouchiMedia

TouchiMedia Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Doesn't help when mobile websites clamor about the power of iOS and android devices being close to current gen when it's far from those and even last gen.

The devices are powerful but the battery is what limits them. I'm sure the developer did their best with this and it looks really good for mobile- and probably close to the best you can get it. But it's still behind games like Dirt on last gen consoles because mobile devices just aren't that powerful mostly because of the battery power ratio. Even the great recently released Titan Quest struggles to keep up without draining battery in an hour. And that doesn't hold up too great vs Diablo 3 on last gen systems. Still they do great for what is capable on mobile devices.

But I shrug when websites talk about how powerful mobile devices are getting and competitive to consoles when they have no experience developing. The more they hype up the power of mobile devices- the higher the expectations get and its unfair to Devs. Mobile devices certainly have come a far way but still behind consoles by a considerable margin. Developers have to do a lot of shortcuts in order to get the games to look as good as they do but still there's a lot that limits them due to mobile power.

That being said- be nice if there were more dirt particles being flung up when I'm ripping around on the back roads :D

Other then that , very nice job. Love the touch controls very responsive and very nice handling!

8. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Well said! I'd love more dust but mobile chips cannot cope with lots of particles, the game amusingly runs at 1200fps on my pc (and my gpu is nothing special!)

9. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Looking forward to looking at the leaderboards in the morning to see who has the top spots!

10. heartydragon

heartydragon Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2016
    How does this game compare to Collin McRae which on my 6s+ runs like butter and has great physics and locales. Are you saying it's better then Colin McRae?

11. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    I'll let the others answer that as I'm biased! But to me there is no comparison, in fact this makes Colin McRae look tired. (I used to love Colin mcrae too)

12. razorracer83

razorracer83 Well-Known Member

Having played this game and Colin McRae Rally, I can honestly say this is much better than Colin McRae. Rush Rally generally feels like heart was put into the game, whereas McRae feels artificial. As good as Codemasters PC and console games are (DiRT Rally is fantastic), their mobile games leave a lot to be desired.

13. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Imo. They both run very smooth and both are great games but I'd say Colin McRae is a more arcade experience where as this feels more like a proper rally game. Seems a bit more realistic.

14. heartydragon

Apr 30, 2016
    So by realistic you mean good damage modeling affecting car control. Good weight to the vehicles as well?

15. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Mainly the physics seem really good. The vehicles have good weight and handling to them.

16. heartydragon

Apr 30, 2016
    There is damage yes?

17. heartydragon

Apr 30, 2016
    I noticed there is side-by-side racing in the video is it rally mostly just one car on the track alone trying to beat the time

18. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    There is damage yes, mainly physical but you can see bent wheels axles etc etc. There are 37 rally tracks (single a to b race tracks, including 12.42 miles of pikes peak). 18 rally cross circuits (against 5 opponents) and 18 mini game modes!

19. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Thanks for your feedback and I'm totally going to get the game! I'm so impressed with this being a one person design and your first game was awesome! More and more independent developers are showing that the big name studios aren't necessary to create premium non IAP driven titles! For this and your ongoing engagement with TA users I thank you!

Not to distract this forum but I urge you all to also look at Mekorama ... Another one person designer who chose a "pay what you want" model and allows for user created levels to be shared via QR codes... --- amazing game with user created levels and hope that the developer's creative yet risky pricing pays off as I would suspect majority will pay at least .99 when they realize it is amazing!

Congrats with this wonderful racer and can't wait to play it later tonight!

20. heartydragon

Apr 30, 2016
    Everyone seems to be leaving positive feedback and your very responsive to all our concerns. That's good enough for me. I'll be plunking my money down. Love that you made this premium. Thanks for that.