iPad RPG Fatal Fourway!!!! (help me decide a good RPG)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BassGS5, Feb 16, 2009.

?

Best RPG!!!!

Poll closed Feb 19, 2009.
  1. Chronicles of Inotia: Legend of Feanor

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Dungeon and Hero

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  3. Vay

11 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Aravale

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. BassGS5

BassGS5 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    I need some help here, I'm kinda on a shopping spree this week, so you might have ssen me in other threads asking for recommendations. I'm in need of an RPG, and I have lowered it down to four, so vote which of these four is the better RPG. And if it isn't to much trouble, please state your reasons for your votes. Thanks in advance.:D

2. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    #2 different, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
    What four are we voting for?

edit: Never mind, then. :)

3. BassGS5

Feb 11, 2009
    The poll is up now.

4. Dfender2022

Dfender2022 Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Being a kid
    California
    I'm voting for Vay, people say its fun

5. nate@pdxine.com

Dec 24, 2008
    I would say Vay or aravale. Inotia and D/H just aren't very fun.

6. toiletbob

toiletbob Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Tossup. Arvale or Vay. I voted for Arvale.

7. BadYeti

BadYeti Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I suppose I'll vote for Vay, simply because I've found myself playing it more than the other three options listed.

That said, I don't think it's a very good game. Vay's combat is mind-numbingly simple. I can enjoy a turn-based game if the gameplay offers mental/tactical challenge in lieu of twitch challenge. But Vay does not. And, unfortunately, there is a crazy amount of this mind-numbingly dull combat. Random encounters pop up every few steps.

Additionally, there isn't any decision-making required as you build up your team. The party members are decided for you and there aren't any player-controlled feat selections or stat allocations as you level up. The only thing you control as a player is which equipment you choose to use.

But at least Vay offers a storyline, and it's cute in a retro way.

I didn't much care for Inotia or Dungeon and Hero, as I felt they didn't offer enough story "crumbs" to keep me following along on the trail.

Arvale is almost a parody. It uses a lot of humor and RPG-themed jokes. I might come back to it some day, as I haven't gotten very far. I just had a hard time getting too much into an RPG of this nature without a party to control or a more elaborate weapon system. Again, I prefer for turn-based combat systems to offer more tactical depth and decision-making, since that's all that the player does.

Personally, I'd get "Puzzle Quest" today, then buy Redshift's "The Quest" in a week or so. I've played a lot of those two games on other platforms, and they're both waaaaay better RPGs than the four options you listed in your poll, in my opinion.

8. BassGS5

Feb 11, 2009
    Hmm, kinda difficult to decide still, I think vay would be a good choice, but I also want a game with depth, and will keep my attention for a long while. Well thanks for all your input so far, and I am looking forward to future input.

9. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Vay, hands down.

Have loved it since the '90s on Sega CD.

It's the only game I planned to buy even before I had an iDevice.

10. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Add Puzzle Quest please or I'm not voting.
    It's the most full featured RPG out there!

11. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Vay seems to most closely match your requirements...

We need something a little better though.. what was the name of that old RPG game.. i think it may have been made by someone like Blizzard... The name is like Dirk Diggler (i know that's not it) or something? It's medieval themed... oh well

You'd think these guys would be easy to port.. what if we had Diablo?

12. BassGS5

Feb 11, 2009
    Sorry, I already have it for my psp. Otherwise I would already have it.

13. BassGS5

Feb 11, 2009
    K I am gonna buy the top two so if anyone would like to break the tie between aravale and dungeon and hero.

14. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Go with Arvale.

15. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Well, it depends on what you're looking for. I'm kind of busy right now so I'll keep this short and sweet. :p

Vay - A decent game, but the controls are hard to get used to, and never really kept my attention for long

Inotia - This RPG is expensive, but still pretty awesome. It's a blast for a while, but later it gets fairly repetitive and very challenging.

Dungeon & Hero - I haven't made it far into this game yet (just haven't had much time) but it is without a doubt the most full featured RPG available. My favorite part of this game is that you can choose from a warrior, archer, wizard (I think that's what they're called). I've always loved archers, so that's the whole reason I bought the game. :p

Arvale - Only complaints: The interface is clunky and the gameplay screen is small. This one has a very different combat system compared to the rest of the iPhone RPGs, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Personally, I don't LOVE it, but it's all right. Now for the best parts about this game: The storyline is fantastic. This is sure to keep your attention throughout the whole game. The controls are easy to use and the sound, music and graphics are great.

I voted for Arvale, but I liked all of the RPGs except for Vay. I just wasn't too happy with it for some reason. If you had to pick one, get Arvale. It's cheap, a great deal and I'm sure you'll love it.

Hope that helps

16. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    If you really need one now, the only one I can vote for in that list is Arvale (and that's only second hand, because I've just played the Pocket PC version). However, The Quest is coming soon (hopefully the next week or two), and that would definitely be my choice.