Universal ROME: Total War (By Feral Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Darrell999

Darrell999 New Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Thank you, Talbs!

2. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    I have not been able to put this game down! I'm slowly taking over the barbarian Gaul lands! For Rome! Honestly love this game! Guys please port medival 2

3. Mutantmeteor

Mutantmeteor New Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Unlock new factions

Silly question but I have unlocked all factions in the game settings but how do play a campaign with them. On new game the only option for campaign is the imperial one with the three Roman factions.

I really want to start a campaign using one of the other playable factions ?

4. hippiesrlame

hippiesrlame Active Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Had the same problem. Force closed the app from memory after changing setting and opened it back up and that fixed it for me.

5. sander454

sander454 New Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Hi there,

I bought it on my iPad Air 2 however as soon as I start playing I noticed that number of soldiers in my units are very small - 40 to be precise in infantry and javelin and 13 in cavalry. Is there any way of increasing it, or they are hardcoded?
    TBH if I can't change it then I'll probably request refund as the game won't be playable for me with such a small armies

6. Amesiu

Amesiu Member

Feb 3, 2016
    It it small possibility to come to China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Korea? Please please please let it come here too^^;

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks for your kind reply. I just got it from JP store.

8. AppWhore

AppWhore Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Just so you have an answer, though it isn't complete: you can bring up Romeshell somehow which lets you put in commands to change all(?) settings to whatever you want.
    Not sure how to bring it up in ios, I think it's mentioned in this thread somewhere and I've seen it on YouTube (sry can't find it).

Here's a list of the commands, just missing how to bring it up in iOS which might be in the menu, can't check atm.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/589390-rome-total-war/cheats

9. edddeduck_feral

edddeduck_feral Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2016
    The game has been optimised for the iPad model you are using. Increasing unit sizes would impact the performance of the game, so this is not given as an option in order to preserve the best gameplay experience.

To explain in greater detail, the troop sizes are based on the specifications of the iPad you are using. Units take up a large amount of resources, so larger unit sizes can't be used on some iPads due to their slightly lower memory.

By locking the settings depending on the iPad model we have ensured that you get a good experience no matter which iPad you own.

Below are a list of the units sizes for the different devices.

iPad Mini 2 & iPad Air - 20 men
    iPad Mini 4 & iPad Air 2 - 40 men
    iPad Pro (both sizes) - 80 men

As a side note, please be aware that unit size is mainly cosmetic and does not affect the progression of the game.

10. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    Thanks for the request. You do know that Deus Ex Go exists? It's a load of fun I've been playing it myself :)

11. mitch8402

mitch8402 New Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Issue with dragging to attack

I registered to ask a quick question. When I drag my hastati to attack a unit, they seem to hesitate to attack by attempting to change their formation first, then attacking. This happened when I chose a single unit to charge an enemy using the melee attack option by dragging my finger. My units actually turned around, formed up facing the wrong way then paused for a few seconds, and finally turned around and charged. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

12. hippiesrlame

hippiesrlame Active Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Ah, gotcha. It's been so long since Rome came out I think I must have started to take it for granted and assumed it had always been there.

13. dirtschmooz

dirtschmooz Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2015
    battery killer too. anything can be done to improve?

14. shodanng

shodanng Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #94 shodanng, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    Normally for all battery killer,
    turn on the airplane mode and lower down the brightness.

15. chitty007

chitty007 Active Member

Jan 17, 2013
    I love this game. The only issues for me are how much it drains battery life (to be expected) and the card colors for units which can make selecting and deselecting a bit tricky.

Overall it's just awesome

16. Jlm70

Jlm70 New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Must have strategy game...

...still it would be nice if the developers:
    - improve graphics, at least for more powerful devices, such as the latest ipad pros.
    - reduce a bit battery drainage.

17. shodanng

shodanng Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    But improve graphics mean drain battery faster.

18. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    If your finger gesture starts just behind your unit you might draw a line that makes the troops think they need to go backwards a little before charging.

However this does sound like something we'd like to get some more details from you about. If you can contact our support either via the in game support or via email on our support site (http://support.feralinteractive.com) we can talk some more about your exact reproduction steps.

The graphics are already higher on the pro compared to the older iPads with some graphics settings set to higher levels and large unit sizes for troops. However this is an extremely complex title that can make even the latest PC run slowly on the highest settings so you have to balance graphics and performance to give the best experience. It might be possible to push the settings some more in the future due to improved iOS features and new hardware but the game is already pushing the iPad to it's full potential. This is one of the reasons it uses more battery as to run this game you need to have it working very hard on both the CPU and GPU sides.

There was a very basic feature with some unit highlights in Rome but nothing as complex/useful as the latest games in the series. However as mentioned we're certainly looking into how we could perhaps add this in as a feature in the future.

19. Admiralbison

Admiralbison Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    I definitely agree it pushes even the iPad Pro pretty hard.
    It's an RTS game with lots of units and action going on and I guess some behind the scenes process as well.

The graphics, at least on the iPad Pro 12.9 for me, is fairly impressive considering what else is going on...but yeah the iPad Pro gets warm at the back and that's the first time the beast has had to go through its paces.
    :)

Yes, it uses power but that's to be expected so I play the game sparingly when out in the field all day, and play at least a couple hours a day when home/work since I near powersources.

I expect next years iPad's will have more graphics power and atleast the same or slightly more battery power.

imagine playing this game on (rumored) bezzeless iPads/iPhones.

20. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Soooo, any impressions on iPad Mini 2? In terms of screen size and performance?