Universal rop (By MildMania)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Gamer1st

Gamer1st Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    None. But I dream about being able to work again.
    USA
    Is another update in the works? So far the only gameplay I've seen is on vids.

2. parabola_master

parabola_master Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Game Impressions

This is a great, relaxing puzzler. It has a superb presentation (even right down to the level section screens!), and the gameplay is incredibly intuitive and deceptively challenging.

The game reminds me of those 'Untangle' games you can find online, except that here you have to match the figure to a picture--rather, a simple geometric shape. It's very neat seeing what types of shapes you can form using the rope.

3. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    #43 Andy C83, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    [​IMG]
    12th March 2015

[thread=256996][​IMG][/thread] [thread=257071][​IMG][/thread] [thread=256963][​IMG][/thread] [thread=254997][​IMG][/thread] [thread=257022][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=257116][​IMG][/thread] [thread=256989][​IMG][/thread] [thread=256961][​IMG][/thread] [thread=257058][​IMG][/thread]

rop

[​IMG]

Is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

VOTE HERE

Developers, publishers and affiliates cannot vote for their own games!!

4. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    #44 Valentia, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    I am still having so much fun with this one. It's just lovely. I voted it GoTW, in fact. Although I do really like several of the other choices this week, it's rop I play the most. By far. I love everything about it. It is so relaxing to play, and I am always looking for games like that.

At the moment I seem to be hopelessly stuck on level 34, but I shall prevail! :)

Oh, I just watched your "making of" video, and saw the Cat's Cradle inspiration! No wonder I love this game--CC was one of my very favorite childhood games (and I was very good at it). I'm surprised I didn't make the connection before. Of course, it's been a few decades since then.... :)

5. Gamer1st

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    Sorry.
    Can't vote for it cause I still can't play it.
    And from the store reviews there are several others with the exact same problem.
    Both company logos showing at the same time and flickering with a lockup.

6. junus_

junus_ Member

Oct 31, 2014
    I have sent private message. Please check it. Thanks :)

7. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Restarting my device fixed the problem mentioned above. However, I'm stuck on level 3 and it won't let me continue.

8. MildMania

MildMania Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Spawning Magical Games!
    We found out that the cause of problem is with Adobe Air's bug not able to arrange space for Save game data when you have free space under 400MB ( it depends, on some cases it gives permission sometimes it just kicks you out )

So be sure that you have at least 400MB if you're having flickering and freezing issues :)

9. TheGodless

TheGodless Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    You do know that 400MB is like a dozen mid size games right?
    Not sure about the rest of TA'ers, but I rarely have 100MB free and have to find games to cull out every Wednesday just to be able to consider getting new games. I have ran into the issue of not having enough MBs to play other games and I've never been able to figure out why not having enough ROM would matter once a game is installed. I would understand it if I didn't have enough RAM or if there was some additional game content that needed to be installed, but why would it matter if I have 100MB or 400MB when a game has already been installed and doesn't have any additional content to download? Alas, it is Wednesday anyways, so I will see if I can find 400MBs worth of games to delete. Thanks for the info about the bugs. It's refreshing to hear a Dev letting the players in on that aspect of their game rather than players having to sit and wonder why their game keeps crashing. Hope you all get it all figured out so us game hoarders can enjoy the game too.

10. MildMania

Nov 22, 2013
    Spawning Magical Games!
    I know it's not reasonable but the bug is causing from Adobe AIR although save game data only requires 10KB in space, it fails to arrange any space when you have under couple of hundreds of MB. I don't know the real value, however you can try and see as you remove other apps.
    We're working on it for 2 days talking with ADOBE first hand too, when we find a fix, we'll update it quickly!
    Sorry for the inconvenience

11. Gamer1st

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    The Rop guys sent me several test versions of the game and the only way it ran is with saves disabled. (if I'm stating that correctly)
    This looks like Adobe needs to get their sh@t together.
    There are a lot of people that use their i devices for gaming now and this will be an instant blow to the bottom line of anyone using an engine that utilities memory badly.
    I have 128Gb iPad full of nothing but games and the only titles in the last 60 days I've had issues with are this one and Auro, and Auro wanted more space than I was willing to clear at over 1.2Gb free and it still wouldn't run right. It makes me wonder if that game also uses Adobe. If that's going to be an ongoing problem it looks like just skipping anything made with Adobe will "fix" the issue. Keeping the "refund" button handy is a bad choice for the players and devs but what else is there if Adobe doesn't fix the issue?

12. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I have seen this issue for MANY games. I don't even know if it's an Adobe specific issue.

Btw, is your game getting pirated like crazy or are you doing really well because I see about 50000 Game Center users? Those kind of numbers are even high for top sellers.

13. Gamer1st

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    I've seen a good number of games as well. Over the last year and a half of games DLs with numbers of titles in the area of 10,000 games I'd say I've run onto right at 30ish titles that don't work.
    The ones I mentioned are just the last two I've had issues with.
    Maybe we need to start a list of "Games that don't play with low memory" thread. Rop, Auro, Gunbrick, Bardbarian, a top rated Pixel Rush game I can't remember the name of, and several others that may come to me over time would be on that list. It's especially annoying that the other 10,000 games all work well no matter the level of memory left. Most all of those games run just fine with as little as a few MBs empty. That's what makes me think it's poor optimization or a glitch like the Adobe one that are at fault. My only recourse at this point has been to report the problem and "request a refund" buttons.
    I'd like to see that change since I want to keep every game I buy. Sadly that's just not possible when they never get fixed.
    What all titles have you guys had problems with?

14. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    The list goes on SH, golorkian worrier, 4444. From what I've heard the problem is linked directly to Game Center.

15. MildMania

Nov 22, 2013
    Spawning Magical Games!
    Problem is not the low memory, it works in low memory devices, but it doesn't work on low disk space.

For now we're working on trivial fix until the we get fix from Adobe side,

When you refund the game Adobe doesn't get noticed, we just lose money and lose trust of Apple, that's bad side of that.

The thing to do right now might be getting Adobe notice the problems and work on fixes (hopefully)

Not sure what to do but reporting issue from developer or refunding has real bad side effects on us especially when you're a small indie developer

16. Gamer1st

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    #56 Gamer1st, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    That's what I was afraid of. You guys are the last ones we want to see hurt since you make the games we buy and love.
    The only people that can put pressure on the companies like A would be the devs since they are the ones that directly pay A.
    Unless you think that end users can put the screws to them somehow.
    I'm all for that if it can be done.
    It would be easier to do if we knew who was using A in their games, but that info isn't usually shared with an end user/gamer. If it was we could just send A a message telling them all games made with A will be automatically overlooked until and unless they fix their problem.
    That would eventually force A to fix the problem if they still want it continued to be used by devs.

17. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    MildMania,

Interesting puzzle concept. Great ambiance for a relaxing puzzle game.

Have you investigated on the minimum number of moves needed to complete each level? Obviously, if a figure has 'm' vertices and 'n' of them are already occupied at the start of the level, the level can only be solvable in 'm-n' moves or more (cannot be less than 'm-n'). However, in cases in which a pair of positions are occupied by two vertices that need to take the positions of each other, one additional move must be added to make the exchange (the same can be extended to a cycle of k vertices that need to be "rotated").

It would be cool if you have tested this so that each level in your game can ALWAYS be solvable using at most 'm-n' moves (and not more).

18. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Now FREE (77 levels) for the first time. Recommended!

19. btantra

btantra Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2011
    Developer