ROUNDUP: how does iPhone compare to Windows Mobile browsers

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Menneisyys, Jan 4, 2009.

1. mek

mek Well-Known Member

would you rather have the safari browser crash, and spit you back out to the homescreen, where you can reload

or experience a blue screen of death, and spend 15 minutes rebooting your system

hmmm

2. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    #22 Menneisyys, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
    WinMo only has (very slow) Flash 7 support. Both Symbian S60 and WinMo have excellent Flash Lite 3 support - it's pretty much usable to play compatible Web videos. In the latter, it's more flexible than iPhone's Safari as it supports, for example, Google Video and some YouTube clips iPhone (2.2) just can't play back - see for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q9Pc0Fxh7c

3. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Well, neither (native) WinMo / Symbian / BB browsers force you to restart the entire device. WinMo's PIE, under old(er) OS'es, used to crash frequently (but that didn't result in having to restart the entire device either); now, however, it's pretty much stable. So are most other browsers.

4. KittyGotSued

KittyGotSued Active Member

Dec 15, 2008
  5. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
  6. Modus

Modus Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Flash is a massive system hog.

The only reason it works on desktop/laptop CPUs is because they're so much more powerful now: Yet Flash can still bring them to their knees.

Try running a modern flash intensive website on a P4 and you'll see what I mean.

7. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    Let me disagree. Under Windows, with the latest Adobe 9/10 distros, most Flash sites only result in 10-30% CPU time - at most (measured on a 2 GHz P4). The Windows version of Flash 9/10 is pretty well done - much better than on any other platform, it seems (Windows Mobile, OS X etc.)

Basically, it's only Flash Lite that is actually usable on mobile platforms (WinMo, S60). It's way better than the "real" Flash 7 for WinMo.

8. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008
    I have just posted a heavily updated version of the article.

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    As much as I dislike Windows, I must agree that Flash for Windows has always been better than for Mac. Even Flash 5 / 6 on Mac was very slow compared to its Windows counterparts. I don't think it's about the machine as nowadays Flash on Mac still sucks compared PC with same hardware specs. Let's blame Adobe for being lazy to optimize their code?

Anyway, I still prefer it without Flash. Those ads are just killing me.. and my monthly quota too.

10. Menneisyys

Dec 12, 2008