Universal Royal Bounty HD - from Palm Kingdoms devs

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by iosoftware, Oct 5, 2015.

1. iosoftware

iosoftware Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    Game Developer
    Varna
    #1 iosoftware, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Description
    New World Computing Approved

"Hi Guys! looks good so far! keep up the good work. I worked on HoMM 3 and 4 creating all of the skill and spell icons and HoMM interface graphics and would be interested in possibly helping out with your great game. Let me know if you might need something that I could provide. Good Luck!"

Brian Kemper
    New World Computing

Royal Bounty HD was crafted for the lovers of old adventure RPGs like King’s Bounty (1990). You are an adventurer named Jim, just out of the island prison. How you ended up like this is unknown. You have no gold and no army. Angry Cell Guard is chasing your heels. Your first quest is get away from the maze and find a ship. But it is just a beginning of the story. Your road lies across four huge continents, inhabited by a variety of monsters. You are going to visit a desert, frozen lands, go through woods and towns, and in the finale meet your old friend, The Master. En route you’ll have to earn money and gather an army to face him fully equipped. Nevertheless, you will still need a helping hand from Dragons.

*gorgeous, unmatched, top-class pixel art
    *true hardcore gameplay like back in the 90’s
    *180 creature types in your army
    *long plot featuring several endings
    *tons of quests
    *well polished user interface

App Store Link: We're back! https://appsto.re/us/7PR8gb.i

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    This is very much what the App Store description implies: a homage to the original King's Bounty (that in turn inspired the HoMM games) that plays like a full remake.

The combat, hero management, world travel, graphics and underlying mechanics are nearly identical to the Palm Kingdom series/HoMM 2. But instead of battling through map-specific matches, fielding several heroes, seizing castles and adhering to a single faction, you play a lone hero that rambles about a semi-open world, recruiting units from all sorts of dens, warrens, burrows and buildings, with a continuous narrative, and long-term progression.

The results is a more relaxed, less focused HoMM experience, where the player is free to stumble about the countryside, kill the furry and the crawly and the monstrous at her own leisure and develop her hero freely, without the need to fend of other heroes and constantly work to capture the holdings of the other factions (but also without the tactical satisfaction).

I've never cared much for iosoftware's writing (thuogh it seems to have improved), and just like the Palm Kingdoms games, Royal Bounty is a quite bare, minimalistic experience outside the core mechanics (presentation, extra features, narrative, etc). But if you can peer past that, this is very much the King's Bounty of old, and a real HoMM-like title, and it what it sets out to do, it does very well.

3. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    A great mini-review. Thank you for taking the time to post it. I love turn-based strategy, but I'll likely pass for the same reason I've passed on all the other mobile HOMM adaptations: no random map generator. I don't enjoy campaigns, and the included skirmish maps always get stale too fast.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nice!

I look forward to picking this up when my wallet (and free time) recover a bit! ;)

5. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    What are the IAP for?

6. Halisha

Halisha Member

Mar 31, 2015
    Wow!

It bring back my childhood when I play Heroes of Might & Magic. I will get this one.

7. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Well hello there!

8. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    had a blast with this on steam. gonna get this again for gaming on the go!

9. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Is exactly what i also would like to know.

10. igorgorina

igorgorina Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2012
    This looks great! It really reminds me of the time I spent playing like a mad man HoMM 2 and 3, those were the best in the series.

If it plays the way it looks, I say its a keeper for me.

Great work, keep it up!

11. iosoftware

May 13, 2009
    Game Developer
    Varna
    The IAPs are gold. You don't have to use them or to know they exist at all, to complete the game. Some... inexperienced players, however, complained about the difficulty when attacking random paladins with peasants. The IAPs are for those users.

12. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Thanks, that's good enough for me to push the buy button.

13. Son of Anarchy

Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2015
    Male
    Shadow Runner
    Australia
    What (if any) are the differences between this and the older iPhone version you guys used to have? Thanks in advance.

14. iosoftware

May 13, 2009
    Game Developer
    Varna
    4 years of work. If that says anything...

15. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    ...an adventurer named... Jim?

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for reading it, and potentially letting it influence yer purchases ;) And yeah, and a random map generator wouldn't even have a natural place in Royal Bounty, even had iosoftware finally adressed that common request, as the game is solely a contiguous narrative experience, with no matches to win but the eventual end of the story. All the more reason for you not to go fer it if you are looking for random maps and matches, I'd say.

17. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #17 ScotDamn, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    I played this for about 30 minutes last night before bed and really enjoyed it. I can't wait to play it more tonight. I'm really digging the graphics. The gameplay thus far feels like HoMM with similar battles. I can't wait to play some more tonight.

I can at least confirm that the ui and graphics look beautiful.

18. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Yeah it definitely felt more streamlined and linear. I'm not familiar with the source material I guess.

19. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Awesome. Thanks for the impressions.

20. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    A bit off topic, but wandering if iosoftware ever considered a port/remake of New World Computings 2nd iteration of their Kings-Bounty-style games: Hammer of the Gods. It released right before the first HoMM, themed around Norse mythos; like an unrefined HoMM, but with Vikings, really unique and fun.