RPG Comparison Questions

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cookthroughtheages, Aug 9, 2012.

?

Games to Buy? Choose all that are worthy.

1. Eternal Legacy

23.5%
  2. Underworlds

8.8%
  3. Zenonia Series

32.4%
  4. Inotia Series

23.5%
  5. Spectral Souls

14.7%
  6. Seed Series

5.9%
  7. Exitium: Swords of Vardonia

11.8%
  8. Avadon and Avernum

50.0%
  9. Ravensword

44.1%
  10. Fara

5.9%
  1. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    OK, thanks for the replies re: jrpgs versus krpgs. I think I have a better handle on it now.

2. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    While I love action RPGs, I just tire of the krpg formula so it prevents me from playing great games like crimsonheart. I just prefer jrpgs or arpgs more like diablo an Mage gauntlet.

3. cookthroughtheages

cookthroughtheages Active Member

Aug 9, 2012
    kRPGs are considered as aRPGs as well but I do get your point. kRPGs have a different style from other aRPGs.

BTW, what jRPGs do you prefer?

4. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Just to chime in - some good examples of Krpg's on the app store are Aurum Blade (which is also free, with iap's), The Third Balde, and Hybrid. At least, those are a handful that I liked.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Ive always considered Third Blade as a brawler with RPG elements. But i guess it can be considered a KRPG too.

6. Go with Avernum, I prefer it to Avadon.

7. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011

Yeah, from reading some of the responses on here I get the impression that some people consider krpg's more like mmo's, while I guess my impression is that they are like aprg's with plenty o' 'grinding' (which I like). It get's easy to get lost when a genre gets too many sub-divisions. Either way, it's all good :)

8. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    Not sure if people will like but another KRPG that is nice, except for the translations, is Master of Dungeon. Really bad translation but understandable. :)

9. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    At current master of dungeon only runs on iPad 2 + 3 and the iPhone 4s, I believe. Just a warning to iPod 4 and possibly iPhone 4 users.

10. Aaron0887

Aaron0887 New Member

Aug 15, 2012
    #50 Aaron0887, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    As I too am new to iOS (Got an iPad 3 about a month after launch) I thought I'd chime in, being a fellow RPG fan.

I can definitely recommend Avernum, Avadon and Aralon as all three are deep PC style games that will keep you engaged for a long time. I've also actually rather enjoyed Inotia 3 and 4, perhaps as an ex-WoW player I'm sort of used to that fetch quest style game play though. Final fantasy 3 is also an excellent port!

To be honest those are the only games I've got deep enough into to have an opinion, though I've actually expanded my library somewhat based on suggestions in this thread, so thanks for the input everyone!

11. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    thank you for the input.. i'll be adding all my inputs as soon as i get to decide what i actually would play.

for now, what i'm sticking to is battleheart although not really a story rpg, hunters 2 although a shooter rpg, and rpg - grinsia by kemco which for some reason i am liking better than ash at the moment. or maybe its much simpler than ash so i'll stick with it first then go on ash second. :)

12. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I think that Knighturn has been mentioned, but I have to say that I really love it, gameplay-wise.
    I tried it previously and liked it, but was distracted by other things. Now I really got into it and wow! Gameplay is like crack - very deep and enjoyable. It is a SRPG, where units level up and can be equipped, but, thankfully, don't die, just become unavailable for a time. Writing is very decent and funny, too.

OTOH, presentation is extremely spartan and there is a certain barrier of entry, before you figure out subtleties of the rules, etc. There is a Lite version to try and I'd certainly recommend anybody interested in a very well-done SRPG gameplay to try it.