Universal RPG Djinn Caster (by Kotobuki Solution Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by L.Lawliet, Feb 20, 2017.

1. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    How do you guys recommending building your character in terms of stats and skills?

2. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    I want this game but the IAP currency still gives me cold feet plus there is still no good, extended look at gameplay that I can find (the trailer is a flurry of numbers for battles that gives no real sense of their pacing, feel, mechanics, balance, versatility, etc.). Can anyone explain to me why its IAP is not important—if in fact it is not?

3. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    And other than what stats are worth upgrading and what skills are worth picking up, are there any other tips for someone starting this game?

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If you have played ANY of the premium Kemco titles then you know the IAP is not needed at all. They have tons of games on the appstore, each one has IAP options that are there as a way for the team to make money, and not as the only way to finish the game.

5. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    This was by a different dev (Kemco just published, on this one), plus I haven't played any Kemco RPGs, so… Your response is appreciated and somewhat encouraging, but still too vague for me to dive in…though I might just cave if its normal price is to be $8…

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Kemco is a publisher -- they don't develop any of their game. This is the first Chocoarts game they've published (as far as I know), but the developer has worked with other publishers in the past (including Crescent Moon, of Ravensword fame). Kemco is known for publishing many (as in dozens) traditional JRPGs, which range from decent-but-unoriginal to quite good -- some have even made it to Steam and 3DS. Most of them have some form of IAP, but always as way to make the game easier, not better. In this game, the premium price gives you enough rubies to give you a pretty serious leg up if you want it. Most important, though, the gameplay doesn't have an IAP-based loop: no gatcha mechanics, no timers or energy systems, no impossible bosses that force you to use premium revives (I'm about three hours in -- couldn't play yesterday -- but others in this thread are farther along and haven't reported any), no cool abilities gated behind a paywall. It plays and feels like a premium game.

Here's the 7/10 PocketGamer review, BTW. I think the score represents a bit of Kemco fatigue, since the actual review is essentially all positive.

7. maxbrickem

maxbrickem Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    #67 maxbrickem, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Level 24, been putting stats in at a 3:3:1:1 ratio and i haven't had a problem yet, in fact, the game has been fairly easy so far without any special IAP purchases. The game just throws potions and all sorts of items at you so there is never a need to buy any. As far as gameplay I would compare this to classic arpg mechanics such as alundra, zenonia, etc. Movement is very responsive. The combat is fairly simple but very fun regardless. Your normal strike has a pretty wide range and is almost an aoe attack in itself so it is pretty easy to wipe out large crowds. You are able to dodge ranged attacks. The djinn skill system is excellent imo and pretty unique. This game is easily easily worth the asking price and like everyone else has said the IAP is not needed at all, but the amount of premium currency they give you still allows you to buy some real goodies.

The IAP store includes, elixirs, restat and reskill potions, many special rings that have OP effects which are not needed, and extra bags for inventory slots. I bought a bag and a ring so far and still have some to spare.

Side note, i have found premium currency from random encounters on the world map - 2 to be specific :D

If you're on the edge I say pick it up.

8. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    #68 Derprozess, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Lvl 29, bosses got too strong, I've paid 7 gems few times to revive my hero and to finish the last battles (which are 30+ minutes, without the possibility to save [!?!] ), I've remained without gems, the iAP's aren't something I do pay for since I've already paid a premium (discounted) price for it. It felt like a demo to me, like "you can play few good hours and you will have a lot of fun, but if you want to continue playing, you have to pay more". Thank you, but no. I'm not valuing my time in how much fun I have for 5 euro in minutes of hours, that's not how things are working for me. Years ago I've played weeks CoC until I've finally purchased some gems, I can't say it was "time well spent" but rather a very stupid way to lose time, with no satisfaction at all. Off course this game is something different, but as I said, everything that force me to spend extra money to speed up things (the alternative being to play repetitive side-quest missions to level up) is a no-no for me.

I'm not saying someone more skillful (I'm without a doubt terrible, but I love this kind of games nevertheless) will have any problems playing it. Also a refund is out of the question, I knew it has iAP's and yet I've purchased it, which is my fault; plus everything good about this game that has been said here is absolutely true.

I guess is just not for me. I've never been one of those "veterans" :)

9. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    That PG review should have been at least an 8/10 (would be 9/10 for me). Not really any negatives and this is much different than other Kemco published games.

I think people unfairly look down at Kemco when there have been some true gems amongst their almost monthly releases (Fantasy Chronicle, the Alphadia and Asdivine series in particular).

But honestly, I wouldn't have even thought this was published by Kemco because it's so different from their others with the addition of Chocoarts to their roster.

Anyway, irregardless, this is one of the best action RPGs I've played on iOS in a long time.

10. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    How heavy is it with the theme? I dig the theme and hope it isn't just window dressing.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Agreed. As to Derprozess comment, grinding, backtracking, and losing progress when you die are par for the course in this genre. Here you have the option of paying real cash to avoid that...

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Djinns are central to the story and the gameplay, and the Arabian Nights theme is laid pretty thick in the visuals and characters. But there are no mentions of Allah or Islam, no real Middle-East locations or historical events, etc. It plays very much like a fantasy, thought one that doesn't follow the typical Western European iconography.

13. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Chocoarts is an Indonesian dev team, so the Arab influence most likely comes from the fact that Indonesia is more or less influenced strongly by Islam (and not Christianity, unlike the Americas and Europe where a majority of games are developed). But the influence does appear to be the same you have in a game like Diablo where churches and demons and angels are central to the plot even if the game's practiced religion is more Zoroastrian than Christian.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Well put -- fully agree.

15. michael.heuberger

michael.heuberger New Member

Mar 30, 2016
    How/where can I find Kareem for a quest early in the game?

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    He's at the bazaar -- in the upper right corner of the town map.

17. spizak

spizak Active Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Does it support mfi?

18. Arata

Arata Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Words of advice : If you find the main quest to be difficult, try to finish side quest first. There's plenty of it and it might give you precious items or even better.

19. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks fellas. Glad to hear the theme is deep into it.

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA