Universal Runestone Keeper (By Cimu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Oct 31, 2015.

1. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Meh close enough

2. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I really enjoy this game but I'm not getting very far - any tips?

I'd also really like to know why, sometimes I can be on 40-50 health and I hit a creature that has 4 health and I die...

Jamie

3. o4zloiroman

o4zloiroman Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Their health has nothing to do with damage they can inflict on your character. Don't forget, that your attacks can miss on enemies. Check monsters' details to see what special abilities they got. Some of them are very dangerous. Runestone Keeper might look a simple RNG based game, but it's not true. Be cautious of every step you take.

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I just realized this became universal after picking up Dungelot 3. I was actually thinking of getting this because I love Dungelot and this looks like it has even deeper gameplay. However, I checked some reviews and many aren't very pleasant (even on Steam). Anyone have any comparisons with this and the new Dungelot? Maybe the new Dungelot makes this game not as desirable as it was before?

I really want to pick this up but I'd love some comparisons since I just got Dungelot 3 recently. Thanks for any opinions!

5. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I'd pass, Dungeonlot 3 is so much more fun for me. This has some fun class type mechanics but the shrines negate the differences pretty quick.

6. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    I just picked this up after Dungelot 3, I was searching for more 'dungelot' style after realising I really liked it & forgot how much fun the original was.

Dungelot 3 for me is like a quick blast through a dungeon with not too many repercussions if you die. Yeah there's lots of strategy but generally it plays pretty quickly.

Runestone Keeper requires MUCH more thought and attention to each and every move. It is also a much deeper experience. I wouldn't say harder, just requires more brain power. I'm finding it lots of fun and actually playing more than D3 atm.

So imo, D3 for quicker game sessions and RK for when you want something deeper, have more time and want more progression elements. Both are stellar games and have enough differences to fall into a category of their own. Hope that helps :)

7. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Thank you both for your opinions! But wow they really are almost opposite opinions. Maybe I'll just have to try it myself..

8. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    If you do pick it up, let us know what you think, I'd be interested to hear. It definitely has a darker tone and different graphic style. And really fleshed out gameplay (as others have said) more like Desktop Dungeons ie you won't get far by just tap, tap, tapping without thinking. It also has a few (non consumable) iap's that add to the gameplay as well.

9. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I thought that too, but then I realized that certain pay styles just dominate to much. Regardless of starting class.

10. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I gave it ago and it's actually very fun. The gameplay is deep and the many monster variations keeps things hectic. Lots of different items to pick up and in-dungeon stat boosting which Dungelot doesn't have.

However this game does seem to be ridiculously hard even on the starter setting. I did pretty well on my second run and made it through 75% of the dungeon (according to the line on the side) but the stages at the end are ridiculous that I can't figure out how I would get through them. Enemies hit for 10-20 damage and I hoarded all my health and got 120 or so by the end and I can't kill a single monster on the map because they have 80-100 health and will wipe me in a handful of hits. I guess you need to dual wield equips and ignore shields? Seems like you need to focus on high damage output rather than protecting yourself.

I'm really torn on my opinion. I think I enjoyed it a lot more than Dungelot but the longevity is skeptical because I don't even know if I want to play again because I didn't seem to have a chance toward the end. The perma upgrades in the shop don't really seem to boost much (a chance for +1/2/3 health from a health globe won't help me at the end of the game).

Also I love the graphics in the game but the icon makes the game seem a bit more "kiddish"? But I guess that's how the monsters look in the dungeon..

11. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    My thoughts are mirrored here. I want to love this mature version of the genre but something isn't clicking for me.

12. o4zloiroman

o4zloiroman Member

Jan 13, 2016
    As you'll play more, you will feel the actual tactical depth of the gameplay. Playing the game on the normal is tough at first, because you're still familiarizing yourself with the game, and don't know your actual strength. Even still, I always looked at rogue-likes / rogue-lites games as of games with its gameplay being the reason to play, not just beating the final chapter.

13. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    #73 L.Lawliet, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    It's on sale.

It's a good game but it's difficulty level is rage inducing, as the difficulty is not gradual but ramps up quickly in the last 20% of the game. I definitely feel like the regular difficulty should be toned down (or a lower difficulty added), considering there are 2 more higher difficulties that I'll probably never touch unless I unlock an OP character. Some characters have really terrible passives compared to others.

If they added a new difficulty or fixed the difficulty, I think the game would be way more successful. Dungelot excels by making you feel like you can do it the next time or you're almost there. This game feels like after one huge massive RPG experience (one go in a dungeon), you die miserably and there doesn't seem like much room for improvement. I noticed other people in the thread have mentioned they felt like they were "getting nowhere." I hope the later upgrade unlocks are better because the early ones do almost nothing if you can get past the first 50% of the levels. The game has better depth and more mechanics than Dungelot but has a lot more difficulty and less upgrades, so the game feels more like you're at the mercy of RNG.

14. FledgeFish

FledgeFish Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    How does the game compare to the new dungelot?

15. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Howdy! Did you take a look at the post just above yours? Does a pretty fair comparison to the two.

16. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    This is a great 'roguelike'! I picked it up today for $.99. I have not played Dungelot(s), or Desktop Dungeons, so my perspective is fresh with this game. It is deep enough to be engaging, and offers friendly and quick play mechanics to keep it fresh. Worth the buck, for sure.

17. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Does anyone know how to gain experience?
    No matter how many games I play, my character still shows 0/142.

18. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Maybe it resets every time you die? Have you checked it during gameplay?

19. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I'll pay closer attention but it says that I level up every now and then.
    I was thinking that maybe you have to reach a certain level and "win" the dungeon in order to gain permanent experience?
    I might just message the dev support and ask.

20. o4zloiroman

o4zloiroman Member

Jan 13, 2016
    #80 o4zloiroman, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    You're leveling up your hero during your wanders around the dungeon. On your death you're getting back from where you began, from lvl 1. The only things that travel with you are gold and runestones.

If you'll have any more question, just message us over at twitter or facebook.