Universal RPG Revenant Saga (Kemco-EXE-Create)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by syntheticvoid, Dec 18, 2014.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Ah screw it. Bought!

Can't resist that app icon. Probably the closest thing Kemco had done to make an actual logo instead of using character portraits for their icons. The description of the game has me intrigued as well.

2. Bone16

Bone16 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Shaun, How dare u take time away from reviewing#. Do u realize how many people ur gonna leave hanging here??? Just kidding buddy#. Have a great holiday#! You deserve a break too. Look forward to hearing about this one. Just got AG and Fanatic Earth so that will keep me busy til u get back#.

3. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    First hour is fairly fun. The story is interesting and makes me want to know more but not super unique. There's already some quirky humor with a demon friend you'll be having. The menu also looks absolutely gorgeous. Also I do appreciate that they're not using chibi character icons in this game. They added some simple weather effects to the world map and some cool new zoom icons on the screen. The interface with each game they make gets better and better. And I have to make a compliment that the character art for this title is probably the best artist they've ever had. They should just keep hiring whoever is drawing these characters.

It does have some rough sides. So far the graphics look stunning HOWEVER it has the same problem as Alphadia with lack of animations. The character makes a few jerky movements and then that's your attack. Also the attack sound seems to be delayed for the main character's main attack. Battle attack transitions look really rough and though I do love the close up of the character when you select them, the jerky attacks make the entire thing seem like they cut corners. A few more battle frames would go a long way but I guess even AG didn't have that.

So far it's a pretty decent EXE game, but it's no where near as good as Asdivine atm. I'd say it's worth it still.

4. defunct32

defunct32 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Nice! Just the quick impression I need.

5. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Uff, jerky animations in 3d are way worse than basic animations in 2d.. Why did they do this? Thanks L., will pass for now. And shaun, enjoy your holidays man!

6. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I have been playing his about four hours now. The animations I have no problem with. I appreciate in the options screen you can adjust battle speed and animations, even skipping the result screen for weak enemies.

The story twists are fairly predictable so far but they are sensible...so it's rewarding to see the characters finally come clean or to see if my prediction pans out.

The battle mechanics with the transformations are interesting, although I haven't had to use Them terribly much. I imagine as they learn more transformation only skills that will change the dynamic.

7. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Funny thing. Bruno fights with a knife but all he holding in combat is a book. #

8. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    One good thing about this game is that you actually hit the enemy. They don't swing their weapons in the air and magically damage the enemies lol.

9. Domedemo

Domedemo Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Is it worth 3.99$

10. savvy

savvy Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    I'm really liking this game. About 10 hours in and I'd like to think of it as the spiritual successor to Alphadia Genesis and La Phalcia. I've played a bunch of kemco games (max'd out Asdivine/Crystereino/Kreisia, the two previously mentioned ones and a bunch of older reiterations) and this is definitely in the top 3 right now.

To get the bad out of the way, dialogue is cheesy, but thats to be expected with these games. That really is the only problem i have with kemco titles. They need an articulate 're-writer' to spice up the average translations to keep the players hooked and wanting to know more about the characters and story. Its the one thing keeping all kemco games from being decent/good to extraordinary.

They're actually mixing it up when introducing the story and new characters though, which is refreshing. - I admit the intro could have been done better, with cutscenes at least, but again with dialogue in its current state its something you'd get over after the first hour. The way the party forms, the way new villains a rise, it makes you want to keep on playing to find out everyone's secret (spoilers?)

The game itself looks great. Character art is well done, towns/npcs/overworld looks cleaner than it has ever been. Menus are simple, with a lot of options to fit your gameplay. Enemy encounter rate is actually fair in this game, and "one point of the transaction shop currency for every 5 battles" is back! And holy crap when you sell items there's a check box per item so you can choose which to sell at once instead of one a time - this is actually one of the biggest pro's for me in this game because...

Equipments have grades now (normal > rare > epic > legendary) and drop quite frequently, which will really extend the endgame trying to maximize equipment sets. Kemco/exe have been really stepping it up with end game super bosses lately so looking forward to that, along with the weapon customization system

The transformation system is pretty rewarding, adds a bit more strategy in battles (ie. hard mode), and even changes the char models! - really hoping theres an advanced transformation that adds on to the skin changes. Also a really big fan of games that surpass the max hp/mp of 9999/999 and damage over 10k

Basically if you're a fan of kemco, and want their end products to get better then support them by buying their games. They seem to be heading in the right direction as their games have only been getting better, especially over the last year

3.99 is a steal for this game

11. savvy

savvy Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    I'm really liking this game. About 10 hours in and I'd like to think of it as the spiritual successor to Alphadia Genesis and La Phalcia. I've played a bunch of kemco games (max'd out Asdivine/Crystereino/Kreisia, the two previously mentioned ones and a bunch of older reiterations) and this is definitely in the top 3 right now.

To get the bad out of the way, dialogue is cheesy, but thats to be expected with these games. That really is the only problem i have with kemco titles. They need an articulate 're-writer' to spice up the average translations to keep the players hooked and wanting to know more about the characters and story. Its the one thing keeping all kemco games from being decent/good to extraordinary.

They're actually mixing it up when introducing the story and new characters though, which is refreshing. - I admit the intro could have been done better, with cutscenes at least, but again with dialogue in its current state its something you'd get over after the first hour. The way the party forms, the way new villains a rise, it makes you want to keep on playing to find out everyone's secret (spoilers?)

The game itself looks great. Character art is well done, towns/npcs/overworld looks cleaner than it has ever been. Menus are simple, with a lot of options to fit your gameplay. Enemy encounter rate is actually fair in this game, and "one point of the transaction shop currency for every 5 battles" is back! And holy crap when you sell items there's a check box per item so you can choose which to sell at once instead of one a time - this is actually one of the biggest pro's for me in this game because...

Equipments have grades now (normal > rare > epic > legendary) and drop quite frequently, which will really extend the endgame trying to maximize equipment sets. Kemco/exe have been really stepping it up with end game super bosses lately so looking forward to that, along with the weapon customization system

The transformation system is pretty rewarding, adds a bit more strategy in battles (ie. hard mode), and even changes the char models! - really hoping theres an advanced transformation that adds on to the skin changes. Also a really big fan of games that surpass the max hp/mp of 9999/999 and damage over 10k

Basically if you're a fan of kemco, and want their end products to get better then support them by buying their games. They seem to be heading in the right direction as their games have only been getting better, especially over the last year

3.99 is a steal for this game

12. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Review is coming very soon, but yes.

13. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Shaun have you seen RPG Shining Mars? It's only the trailer but what do you think? Could be Kemcos best RPG yet?

14. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    It's World Wide Software, so I'm not optimistic. It's also got so-so reviews in the JP App Store.

15. Cherway

Cherway Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Reminds me Phantasy Star series, but looks better. Thanks, wrote it in my game list.

16. Serenityinaz12

Serenityinaz12 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Have put 40 hours into this one now and still not done all the extra stuff but am close. Really enjoyed this game a lot. Got my party to level 340 right now, trying to get gold on a few more challenges yet. I may have to level up even more. Has anyone figured out how to get gold on damage taken? You have to receive 100000 from a single hit and I don't see how it's possible

17. Serenityinaz12

Serenityinaz12 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2015
    So I'm going to make a general comment on the ending. No spoilers, just an opinion on the quality of it. If you don't even want to see that, don't read this

The ending of this game seriously may be the absolute worst ending I have ever seen for an rpg, EVER. Talk about short and unbelievably lame. Wow, I seriously expected a lot more than that.

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Now only $0.99. Shaun said that's his faviourite EXE-Create so far and I have to agree.

19. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Hmm.. best EXE create? I dunno about that.. I'd put Asdivine Hearts as their best by far with Asdivine Dios possibly taking 2nd place (will have to play it more). This gets bumped down to third for me. I guess the gameplay / interface felt a bit clunky to me - and Dios has pretty much the same game system except polished. However I think artwise, this is the best hands down. I don't really like the artist they've been using for Asdivine series :\

Anyhow that's my personal opinion, especially since I've heard more praises on the other games and more complaints on this one. But third place is still good so at 99 cents, that's a no brainer. Highly recommended!

20. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I just bumped the KEMCO sale thread with a list of titles that are currently at a buck. L'Phalcia for one is another must-have IMO, and one of the few that has MFi support.