Universal ROME: Total War (By Feral Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 10, 2016.

1. PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG Active Member

Dec 16, 2010
    One thing I have noticed and I think this is a bug.

While playing the Brutii, for some reason I can't select Fire at Will mode for my archers or ballista. The button is there but is greyed out and clicking it does nothing.

Am I missing something here? This should be fairly easy to do.

2. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    I think this happened to me as well

3. PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG Active Member

Dec 16, 2010
    It's definitely a bug. A pretty big one considering I like to have an enemy army run into my arrows first before I start using cavalry.
    Right now I have to choose each archer unit and click on an individual enemy unit, which is not the best when I sometimes mis hit something and have them start walking to that point.

4. elektrisko

elektrisko Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2016
    How powerful device do you need to play this without lag? I have played Total War a lot on the PC, but it would be very interesting to try it out on a tablet..

5. PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG Active Member

Dec 16, 2010
    All the supported tablets play it very smoothly. No lag on my iPad pro 9.7.

6. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    And from the other end of the scale, works perfectly fine on my iPad mini 2 – I have noticed a little lag when it’s a particularly big battle and theres a lot of background (mostly when it’s a siege battle with massive walls and full armies both sides) but even then its very slight, 98% time runs without any lag

The developers mentioned earlier that the graphics are slightly lower on the weaker specs and the squad sizes are smaller, but it doesn’t affect the balancing of the game and even with the supposedly lower graphics it’s the highest resolution version of Rome:total war ive ever played, must look brilliant on the pro

No regrets buying here at all, has pushed X:Com off as my favourite AAA game thats perfect for an iPad

7. chronosz

chronosz Well-Known Member

May 24, 2016
    Cant keep up on my economy. Playing as Julii. Any tips for a beginner? I keep getting attacked by Gaul and getting destroyed. Im building farms, temples, naval ports, palaces and still not bringing in enough gold to keep up.

8. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Read some guides or self manage some towns

9. chronosz

May 24, 2016
    when the senate asks you to take over a town, is it that important to do that right away? whenever i get the request, i do it but there are powerful armies blocking those towns and they decimate me. i have read many guides and watched you tube videos. anyways, ill keep trying. any faction you guys would recommend for a newbie?

10. adamlax

adamlax Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Male
    Your given a turn limit like 10 turns to do so. If you do not complete the mission then your popularity falls with the senate. If you complete the mission the your popularity rises with the senate and you'll propbably get members of your faction appointed in the senate. I don't think it's too important as when I play I love for the senate to hate me along with the other factions so I never do senate missions. I gain my popularity with the people instead of the senate. But you can do whatever you want.

11. PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG Active Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Remember, the Greek cities print money. So for a newbie, look for a good guide for playing the Brutii. You will be allied with 3 powerful nations right from the start, you will have access to the best units in the game and can usually roll over other armies and you have access to the Greek cities and can capture them to print money.

Easy. Plus your senate missions will be to capture those cities.

Once you know the game, I love Egypt and Seleucids or even Carthage. Or you can play the other roman factions.

12. chronosz

May 24, 2016
    K, I'll try Brutii. Thanks Phoenix!

13. PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG Active Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Once you conquer more lands, don't keep armies lying around. They should be on your borders, not sitting around in the heart of your empire. I've moved on in my Brutii campaign and have no armies (except for 2 militia units) in most towns.

My armies are in North Africa, having fought Carthage and reaching Egypt, near Halicarnassus and Byzantium, fighting Pontus, near Macedonia finishing off what's left of them.

If you're worried about rebellion, I would keep a good army inland covering 5-6 cities but never waste money on troops lying around.

Make sure you trade with anyone you can. Even people you want to attack. The AI at this stage of TW is not smart enough to get you too many negative effects..

Make more buildings that give you coin. Sell map information like crazy. Sell yours, ask for money. Bigger empires might trade, which is useful too to uncover the map.

Playing some of the new ones like Atilla makes me yearn for the simplicity of my iPad (and RTW).

You can also go to the Rome section of heavengames. They have great forums and loads of articles and guides.

You can do this :)

14. chronosz

May 24, 2016
    Awesome, thanks for the suggestions!

15. edddeduck_feral

edddeduck_feral Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Rome 1.5.1 update is live for Rome for iPad! Lots of improvements & fixes. http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/news/705/

• Improved Battle/Campaign radar map navigation.
    • "Tap and hold to view information" is now available on buildings in the Building Browser.
    • Generals' speech cutscenes now begin after the player dismisses the Wait/Deploy screen.
    • Improved text wrapping in some menu panels, improved Advisor prompts in the Tutorial, and improved general performance and stability.
    • Changed highlight colour on unit cards to make it easier to see (Thanks for the feedback on this from some Touch Arcade posters)

16. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    This great news look forward to continue my conquest of the known world.

17. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    Thanks, we plan on maintaining and improving the game over time this is just the first patch. :)

18. ludka33

ludka33 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2013
    What's the download size on that patch? I'm soooo close to being out of space. I need to know what I have to delete.

19. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Patch download was 3.x Gb

20. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    If you wait a few hours sometimes it reduces once Apple's servers do the calculations. We didn't change 3GB of data that's for sure closer to a few hundred MB (size of the application binary and some minor data fixes).