RSS Readers

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Chiller ONE, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I have been using Newsstand for a while now and while the interface is great (especially the landscape view) it is buggy as hell and doesnt sync with google so i was thinking about getting a new reader for my iphone.
    The readers who caught my eye are Manifesto and Gazette.
    I was wondering what Rss Readers you guys would recommend?

2. abbad0n

abbad0n Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I've used both Doppler and Byline, with both working very well with google (will also tell google which you've read next time you sync). However, Byline is the only one of the two that follows the folder structure you've setup in google, while Doppler just lists your feeds.

From what I've read of the Manifesto, it just imports googles feeds. Gazette looks like it is similar to Byline.

Except for Manifesto (import only), it looks like the only differences are mostly interfacial. See which of the ones you like the best and pick you're poison.

Good luck.

Edit: Looks like Newstand is the only one that supports Delicious. If you need that, and can't do it any other way, you might be stuck.

3. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Does Byline let you add feeds straight on the iPhone in the app, so you don't have to go on Google Reader to get feeds on the app? (is it only syncing?)

Thanks, because this app looks great but I need to know the answer to that question before I buy it.

4. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I just use the Google Reader web app

But I would be interested in an app that had 2 way syncing with Google Reader

5. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    To be honest the interfaces of all the other readers don't look like much compared to Newsstand. I wish they would just fix the bugs so I could continue to use Newsstand.

6. break5

break5 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    i think Byline does this

7. abbad0n

abbad0n Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    @break5: I did a quick search of the rss feed in the app store, and it looks like none of the readers that do true sync (bi-directional) with google allow adding new feeds (if I missed any, please let the rest of the thread know). However the ones that import google feed lists do, but then they are supposed to be standalone so they need such a capability.

My feeds don't change that much, so I have no problem using msafari to add a new one if I have to, but it would be a nice additional feature. There is nothing stopping you from contacting the developers directly and asking for that feature. However it could be that the API for google news doesn't allow for such. That might be one reason why it doesn't get implemented. Developers only knows. :)

8. BlueGenome

BlueGenome Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    What bugs are you referring 2 ? I have Newsstand and it works flawlessly for me.

9. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Lucky you. I have several problems with Newsstand. The two worst are that some feeds don't work (they'll never update. ever.) and that most of the time when I add new feeds and/or folders they won't save. I enter them and quit the app and the next time i open it they're gone.

Really really annoying. I can't believe they haven't fixed this yet.

10. morscata12

morscata12 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    I use Byline, and am very happy with it for what it does. As some other posters have noted, Byline doesn't allow you to manage your feed list. However, when syncing, Byline will mark posts as read and new posts as unread (two-way syncing). It's pretty much just an offline viewer for Google Reader - if you don't have a Google Reader account, you can't use this app.

Still...it's fast, doesn't bog anything down, and works great.

11. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I purchased Gazette now and so far I'm happy with it. While its interface isn't as nice as Newsstand its faster. The only thing i miss is a "read all button" for folders.

12. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I see a long list of them from appshopper.com, is Newsstand still the best (but pricey), or should I look at some others like Byline, RSS Probe or Web Feeds, etc?

13. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I've been on the fence with Byline... I'm just not sure yet. The only reason I'm interested is two-way syncing with Google Reader

Anyone used it?

14. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Byline is the best, because it lets you download articles, pics and websites for offline view. If you don't need offline mode you don't need a rss reader. Just use the mobile site google offers.