Universal RPG Djinn Caster (by Kotobuki Solution Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by L.Lawliet, Feb 20, 2017.

1. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    Guys I have a few questions.

1) Is it worth going back and S ranking each area? I got a B rank on some of them :/
    2) is there crafting in this game? Should i be saving the drops I get from enemies. Descriptions imply they are only meant for selling.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    No crafting, though some quests ask for big quantities of some of those items. You can either save them is you have the space, or go get them when you get the quest.

The only reason to go back and get a better score on a stage is to get a better reward.

@Montanx: I'm 7 hours in and still having a blast. The towns on this game are amazing. Just beat the eating contest (!).

3. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RPG Djinn Caster

[​IMG]

Has been nominated for the TouchArcade Forums'
    Game of the Week

VOTE HERE!

4. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Active Member

Feb 4, 2017
    I'm kinda on the fence about this game. Can someone please address my concerns?
    \
    Someone mentioned that it's a grinder, which makes me wonder if most of my time will be spent grinding.

the stor page claims that it's got this incredible story, but the picture shows some pretty generic rpg dialogue, and dialogue is a lot more important to me than the story itself.

And yeah, they claim that you don't need to pay for any microtransactions to beat the game, but most games claim this. What exactly can you buy with rl cash?

5. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    1) It's not really grindy, at least for me so far. There's a lot of fetch side quests that totally optional that can get grindy if you want to do them (get X # of Y item) - not worth it and not necessary, imo.
    2) It's not going to blow you away but the setting makes it a bit unique. Focus for me is on the gameplay anyway.
    3) All of Kemco's RPGs are like this. The IAP is for items that are not at all necessary and in some cases may break the game. For example one premium ring increases your health by 300 and gives you health regen. The only useful thing I found in the IAP shop is expanded inventory bags, and the IAP the game gives you at the beginning gives you enough for 2 out of 3 of those bags.

6. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    Thanks! The fetch quests are annoying. At least you can abandon them if you get tired.

In your opinion, is it worth it to buy weapons and armor from vendors? Also, what Djinn did you find the most useful?

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #107 squarezero, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Yes, you should buy gear from the vendors. Weapon and armor drops are rare. Food, potion, and ring/amulet drops are more common, though, so you shouldn't have to buy those often.

As to the djinn, I tend to favor Ziv and Vabette, though I've also been using Ayn. Vabette is a great way to start a boss fight, since you can do massive damage with a sequence of crits. Then you can follow with Ziv or Ayn to clear the deck.

Now, Azalea is key as well, though, because she gives you passive poison resistance -- that's a big advantage. I just got Fuj, so I haven't had a chance to use him.

I'm finding the fetch quests kind of a nice break between missions. You can get a ton of experience from them, though, so it's worth doing at least some of them.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    This game is not at a ChronoTrigger/FF9 level in terms of story, but it's definitely a cut above many JRPGs. The characters are reasonably developed, the world feels rich and lived-in, and the plot is engaging. Ziv is a fun creation -- I like how cynical he is about human beings. Overall, the writing is pretty sharp.

What really makes the game special for me, though, are the details. Everything from the idle animations to the way the towns are laid out feels very thought-out.

9. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    Another question- is there any point to giving the beggars coin? Anything that you get for donating enough?

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Not so far. But I'm not sure if I've given money to every beggar.

11. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    After beating the game I had a configuration favoring crit hits. I found the skills lacking besides the passives and shadow summon one. Didn't use the rest at all. Vabette is the most important djinn, with the passive that bumps crit on kill and Vabette, I was hitting for 1200+ a swing. That was due to a necklace I got that doubles attack and defense but severely limits HP to something low like 800 or so. I pumped dex to around 35% crit but then stopped since after passive buffs it was over 100% after a kill.

The vendor equips were the best I found, save for those and potions.

12. MorteTorment

Feb 4, 2017
    1. Sounds like something that gets bogged down in sidequests. I can forgive that if the game is absolutely spectacular, but not in something that I'm on the fence about, especially when I'm

2. Gameplay isn't enough for me, I need dialogue to the be the reward for progressing through the game. It's different (once in a while) if it's a free game, but yeah.

3. Doesn't seem too bad.

Still don't know.

13. MorteTorment

Feb 4, 2017
    If you could give me some examples of some good lines from this game, that'd make me a lot less on the fence.

14. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    Good to know! How are you building your Djinn? I'm thinking passives is the most important for most - is there a cap on level for each skill?

15. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    IMG_7446.jpg

:33

16. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
  17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #117 squarezero, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Overall, it's not so much about the lines, and more about the way the characters react to each other. Without getting into spoilers, they make choices that humans would make, and they are affected by your character's actions. When the hero behaves like a jerk, people notice; at the same time, heroic actions can have repercussions. Your hometown changes during the game (again, I'm trying to avoid spoilers), and the NPCs change their dialogue to acknowledge it. And each town is distinct -- for a good reason.

As to Ziv, here's his card from the log to give you an idea of his personality:
    IMG_0614.PNG

18. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Man I dont know if I have ever seen SZ into a game this much! Pretty awesome.

19. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Glad to see this getting some love. Currently just one vote out of first place in the Game of the Week poll!

20. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    Yeah I have to admit there is a surprising amount of depth here. Did not expect. Is there a list somewhere of what materials are needed for quests? It seems like half the materials there aren't quests for but then again maybe I missed some? I've just been selling when i have over 99.