Universal Runic Rampage (by Crescent Moon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JoshCM, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Completed the game. It's too short:) also, last two acts requires running through already completed chapters to gather rune stones. But it was fun:)

2. Reaganomics

Reaganomics Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I would kill for that kind of free time.

3. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    Guys, I'm prob. just pretty shitty at this game but I keep dying not even in the first act. But the first LEVEL. :(

Is there any way to heal?

4. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    How long was your run through and what is the replay value like?

5. Brightsiderus

Feb 1, 2017
    Red heal orbs fall from the enemy. You can heal from them.

6. Brightsiderus

Feb 1, 2017
    Didn't count. There are 34 (plus minus two or three) pieces of rune stone, I have completed each level in about five minutes. Also, I died many times. It takes 4-7 hours hours to complete the game minimum. Replay value is big, because of the procedure-generated levels. As long as you want to play, you can do it:)

7. Bumpygames

Bumpygames Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2016
    croatia
  8. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    #28 jpgold, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Is there a trick to beating the first boss? Getting my butt handed to me. Not even making a dent.

Edit: figured it out on my next try haha

9. dominici

dominici Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Librarian
    Australia
    The Android version has the background music stuttering badly. This is on a Nexus 6P. Also, it doesn't flow very well, game mechanics wise, just a little bit stilted, not like Pocket RPG or Titan Quest, which flowed better as ARPGs.

10. Jackaluk

Jackaluk Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    IPhone X support please, surprised something so new does not support the screen!

11. Jackaluk

Jackaluk Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Also, can you remove on screen controls when you have a controller connected.

Cheers,

12. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    I really tried to like this game. But imo its one of the most uninspired rpg / hack'n'slash game i have played in a long time.

It feels so empty and the enemies are all the same with a reskin on every act. The four attributes you can lvl up are just boring and don't change gameplay even when maxed. And the way the game handles equipment is a joke. I played up to act 3 where the cave collapses from time to time without warning and although i have upgraded my char with grinding to the maximum, i get killed with no reason by the cave collapse during fighting. The very little fun i had left is now destroyed by bad level design.

I really don't understand the good reviews on the forum about this game.

13. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    #33 JohnnyClash, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    If this were a FTP game, I would have already deleted it. It's graphically ugly and feels dated. The music is forgettable and seems to loop in 2 to 3 second intervals. I have an hour of playtime in at this point. I am still in Act 1.2, maybe it gets better. Definitely no early hook with this game. I'll keep playing to see how it unfolds, if boredom does not overtake me first.

14. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    hoping boredom does not overtake you, lol.
    it took the developer about 5 years to make the game, and I think he started making the graphics several years ago - so they do have that '5 years old' iOS rpg look.
    If it were made now it could probably use the low poly look and get away with it.

15. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    It's funny because the negative comments are actually describing the things I love about Runic Rampage. It's a simple and straightforward hack 'n slash, similar to games from the Dreamcast and PS2 era.

There is absolutely no shortage of needlessly complex, free to play grind-a-thons out there, so if that's what you're looking for then take your pick. But if you just want to hop into a game, smash a bunch of dudes with a hammer, and play through an actual campaign, Runic Rampage is great.

It has personality and charm, whereas I couldn't pick out a defining feature of the hundreds of other f2p hack 'n slashes out there if you had a gun to my head. Impressive, considering this was made by one dude and the popular f2p games all have teams in the dozens and budgets in the millions.

Anyway, if you don't enjoy what RR is trying to do, you don't have to play it. But don't come in here and knock those who are enjoying it for what it is.

16. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    I personally am enjoying the game but it certainly doesn’t hurt to have negative opinions on this or any other game on this site. It helps people decide if it’s the kind of game they’d like or not.

If there were only positive impressions on games, what purpose would the forum even have?

Anyway, I like the straight hack n slash approach. There aren’t many games like this on iOS and am glad this came out!

17. DctrElectro

DctrElectro New Member

Nov 3, 2017
    #37 DctrElectro, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Hey guys! I am sad to hear that some of you don't like my game (and very happy that some of you do! :) )

My inspiration for Runic Rampage was Gauntlet (the old one) and Golden Axe. I created a straightforward brawler with combos, a basic upgrade system and a campaign. If you bought it expecting a Diablo-like game then I am sorry. :/

@Ghostdog1
    In the cave level you can see some smaller falling rocks indicating the position of where the big rocks will fall down. It is a trap (from above) but if you watch your way you can dodge it and the rocks even will work in advantage because these will instakill enemies. (btw. this works with all attacks - enemies will hurt themselves when pushing them in range attacks or any sort of AOE damage.

The game has procedural generated levels and is a beast to balance. Also I've got feedback that it is very hard and comments that its too easy. So it is difficult to decide to who I should listen to.

@ JohnnyClash
    The music is actually an original soundtrack (130 mins total) composed for the game. It is arranged via the dynamic music system FMOD and increases its intensity the more you proceed in the level. If you die often you are likely to hear the same intensity tracks (low-intensity on level start) of that level music again. This might lead to the impression that it loops. I personally think the OST is absolutely great! :)

@Jackaluk
    I'll put this on my list of requested features.

@jpgold
    You should'nt attack him until he summons skeletons. He is vulnerable in this state so hit him hard when he is summoning! :)

Cheers!
    Alex

18. Mrwubbs

Mrwubbs Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2012
    This is like a super fun lost ps2 game. Mindless enjoyment. I like it.

19. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Thanks for the information everyone (especially in regard to the soundtrack), it’s really hard not to appreciate the efforts of a solo project like this, that’s why I got it in the first place! But I do prefer to be honest in my impressions, while remaining civil and polite, of course. I appreciate honest feedback from my clients.

I’ll keep plugging along, if for no other reason, then to listen to more of the OST.

20. Ol Sloppy

Ol Sloppy New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Love this game - 5 stars from me.

Some "wishlist" features I'd love to see in the future:
    •Descriptions on what each attribute actually does and how it enhances your character.
    • Character stats (Health/AP/Crit chance, etc)
    • Survival/challenge mode
    • Multiplayer support
    • More levels
    • Better procedural generation for existing acts, it's well done as is, just always nice to see a little variety.
    • Armor actually serving a purpose rather than just being a cosmetic feature