RSS feed no longer updating

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by nlesgold, Apr 13, 2023.

1. nlesgold

nlesgold Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 22, 2011
    RN
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I usually keep up with this site via http://www.toucharcade.com/feed/ and it hasn't been updating for the last 10 days. The RSS symbol at the bottom of the site points to https://toucharcade.com/community/forums/-/index.rss which seems like it's just updating from new forum threads, rather than posts on the site. Is there a better way to track new news and reviews, or is the main site RSS feed not updating a technical error?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I think it’s a technical issue. We’ll see what the admin has to say.

3. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Hi, I use https://toucharcade.com/feed subscribed in the Reeder app and it is updating fine for me. Which RSS service do you use? It might be an issue with them? Or have you tried unsubscribing and resubscribing?

4. AndyMcM

AndyMcM New Member

Sep 8, 2021
    I have the same issue, I use inoreader, tried to access the link and stopped working, tried to create manually and doesn't work. :(

Sounds like a technical issue though rather than a policy change.

5. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks for this info, I'll bring this up with our web dev and see if they can figure out what might be the issue.

6. yarovoy

yarovoy New Member

Jan 14, 2013
    I experiencing the same thing as well. Feed is marked as Unreachable with last articles being 15 days old. I use Feedly, which is online feed aggregator, so I cannot trigger retry.

I might be wrong, but I tried it locally, and it seems like a cache issue to me: first try server's respond is very slow. Next tries immediately after that it's responding reasonably fast. I expect that some rss tools have timeout and treat feed as unreachable if it doesn't respond fast enough.

7. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Just to add to this, same issue here! Tried using the feed link (which I was already actually subscribed to, also!)

so strange, not sure what’s going on. Hopefully this is an easy fix!

8. AndyMcM

AndyMcM New Member

Sep 8, 2021
    Still an issue here, any luck with the Dev's and getting it fixed? I am missing my TouchArcade articles.

9. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Ok! We have adjusted a setting which should HOPEFULLY fix the RSS issue. Not sure if anyone having problems could try, like, refreshing their feed reader or something to see if things show up, or at least keep an eye out on if new articles are showing up or not. If things seem to be working again, please let me know. And also if things still seem broken, let me know that too. Thanks!

AndyMcM likes this.
  10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Whatever you guys did seems to have fixed the issue for me.

11. AndyMcM

AndyMcM New Member

Sep 8, 2021
    Thanks lots for fixing really appreciate, now got 100 odd articles to have a read through, that's me sorted for tonight!!!

12. nlesgold

nlesgold Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 22, 2011
    RN
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes, it's been working again for me since you fixed this. Thank you very much! I know that RSS has been put a bit to the wayside by social media trends, the last handful of years, but I use it to read almost everything that TA publishes, and keeping track without it is a real pain.

13. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Glad to hear it's working again! And yeah, I too find RSS invaluable, and it's sad to see how it has slipped down the line of importance in recent years.