RPG Comparison Questions

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cookthroughtheages, Aug 9, 2012.

?

Games to Buy? Choose all that are worthy.

1. Eternal Legacy

23.5%
  2. Underworlds

8.8%
  3. Zenonia Series

32.4%
  4. Inotia Series

23.5%
  5. Spectral Souls

14.7%
  6. Seed Series

5.9%
  7. Exitium: Swords of Vardonia

11.8%
  8. Avadon and Avernum

50.0%
  9. Ravensword

44.1%
  10. Fara

5.9%
  1. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    #21 curtisrshideler, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    Favorite RPG's

I have a whole folder of RPG's on my iPhone at the moment. I've started quite a few that I enjoy, but there have only been a handful that I've really dug into.

First, Dragon Fantasy is probably the first RPG I finished on my phone. All 4 stories. I recommend it highly. It's like Guardian Saga, but funny and much easier to look at in my opinion.

Second, I have invested almost 20 hours into FF3 because I love to grind and explore. It's the closest we have to FF7 in our pockets... for now!

Third, I am thoroughly enjoying Ash right now. It has clean graphics, an awesome story, and very well written (sometimes humorous) dialogue.

Fourth, Adventure Bar Story is a unique JRPG with both leveling/turn-based fights and a cooking/crafting sim. Very interesting.

Fifth, Dragon's Odyssey: Frane is a PC RPG that was ported very well over to the iPhone/iPad. It is a soft action RPG with A LOT of crafting, relationships, items, story, dialogue, and places to explore. I've been really getting into it even though I've barely scratched the surface of what's there.

And I love the Chaos Rings series, but you've already gotten on that. So, enjoy! BUT, my favorite RPG on the iPhone used to be Crimson Gem Saga. I felt like that had one of the best stories, some of the best graphics in my opinion, and great music, dialogue, voice acting... And I loved the battle system and menus a lot. Unfortunately, the developer stopped updating it. So, if you're using a device with iOS 5+ on it, it will crash often and be pretty much unplayable. However, I have an old 3G that I keep around as a spare, and I still am able to play it on that with iOS 4+ so that's now my CGS game device.

Anyway, let's keep this topic rolling! I can't get enough RPG's. ;)

2. cookthroughtheages

cookthroughtheages Active Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Right now, me too. I have Ash, Battleheart, and Chaos Rings.

Oh ya, it does look promising. I'll get that as soon as money let's up

FF3 is really awesome. I would really get that but I have to finish FF2 first I guess.

I know. It really was on top of my to get RPGs so I hope I get to play it soon.

Everybody's been saying that. Unique game style.

Oh, that's what it was. Okie. Sure! :)

Oh, it crashes for iOS 5.. :( Boo!

Yes please. It's been awesome that this has really been a great thread to follow if you want to get into or dig deeper into the RPG scene in the iOS.

Does anyone know how does RPG Grinsia plays? It's the only one from the series (?; not sure if they are part of a series) that went down in price so I got it. I haven't had the chance to play it yet though.

3. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    I have iPhone rpg input.

I love jrpgs and didn't play krpg til I got my iPhone. Games I have played and have input on.

Aurum blade- my first krpg, thought was awesome at first but I don't see it as more than meh in hindsight.

Inotia 3- really enjoyed this one due to the multiple party dynamic. better than zenonia to me wich is controversial but my opinion.

Ff3- loved it, great throwback an classic ff game.

Ash 1/2- ash 1 is fantastic, 2 is a huge disappointment an ripoff since they haven't added chapters timely enough. 1 is highly recommended for ff fans tho.

Crimsonheart- playing now a few hrs into it. Very nice and smoother than inotia or zenonia. Same fetch quest krpg grind as always tho but so far a good representation of the genre.

Chaos rings 2- 5 hrs into it, great graphics, great turn based combat. Worth the price so far.

Mage gauntlet- incredible, tons of arpg fun.

Zenonia 4 and 2- 2 is known as the best but it bored me into stopping a few hrs into it, 4 is freemium crap with nice graphics and steep difficulty.

4. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    Okay, Freemium boo for Zenonia. It could have been good. They say it's harder to level up because it became freemium. To all the other games I will consider and look into it. I have Chaos Rings and Ash now and so will be playing them soon. I'll try to start posting reviews here and in my blog and here in this thread. :)

I love JRPGs as well. They are one of the games with the best storyline most of the time. KRPGs are good with aRPGs that are somewhat worth getting into for me but I would still love JRPGs hands down because again, I'm a Suikoden fan. Chrono Trigger will be second to that I guess unless I will revisit my past and remember what I played because that's what I remember. Hehe! And, well, if Monster Rancher decides to come back from the dead, I'll be good with that. I like that concept better than Pokemon.

5. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    #25 cookthroughtheages, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    RPG Comparison Questions Gist

If you wanna know the gist, I was looking for something with a good storyline and great battle gameplay. Great graphics isn't required but it does help. :)

So, the games so far that hit the list:

JRPGs
    Quality Graphics
    Chaos Rings Series(Best)
    Eternal Legacy (So-So)
    Final Fantasy III (Great)

Good Graphics
    Battle for Wesnoth (Good; Best actually but developer abandoned the project)
    Crimson Gem Saga (Best; crashes a lot on iOS 5 or so I've been told)
    Phantasy Star 2 (Best)
    RPG Dragons Odyssey Frane. (Best)

Retro Graphics
    Adventure Bar Story (Best)
    Ash Series (Best)
    Cthulu Saves the World (Best; Comical)
    Dragon Fantasy (Best)
    Final Fantasy 1 (Best)
    Final Fantasy 2 (Best)
    Guardian Saga (Best)

KRPGs
    Aurum Blade (Great)
    Crimsonheart (Best)
    Inotia Series (Bad or so I've been told but some beg to differ)
    Seed Series / Heroes of Time Best)
    Zenonia Series (So-so)

Action RPGs
    Good Graphics
    Battleheart (Best)
    Raid Leader (So-So)

Retro Graphics
    Mage Gauntlet (Best)

Turn-Based Tactics Strategy Games
    Quality Graphics
    Spectral Souls (Best)

Good Graphics
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (Best)
    Highborn (Great)
    Ravenmark (Best)

Retro Graphics
    CrazyQuest (Best)
    Knighturn (Best)
    Sw&Ear (Best)

Other RPGs
    Quality Graphics
    Aralon (Best; Dungeon Crawler or Skyrim like I think)
    Avadon (Best; Strategy but not sure)
    Avernum (Best; Strategy but not sure)
    Fara (Good; Casual Adventure)
    Ravensword (Best; Skyrim-y i think)

Good Graphics
    Fall of Angels
    Underworlds (Best; Hack n Slash)

Retro Graphics
    The Quest / The Quest Gold (Best; Retro Turn-Based)

Not sure but saw it
    Descend RPG (Great; Retro Turn-Based)
    Exitium (JRPG but not sure)
    RPG Grinsia and the rest of the series (JRPG but not sure)
    Undercroft (Good; Retro Turn-Based)

THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR
    World Without End

iOS games I've played here
    None yet so wait for it. :)

6. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    @ cookthroughtheages: The Kemco rpg's are really traditional. Imagine the 16 bit era never ended, and these are the rpg's that would be happening (I mean that in a good way).

I only have Fantasy Chronicle (which mysteriously vanished from the app store), though I do want to get Grinsa, just because the day/night thing looks intriguing.

I wouldn't say they are the best examples of the genre, but they are definitely worth your time.

And yes, I, too, am enjoying this thread - thank you everyone who is keeping it alive! :D

7. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    What's the storyline for the Kemco RPGs? Like, what's the chronological order or are they different games altogether.

Grinsia is at .99 cents right now so I got it. Ya, Fantasy Chronicle isn't there. Boo..

Hope the thread lives on because I really like how the conversation is making me more interested in playing different RPGs and strategy games even if that means getting my pockets a bit loose. :p

8. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I like finding out about new games, too! There is no chronological order to the Kemco games - they are stand alone. And! I forgot to mention - it seems that Kemco has been rotating each of the rpg series to be .99, so keep an eye out if you like Grinsa.

9. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    Cool! Thanks! Ya, didn't see the other ones before. Hope they go on sale again. :)

Hope Fantasy Chronicle goes back and some of the other RPGs that are only in the Android right now get to the iOS too. :)

10. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    You guys know any updates from Konami if they will be porting Suikoden? Or from Square Enix if they'll be remaking FF VII and/or making versions of their iPhone games to iPad (e.g. FF1, FF2, Chrono Trigger) and/or porting other games like Chrono Cross and other FF series games, etc.? Is Breath of Fire, Tales of, and/or Fire Emblem coming to the iOS?

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Disappointing to not find 100 Rogues, Sword of Fargoal, Saturday Morning RPG or Swordigo on the ones mentioned here.

12. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    Well, not yet too late to add input so how are those games? :)

13. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    No word on konami ports as far as I know.
    Square is working on FF dimensions(?). There's a thread in upcoming games for it.
    There should be a port of lunar. Which was a really good old game.
    And no one's mentioned Vay. I haven't downloaded it. If the port's good, it would be one of the best jrpg's on the AppStore.

14. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Can someone provide a really brief explanation of the difference between jrpgs and krpgs? Other than the obvious country of origin, I mean.

I've never been clear on the difference. Thanks in advance for any info.

15. AaronLee

AaronLee Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Interactive Designer
    Philadelphia
    Well, I think the jrpg's are more like random encounter turn based RPG's. Krpg's though, I too am a little unclear. What I've played and how people describe them are what I thought used to be considered ARPG's (action rpg like Zelda). Is a krpg distinctly from Korea, or has it become more of a genre style?

16. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    It's more of a genre style. When most people say KRPG, they are talking about something that is virtually identical to Zenonia. Regardless of the interface though, I'd say KRPGs usually are structured more like offline MMOs than anything else considering that except for some early entries, most MMORPGs now follow the Korean model whether their Korean, Japanese, Chinese or wherever.

17. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Get Ravensword and Aralon.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ...And KRPGs usually have numerous Gather X quest styles.

19. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    All the examples have been good, but there are elements missing that separate the games. Fetch quests being the main form of leveling is the major combat difference but also loot. Jrpg like final fantasy and even secret of mana use set loot, Meaning you buy upgrades at shops or find in chests, but it's always the same weapon/armor in the chest. In krpg, the loot is randomized like diablo and you can stumble on lucky drops or craft it.

20. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    Are there others? Like if Thousand Arms and Wild Arms will come to the iOS, I'd pretty much love them. :) Oh! Oh! Oh! And, STAR OCEAN!!!

I can't seem to find the Lunar port but the Vay is a good port or so they say.

I'm currently playing Ash, Battleheart, and Chaos Rings. Trying to stop juggling and focus on one but kind of hard to do that as well. XD

Japanese RPGs have (mostly) great storylines and are (almost always) turn-based RPGs. Korean RPGs are mostly different styles of Action RPGs that have random loots, but still (or hopefully) have good storylines. And yes, they are like offline MMORPGs.

In bias, I love Japanese RPGs because of the great storyline, the diversity in character selection may it be in jobs or number of characters to choose from, and the battle system of having to choose different skills rather than performing it is, in my mind, a mind strategy that I like playing.