iPad Rounders

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Phi6, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Has anyone tried [app]Rounders[/app]?
    I love THE, and this seems like a storyline adventure game based on it.
    The screenshots look decent but I'm pissed off they haven't included any screens of actual THE play, or am I missing something here?

It's pretty expensive as well.

2. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Well I'm a big fan of the film so I caved in a paid my £5.99. Will post my thoughts soon

3. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    This is one of my favorite movies, up there with Léon, La Femme Nakita and Domino.

4. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    It's a hard game to like.

Feels like a J2ME cellphone game port, no iPhone swipes and theres a Crystal Defender's style dpad for interacting with the menu.

The art is reasonably nice, seems polished to some extent, but animation quality and general feel seems like it comes straight out of the 90s point and click adventure games. And not in a good way.

Sound and music, what's there (and there is hardly any) is very low quality, might as well have been coming out of a PC beeper.

Basically it follows the storyline, you start off with no money and slowly work your way up, playing in the different locations from the film.

To the actual poker, it seems like a poor-mans version of Apple's Texas Holdem game. Jerky animations. You can't see a table overview, its all first person.

It's boring.

It's expensive.

I'm very disappointed.

Took OFTT

5. pokerfan

pokerfan New Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Rounders

I have played this game yesterday story mode is amazing. Well everyone should buy this game.

admin edit: this appears to be the developer shilling his own game

6. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    No offense to you pokerfan, but i think i believe Phi6 on that one. I thought it would be pretty nice, guess not...Thanks for toffting Phi. :)

7. pokerfan

pokerfan New Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #7 pokerfan, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    Guys you download the game and play then only you will undestand. Rounders is definately a good game. Story line is simply amazing.

admin edit: this appears to be the developer shilling his own game

8. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Did you make this game, "poker fan" 2 post member?

I think theres a reason why the developer failed to include actual poker gameplay in the screenshots.

9. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
  10. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    #10 Phi6, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
    Yes it was probably a decent cellphone game for its time.
    But standards have been upped and a direct port is simply not good enough. Compared to Apple's Texas Holdem this holds no cards.

It is also now been dropped to £2.99. The developer obviously got brought back down to Earth. Even at £2.99, it's not good enough.

11. butters

Feb 4, 2009
    Wow, they really just dropped this? Boy would i be pi***d if a game came out, i'd buy it and on the same day(!!!) it drops in price that much...

12. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    It depends. If it's a game that's been out for a while, you kinda understand the risk, and if it's a really good game you forgive the devs a bit. Happened to me once when I bought Soul Trapper for full price ($7.99) early one morning (after midnight) 'cause I had a trip, and when I checked in the afternoon that day, the thing was on sale for $1.99, iirc. Still, it's one of my favorite experiences on this device, and looking back I'd have gladly paid more than full price. Plus it was on the App Store for months before I broke down and bought it.

But stuff like this? After only one day on the App Store? Hell no. I'd be super pissed. Especially since it apparently isn't that good a game.

13. butters

Feb 4, 2009
    I guess what i wrote was kinda wrongly put. What i meant was:

App is realeased at high price > i buy it > App is reduced in price (nearly half) only within hours of it's original release > MADNESS!

If an App is reduced in price (after some days/weeks/whatever) and i bought it a short time before that would be tough luck, but i'd not even be irritated because that just happens. What they did with Rounders on the other hand is just ridiculous.

14. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    I don't know if anyone is interested but this is 99 cents now.

15. LordCrom

LordCrom Well-Known Member

Just noticed this. $9.99 not even 2 weeks ago, then dropped to $4.99 withing a few hours of it coming out and now .99. There are going to be some very upset individuals who picked this one up for $9.99.

I picked it up now. It was one I wanted to try out when it first came out, but wasn't willing to pay more then a buck.

16. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I picked it up for 9.99
    I dont mind the price drop, if the quality of the game wasn't so bad, and also if the developer didn't use dirty tactics to advertise his game.

How did you find the game LordCrom?

17. LordCrom

LordCrom Well-Known Member

I first saw it here on TA when it was released. I didn't expect the price to drop so quickly. Glad it did. I had heard it wasn't that great. But I felt my interest in it was worth a $1. Sorry you picked it up for it's initial price. I would be pretty upset myself.

18. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    thoughts on the game itself?

19. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    If I already have Apple THE, is this worth (being a bad cellphone port and all) getting for 99 cents?

20. soccerstud652

soccerstud652 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Its actually kind of fun for $0.99.