Universal Rush Rally 2 (By Brownmonster)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brownmonster, May 18, 2016.

1. Brownmonster

Brownmonster Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Software Engineer /Company Director
    England
    Hehe, I kept this one a bit quiet (I have got another one coming in the next few days with some optimisations for AppleTV). This is more ground work for the next one :)

Thanks

2. henrycupcake

henrycupcake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015
    lol I have never seen an Indie developer dedicating to their games like you, u are treating this game like your baby , I can feel the enthusiasm

3. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    It is my 3rd child! :)

I love making games, especially racing games, and I just want this to stand out as one of the best, at the minute I'm moving onto the next game so watch this space! I've put in ALOT of effort (> 5 years) so I need to make it pay!

Thanks!

4. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Cannot wait to see what you've got for us next!

5. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    So I recently bought this in a sale, I figured I would try another racing game after enjoying Horizon Chase. I should have realized how different they were :p. That being said, the game still fascinates me, since navigating tough terrain/tracks seems to be the goal as opposed to just speed.

Could someone point me towards a good guide on how to get more skilled at handling the cars? I can tell theres a lot of nuance required to use them well.

6. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Horizon Chase is a great arcade racer, I should get back into that on my new iPad.

Yes, RR2 is very different, you are right in that the terrain is a obstacle and it's all about carrying the momentum of the car most efficiently through the corners. I started to play RR2 like an arcade game and rapidly fell off the track.

Once I started to feather the throttle a bit more and "feel" the tracks it got a lot better. I suggest working up speed gradually in a car of your choice and just learning the tracks.

The sense of achievement when you get that perfectly timed handbrake dab and slide through a corner is great. RR2 does a great job of providing a real sense of the weight of the car and it's interaction with the track.

The cars are very different and the fastest is not necessarily the best to learn with, I like the Mini-clone for it's tight handling.

I hope it clicks for you, it's the best rally racer on iOS for my money.

7. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Thanks for the tips. My "research" led me to watching all the rally-racing compilations on YouTube, and now I realize the type of of atmosphere the game is trying to recreate. The handbrake and weird announcer make a lot more sense after reading up on rally racing too.

I saw the dev asking how to make the game more accessible, so here's a suggestion from someone who didn't even know what rally racing was. Maybe have a short tutorial where you give a summary of Rally racing (or at least how it differs from regular racing), an explanation of the terrain types, and an explanation of what the handbrake is for and drifting.

8. Kimchisoju

Kimchisoju Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Caregiver
    I'm curious too! When can we see images of your next game? Love this one and any time there is a post I jump on an read and re read everything on here.

9. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Hehe, thanks, i'm a little behind with it at the moment but it IS in the works still for sure :)

Ste

10. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Oh my god- Pikes Peak is gone!! # Instead of the best track of this game there came up a buggy track!! What's goin' on Brownmonster!? # Heeeeelp!!!!! #

11. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    A fix is coming, waiting on Apple... again...

12. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
  13. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #753 VirtualBoyFreak, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    I had a 4S with iOS 7.1.2 and now I have an SE with the latest iOS. I've reinstalled the game and it has detected my old save. When I try to run the auto-detect graphics, the game crashes. EDIT: the game crashes constantly, whichever track I choose to play. Should I reset my savegame?

14. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Does it crash simply even loading into each track? Are you on latest?

15. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #755 VirtualBoyFreak, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Yes, I tried running in the USA and it crashed. When it tries to load a track it crashes. iOS 10.3.1 and latest game version. EDIT: deleted and reinstalled and now it works. Thanks!

16. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Curious, how hard would it be to implement the ability to run the game to match 120hz on the new iPads? Is the game hard capped at 60fps currently?

17. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    The game runs at the device vsync, there is no capping, if it cannot reach that then is simply scales down and you will most likely see tearing (however my phone runs at about 50hz maxed out but you cannot notice the tearing)

18. TheVimFuego

TheVimFuego Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2014
    Just wanted to bump this because I’ve been playing for an hour after a bit of a break and had forgotten what a gem this is.

If you’re a racing fan and haven’t played this you’re missing out.

I finally get an MFI controller this week, looking forward to getting back into RR2, the feel of the cars is super well done and damage modelling ace.

I know I sound like a paid promotion but ...

19. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Thanks!

The reason it has all been a bit quiet is because I've been working on the next game, and it has taken a bit longer than I first thought (especially as I've been having work done on my house at the moment, which I'm doing some of!). Shortly I'll be releasing some screenshots of the new version for you all to enjoy as well! I've added stuff like full decal/car customisation, upgrades, career mode, hot lap mode etc etc, and basically made it all a bit more "proper game" like.

Ste

20. GPS

GPS Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Australia
    Sounds great cannot wait to try the new features! Any info you can pass on regarding your next game ��