Universal RPG Djinn Caster (by Kotobuki Solution Co., Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by L.Lawliet, Feb 20, 2017.

1. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    This is a really good game. It was published by Kemco but developed by an Indonesian outfit called Chocoarts (http://chocoarts.com/). They've got a pretty snazzy dev blog over on Tumblr you should check out for some nice concept art.

(http://chocoartsgames.tumblr.com/)

I hope Kemco makes a habit of hiring smaller indie teams like this for projects. Really looking forward to Kemco/Choco's next collaboration. A great fit, IMO.

2. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    this game is pretty good. the graphics are really nice it's a really pretty and detailed world, though i'm not a fan of the theme. this games artstyle reminds me of trulon from dice works but not 3d. the gameplay is like the good old classic krpg zenonia where you grind, button mash and kill baddies to level up gain new equipment and skills. i really miss these types of games. this game is premium but has IAP for another type of currency to purchase premium stuff. at the start of the game it thanks you for buying the premium versions and awards you some premium currency so i'm assuming a free version will come out. if you miss the good old zenonia/inotia days get this game

3. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    I couldn't agree more!:)

4. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    I'm about two hours in, couple of notes:

1) it's a tough game, rewards skill in knowing enemies

2) much better experience on an iPhone versus an iPad, I don't have a mifi so I can't comment on that

3) very grindy, some sidequests require you play through a stage and defeat a tough boss a number of times before you have requisite items to complete quest. I don't mind it because the combat is so much fun

4) oh yeah, and bosses are tough and they take chunks out of your hp, so stock up on potions and don't be afraid to use them

5) each stage is graded - and depending on your grade at completion you'll get a random item from a selected pool of items (some quite good and expensive) so take the time to do stages right (don't waste time and don't get hurt) and you can accumulate some really nice items free

5. tommiyu

tommiyu Member

Aug 3, 2014

So the game is stage based? I got the impression from previous posts that it was like Zenonia with connected maps.

6. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    The individual stages have connected maps but there is an overworld you move around on. It has random encounters like FFTactics where sometimes you will encounter enemy patrols and are taken to a "hidden stage" where you have a chance to fight enemies and earn loot, but there isn't an overworld like other Kemco games where your party moves around from town to town.

Not like you are missing much. Kemco games don't have a habit of having overly layered overworlds- they are typically just excuses to encounter enemies between towns.

7. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Picked it up and about to play it for the first time
    It's funny this game dropped the same day I had been doing some research on Djinn aka Jinn aka genies
    Very fascinating stuff so I'm into the theme of the game for sure

8. tommiyu

tommiyu Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Alright thanks for the clarification. On the side note I'm a bit worried about the freemiun part of it since no one has actually touched that. What can you buy with the paid currency? I'm afraid the game has walls where without shelling some money you will be stuck for a long time

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I should have clarified -- the game opens with a tutorial/prologue that doesn't have stages. Once you get to the main game, you alternate between town exploration and unique "dungeons" which work as stages -- think Final Fantasy dungeons -- multiple paths, limited exploration, treasure chests, etc. -- but smaller. They sometimes have a boss at the end, sometimes not.

There is an overworld, but it's abstracted: something between a map and a collection of stages. You travel from node while being chased by the Sultan's soldiers -- if they catch up with you, you face them in a "hidden" area. At the same time, there are specific encounters in town that you clear like stages, but keep you in the same location.

Ultimately, the game feels more like a narrative that develops and less like a sequence of repetive stages.

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    As with all Kemco-published games, the premium currency is there as a shortcut. As I mentioned earlier, I spent 5 of the 150 gems you get at the start to get some extra gold. I'm 3 hours in and have not felt the need to spend any more rubies. You do have the option of breaking the in-game economy by getting a boat-load of gold at the premium store, but I wouldn't recommend it.

11. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    The best thing to buy with the premium currency is bags. They are 60 a pop so if you buy the premium version you can get two bags for that cost. There I a fair bit of inventory management in the game although it's nowhere as near insane as most ARPGs.

Weird though, I seem to have found a bug. Anyone here been able to get past the nomad's camp? I beat it and then got stuck on a loading screen. I didn't bother saving when I got into the camp so I'll need to clear the whole Cursed Canyon again.

So yeah. Save! (Oy...)

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I had no problems with it on my iPhone 7 (latest iOS).

13. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    @Fabell

Thanks for the tip on the bags!

14. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    I got an exp ring with the gifted rubies. Do you earn more in game or is that all you get?

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    There's one funny bit in town early on that gets you a few rubies, but I don't remember getting any more after that.

16. Erpiotta5

Erpiotta5 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Can someone share a gameplay video?

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    There's a trailer on the first page. But I haven't found any longer gameplay vids.

18. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    _____________ There wuz a recent 1 similar to this as giving this the #

⚔️#BATTLE#⚔️

19. maxbrickem

maxbrickem Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    wow this story is getting pretty interesting! have 5 Djinns now - anyways I was wondering if anyone knows if anything is tied to giving money to the homeless people in town - other than being nice - thanks!

20. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I can't believe this is a kemco title!!! Aboit an hour in and super good.