Universal Rush Rally 2 (By Brownmonster)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brownmonster, May 18, 2016.

1. TouchiMedia

TouchiMedia Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    This surprised me - touch controls are well done and handling is very good/responsive.

I been playing Dirt Rally on console but this is an impressive mobile rally racer.

Very nice :)

2. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Tried out with a game controller and it works great. Full controller support (means both menu and game can be "touchscreen-free"

Oh, just played the first campaign game, I am yet to see another car on tract. Feel very different than Collin McRae Rally. Expect experience more oversteering later.

3. Brownmonster

Brownmonster Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Software Engineer /Company Director
    England
    It's fair to say you get ALOT of game for your money with this one! Let's not forget it is only 60mb! The beauty if procedural generated data!

4. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Haha, what are the chances of picking the same day! At least the are completely different games!

5. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Game center is used to get your friends so you can race against friend ghosts and times, exactly like the Facebook login. The leaderboard is cross platform so you can play against Facebook and Android players too. Also you have to log in to see the world times.

6. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Glad you like it! The s class cars are a lot more slidey when you unlock them! Use the handbrake to get it sliding, even the D class cars can do it!

If you want to see more cars on the track, play the rally cross mode!

7. trancemanelk

trancemanelk Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2015
    This game looks as if it has potential. What graphics engine was utilized? The install size is very minimal. Is this online-only, or do additional files download upon opening on device? Thanks

*any locations in California, in the game?

8. BroonBottle

BroonBottle Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    First impressions are great. Just been playing the first time trial a few times to get a feel for it and think I'll be playing this one a lot. I do notice some questionable times on the leaderboard already, top 2 times of 1:18 when the rest are 1:47+. I'd also like the leaderboards to be divided by car class but these aren't deal breakers at all

9. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Thanks, and damn you are right, if you download the ghost you can see that time is not even there (I actually know that guy so I'm going to ask him what happened!). The car class is shown on the leaderboard but not divided so its a start at least :)

10. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    I wrote the engine myself over the past 5 years in my spare time. 100% hand written and no 3rd party code. Works on PC/iOS/Android/tvOS. I've done it enough times for AAA companies such that I decided to do it for myself! The install size is minimal yes and there are no additional download packs. The whole game is procedurally generated! The only proper location in the game is Pikes Peak, which is the finale of the championship!

11. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Any game by the makers of the best Mario Kart game since Mario Kart gets my attention.

People Have Different Tastes?....

12. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Ok, that explanation really makes sense. That sold me, I'm in :)

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    It has more traction than I expect, may be I am driving a Class-D car. BTW, which controller button brings me the handbrake?

14. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Great stuff thanks, this game was driven by the toucharcade beta testers, so any feedback will be welcome and more than likely taken on board. If this does well it will be the first of many :)

Its probably worth me making the app description clearer about Gamecenter as you are not the only one to have mentioned this!

15. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Rally cars do have a suprising amount of traction, games like Colin McRae feel like you are driving on ice, but then that is heavily arcade biased! Class-D is slower and thus more "tractive" so to speak, really Class-S is where it gets throw about-able! On my MFi pad (Mad Catz Steel Series) the handbrake is X,if you hold the handbrake down it also dips the clutch so you should be able to rev the car up when you find the right button. This game is ALL about the handbrake so let me know if you cant find it!

16. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    HAHA love it, I wrote all the vehicle/boat and aeroplane physics for that game (as well as the cameras and animation system... oh and some game mode stuff! :)). Apart from Rush Rally 2, Sonic Transformed was the most fun game I've ever made!

17. trancemanelk

trancemanelk Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2015
    Impressive! Thanks for the info. Heading over to buy it right now. #

18. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Good stuff. I was in on the beta on my 5s but I've just upgraded to the 6plus so time to buy this and get playing again because it was fantastic.
    Made even more amazing by the small file size because the graphics and physics are spot on.

19. Brownmonster

Mar 19, 2015
    England
    Great! nice to know that file size counts for people, I tried to get it as LOW as possible to prove a point, and to show how a game "should" be made from a technical point of view! It's frustrating having to delete 20 odd apps to install a new game :)

20. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    #40 redribbon, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Proud beta tester of this game (i just bought the game from the appstore) and i can only say that this is hands down the best rally game on the appstore. both graphics and gameplay are equally great. steering, brake system, damage system and everything else are perfectly tuned. im a rally fans myself, so im a bit picky when im about to spend my time to play the game. the developer is active in this forum and he will answer all your suggestion, question, critics, etc to make this game even better. can't wait for what he will bring on the next project. congrats BM and best luck to you.

ps. ill post this review too on ID appstore.