iPad Rpg maker 99-2k3 ect.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RaciallyRetarded, Feb 21, 2009.

1. RaciallyRetarded

Dec 16, 2008
    #1 RaciallyRetarded, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009

2. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    That would probably be to hard for the iDevice to port. At best, I could see playing custom side-scrolling games, but not rpgs.

3. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    if we had a decent rpg then there would be no need for this

4. I'm sure it's possible. It would probably take quite a bit of work though. I never used RPG Maker, but all of those construction set type games used a custom scripting language to create the games. An iPhone version would need:

- The usual game stuff: Graphics and sound routines, game logic, etc.
    - A script interpreter
    - A central remote server
    - A network component that could connect to the central remote server to display and allow the downloading of user-created content.

Basically, whoever wrote something like this would be creating an entire RPG game without the game part, because that would be filled with user-created content. The real headache would be the server, because whoever wrote it would need to have a robust host capable of handling thousands of concurrent connections and large quantities of data across a relatively high bandwidth pipe. That won't come cheap, and if the game is to finance such a thing, the author would have to hope he sells a lot of copies just to pay for the server, because Apple don't allow subscription services. Alternatively the author would have to create his own subscription service to be handled outside the game. It wouldn't need to be pricey for players, but it would need to provide a steady enough stream of revenue to pay for the server on an indefinite basis.

In short, for a project as niche and with as uncertain a future as this, it would be a big endeavour and a big risk to take.

5. RaciallyRetarded

Dec 16, 2008
    #5 RaciallyRetarded, Feb 21, 2009

6. RaciallyRetarded

Dec 16, 2008
    #6 RaciallyRetarded, Feb 21, 2009