iPad Rotorumpus......anybody try it?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Griff, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Griff

Griff Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    NYC, NY
    The game looks interesting, there is a video up on the developers page.

In an odd way, it sort of looks like a puzzle version of Rez.

Anybody try it yet?

Here's the link.....

http://uglyapps.com/rotorumpus/

2. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It looks interesting. It's just like the hacking minigame in Bionic Commando: Rearmed but expanded into a full game.

I'll definitely get it but I don't know when. I have sim city and 7 cities today, rolando comes out tomorrow =/

3. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Haha, I thought exactly the same thing when I first saw it! :D

The video looked interesting.
    Heres the link btw: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=299798189&mt=8

4. tosui

tosui Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    As a first app from a new dev, the idea seems really cool. But the graphics are a little too empty and bland for my taste. Plus, the icon is one of the ugliest I've seen :p (Hey, these things matter to me!) Of course, the dev is called "Ugly Apps"!

I'm gonna wait and see what the first update brings. I have a feeling that, as they're new, they will be making some good additions.

5. ThomasHarte

ThomasHarte Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Hi, I am the programmer of Rotorumpus and thanks to all for the positive comments. Re: the icon, that's the result of a slight mistake on my part. The icon should have a solid black background. The version I uploaded to Apple has a transparent background. By coincidence, it seems that the relevant part of the Apple website displays icons with a transparent background on top of a black layer, so I did not notice my error. A new version has been submitted. Do a quick search for Rotorumpus on the application store on your handset to see it rendered correctly (since that one's taken from the application itself, not the other information supplied when submitting the application.

So, anyway, hopefully it'll stop being so ugly soon.

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments; we do intend to improve the product based on our own ideas and any constructive feedback we receive. We've set ourselves up with a feedback forum here and will evaluate any criticism given in iTunes reviews.

Perhaps surprisingly, I've not played or seen Bionic Commando: Rearmed...

6. makes me nauseous looking at it

i love games like that ^_^

7. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Love the trailer on the site, cool music. Adding it to my list of apps to get.

8. ThomasHarte

ThomasHarte Member

Dec 17, 2008
    The music is by a musician called Destroy0r with whom we have a non-exclusive agreement. If you're into that sort of thing, you can check out more of his work at his myspace page.

9. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    game looks pretty sweet

10. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    So far it has a worldwide average of 4 stars but I'm waiting for more reviews.

11. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Who the f*ck cares!?!?!?! Rolando is out!!!!

12. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    Not everybody was suckered in by the hype, you know. ;)

13. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    To be honest, I'm considering this game a little more right now. I'm still working through Chronicles of Inotia and Tiki Towers. If I buy anything it'll have to be a puzzle or something small. Rolando will have to wait a little bit.

14. ThomasHarte

ThomasHarte Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Don't know if it helps you decide, but we've also had a positive mention on iPhoneIndia. We've submitted promotion codes to a bunch of sites, so there'll hopefully be more reviews forthcoming.

We'll probably get a bit buried by Rolando, but at this time of year we were bound to get buried by something.

15. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Wow! So far I'm impressed.

Wow. This is something a little bit different. I've only been playing around with the first stage but I like it so far.

I'll try to describe the gameplay.

Imagine a clear cube. Suspended inside the clear cube are different type of blocks. One block can move. One block is the "target" block. The block that can move can only do so in a straight line. When it moves it must come to a stop at the target block or up against one of the blocks that does not move. The target block is green in colour. Blocks that cannot move are highlighted in blue only when they can be reached in a straight line by the block that can move. Think of the blocks that can't move as similar to the items in Mouse About that stop Marv from running off the edge of the screen (not the food Marv eats). Now imagine it in 3D. Then imagine it as a multi-level 3D environment. These blocks are all suspended at different heights/levels inside the clear "cube". Now imagine rotating the clear cube with all this inside it and being able to zoom in and out. Then touch a static/fixed block to move the moveable block. Pan around. Zoom in and out. Try to work out how to get the moveable block to the target block. Like I said before, wow!

I've only been playing levels in stage 1 and it has been fairly straight forward and easy so far. I'm guessing that the difficulty increases for the remaining 3 stages and their levels?

I've found one bug so far. When I finished level 1 of stage 1 this unlocked level 1 of stage 2. I don't think it is meant to do that.

16. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    @ snow_mani: Thanks for the review, I'm so buying this!
    :)

17. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    @Chiller ONE - you're welcome. Just remember I've only played with stage 1 so far. I am hoping the difficulty increases on the remaining levels. :)

18. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I played through the first 6 or seven levels now, totally love the style, it is the Mouse About style in 3D... At the moment way too easy, as you mostly just have one or two ways to choose, so it is an very quick kind of trial and error. But presentation is exactly my thing :) thanks for this!

19. ThomasHarte

ThomasHarte Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Obviously as part of the development team I'm not able to give a balanced critical view, but the levels are designed to ramp up in difficulty and the more interesting types of block are introduced later in the game. Thanks again for all the positive comments!

20. Chiller ONE

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    I finally bought it and its great, its really similar to the hacking minigame in Bionic Commando: Rearmed but much less frustrating, so far it has been pretty easy.