ROUNDUP: how does iPhone compare to Windows Mobile browsers

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Menneisyys, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
  2. dlogik

dlogik Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    This is one of those rhetorical questions rights? :rolleyes:

3. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    Well mobile safari crashes every 10 minutes so if these stay running I say they win.

4. mrsteveman1

mrsteveman1 Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2008
    I haven't seen it crash once since 2.2

5. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    im on 2.1 and it crashes a ton

6. {klondike}

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    Well lucky you.

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

I've seen it crash once on 2.2. Really, just once...it was a huge page with loads of images so I'm not completely surprised. It actually loaded once, but crashed when I went back and reloaded at one point.

--Eric

8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    And why exactly don't you update it to 2.2?

9. {klondike}

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    And why exactly do you need to know? He has his reasons so stay out of his buisness.

10. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Geez, so sensitive! Are you his over-protective big sister?

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    ... how the heck did we go from mobile browsers to this? stay on topic, guys.

12. {klondike}

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    Nope. If I was then my name would be 'Rocketman918'.

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Because the reason some people avoiding 2.2 is their iPhones are jailbroken and they have so many mod-apps that might mess up the system, eg: BossPrefs.

These people have no right of blaming Safari the way they have no right of blaming TS Tennis for not running properly on their jailbroken iPhones.

If jailbreak isn't his reason, then he'd better upgrade to 2.2. He has nothing to lose.

14. oticon6

oticon6 Member

Aug 6, 2008
    If you don't want to update, don't complain about the performance.

Safari on the iPhone is MUCH better at displaying pages than Windows Mobile browsers. It is the ONLY complete mobile browser at the moment. My only issue with it is that a large animated gif can still cause it to crash. Everything else seems to have been resolved.

15. {klondike}

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    Complete? There's no flash player or copy and paste. I hardly call that 'complete'.

16. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    exactly!

17. dlogik

dlogik Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2008
    What is it with people demanding that there should be a flash player...I for one am happy nytimes.com and other sites aren't bogged down with flash ads and "OH MY GOSH! NO WAY!" sound effects from idiotic banners.

Safari, as it stands now is the most advanced, user friendly, and well developed mobile browsing app going, because of it's simplicity.

And I totally agree with the other posters regarding the lack of sympathy for 2.1 jailbreakers.

18. Menneisyys

Menneisyys Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    You're lucky :) Nevertheless, the crashes aren't that big an issue IMHO - I still prefer Web browsing on my iPhone because Safari is just faster and easier to use than anything on Windows Mobile.

19. CrocStock

CrocStock Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    I have never had any problems with Safari, it works very well and I doubt the Microsoft Mobile works very well at all considering their current rate of failure.

20. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I'm really happy that Apple does not ship Flash for Safari. I wanna kill someone every time Flash starts to play a YouTube-high-quality-movie with the great framerate of 3 frames per second on 100% CPU on my iMac G5 (which handels every other movie format up to 720p without problems). And guess who is to blame when my account is slow and the cpu is used to 95%? Yeah, of course, it's flash in the Safari of my gfs account eating up everything to display (tadah!) a scrolling banner with news from a tv station in a skyscraper ad.

So keep this garbage off my phone until it's fully optimized, which obviously will never happen (prove above).

And, btw: Can you name one single browser on a mobile device, which offers Flash? The real Flash, not the mobile edition of it. I can't. Must have some cause.