Universal ROME: Total War (By Feral Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 10, 2016.

1. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Firstly I just wanted to report that I absolutely love the game, I am a massive fan of the total war games on the PC and to be able to play it on an ipad is an impressive achievement of coding since the PC version of Rome:total war still brings the newest cherry trail atom processors to their knees! Im playing it on my ipad mini 2/retina it runs really smoothly and I don't find the smaller size of the screen an issue when playing the game, it is however the first game that makes me want to upgrade my ipad to a newer one, not because of issues with running it, but because i want to have massive battles! :)

As to suggestions, im sure they're planned but the Alexandra and Barbarian Horde expansion packs would be awesome to be able to get, in addition I echo the requests for more ports in future, particular favorites being Medieval 2, Napolean (which was better than Empire IMO) and, and I realize this is a stretch since it just came out, Warhammer :)

Online and local multiplayer battles would be excellent, both Player vs Player but I would also hope for Player&Player vs CPU - hopefully this can be added in the future

Another Pie in the sky suggestion I mentioned on twitter, I am not sure how doable it would be, but adding voice commands would be a very cool and immersive feature that would add to commanding battles - I am thinking of relatively simple orders like being able to switch between banded Units "Unit 1" "unit 2", perhaps some simple movement/action calls like "advance" "fire/hold your fire" would make it feel like you were really commanding the battles

2. edddeduck_feral

edddeduck_feral Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2016
    I'm sorry you have found Rome a little complex to play. Firstly I'd highly recommend you try out all the three help systems I mentioned in the post above. These should help you avoid some of the issues you have encountered.

This sounds like you pressed the auto resolve battle which has the AI complete the fight for you. If you hold your finger down on any button the help area will list what that button does.

If you have setup the defaults for auto governors then they will do things like build and repair your settlement without the need for manual intervention. You can see this checkbox in the settlement screen. You set the defaults when you start a campaign, by default this is enabled to make things easier for the user.

I'm not sure what you mean, you have movement points so you can only move a certain distance per turn. You can set a location beyond this but it will only move to the maximum of the movement points that turn, it will then continue in the next turn.

I've never seen that happen but it's entirely possible. If you had already built an alternative shrine (or allowed your governor to build it for you) you can't build more than one so the option will no longer be available.

ROME: Total War is much more in depth then your standard simple iOS tactical game so it can take a little longer to get into it. However in your case I'd highly recommend you give it another go trying out the hints above and perhaps watch a bit of of one of the YouTube videos we did one with Creative Assembly just before release going through the initial hour of the game while talking about the game in general :)

I hope this post helps and you give it another go! It's so much fun when you get into it!

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it!

We plan on bringing Barbarian Invasion and Alexander to iPad in the future. As for the rest thanks for your suggestions!

3. Parkingtigers

Parkingtigers Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Not sure if this question was resolved earlier in the thread, but this game still isn't on the Hong Kong store. I've got credit on my account, and a compulsion to buy all big iPad strategy games that get ported over. Flinging money at the screen here lads, flip that switch and let me buy your game yo.

People here spitballing RTS games they'd like to see ported. Cossacks and/or Blitzkrieg (from the same devs) would be my choice. New Cossacks in the works apparently. That game had gorgeous battle lines of troops in formation smashing into each other, I had major happy memories of my time with it.

4. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    For licensing reasons the game is not available on the China, Hong Kong or Taiwan stores. We'll let you know if this changes in the future.

5. AlexBi

AlexBi Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Thank for your time Edddeducck...

Which graphic differences are between pro 12.9, pro 9.7, air 2 and air?
    And excepted this differences the game is the same or newer ipad can manage greater maps and more units than older?
    (my doubt is because i own an Air 2 :) )

Thank you again

6. coxy

coxy Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2011
    England
    How do you make your archers use melee?

In the PC version I think you hold down shift when you click an enemy - the icon changes to a sword.

7. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    When dragging your finger from the unit to the enemy it will give you an option for primary or secondary attack mode.

8. gabed-em

gabed-em Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2015
    I understand why the battles would need modern devices, but is there any reason why the campaign map wouldn't run on ipad 3 or 4?

The campaign is definitely less intensive and I'd happily miss out on battles if it meant playing the campaign mobile

9. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    Thanks for the suggestion, I enjoy playing the campaign mode as well but removing the 3D battles completely would remove a large part of the game which would be pretty misleading and confusing for users so it's not really a viable option.

Also the iPad 3 and 4 are a lot less powerful so it's likely there will be severe slowdowns and issues with some tasks like end turns when playing on these devices once you progress deeper into the campaign.

10. Diegan

Diegan Active Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Question: when I select a ship that has soldiers in it, how can I see them? Is there any color or marker that shows me which ships are empty and which are carrying an army?

11. AlexBi

AlexBi Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015

Excuse me if i insist... But the game is the same on different devices? (Air, Air 2, Equivalent Mini, Pro 9.7 and pro 12.9)?
    There are some graphical differences?
    Different amount of Ram between devices has some influence on gameplay (or in the ability to load bigger maps)?
    Thank you again and sorry for insistence. I have an Air 2 and i'm interested before buying. :)

12. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    #132 edddeduck_feral, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    The game is the same and has the same maps and features on all models of iPad however the older devices will have lower graphical options and lower unit sizes to ensure performance. However none of these effect the gameplay. Your model is the medium settings so it will look nicer than the older iPad Air 1 machines but doesn't have some of the larger unit sizes the new iPad Pro can support.

As mentioned earlier in this thread the unit sizes are as follows:

iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air - 20 men
    iPad Mini 4 & iPad Air 2 - 40 men
    iPad Pro (both sizes) - 80 men

13. AlexBi

AlexBi Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Thank you

14. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Alex the game is actually really good!

15. AlexBi

AlexBi Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Thank you.
    I'll buy soon. I'm trying to apply the rule: "before buy find the time for playing" but i'm not a good follower of my rule :D

16. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    You won't regret it. I love the historical battles theme too a quick one before bed. Enjoy conquering the known world. I hope TA finally reviews this gem too

17. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    The game (original and iPad) doesn't have a way of differentiating, you need to tap on the ship to view the troops inside. However that does sound like something we could look at adding to the game in a future update.

Thanks for the question and for playing Rome!

18. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016
    Agree, the ipad really is the perfect device for this kind of game as with the OS being instant on and the app doing such a good job of instant saving when you close the app, and pausing when you hibernate the screen, im finding im actually spending a huge amount more time playing this than I am Warhammer: total war on my PC just because its so easy to dip and and dip out when you have a spare 10-15 mins, but if youll let it hours will just flow by without you realizing, I had the shortest 2 hour flight to italy last weekend playing it :)

19. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Yeah I catch myself like that too. My train commute is approx 1.30 each way. This makes riding a lot easier. Especially with grim winter just around the corner. I also like that it's long enough. That why I love FF games because they take so much time to beat. This game is great

20. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    TA where is the review for this game?