Universal ROME: Total War (By Feral Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Shyning

Shyning Member

May 17, 2015
    Hey there, is there any kind of multiplayer?

2. edddeduck_feral

edddeduck_feral Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2016
    The game is purely a single player experience right now.

3. kuluman

kuluman Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Woke up this morning, hit the Buy button and went to work while it was downloading. Can't wait to get back and start playing!:D

4. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    That's a shame, I'm jailbroken on 8.3 and really reluctant to lose the functionality/flexibility as I use my iPad for work. Any intentions to reduce iOS requirements or is it just not an option?

5. jith_feral

jith_feral Active Member

We can only support 9.3.5 upwards. If that changes we'll let you know!

6. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The only thing with that didn't the world map use to have a time limit? So you couldn't play it indefinitely?

Always makes me think of a lotr game with war of the ring mode with a large map and you could build up the map and keep troops between battles with them levelling up

7. Shyning

Shyning Member

May 17, 2015
    ## damn

8. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    Those options are exactly the same as the original.

I think you're thinking of Short Campaign (also on iPad see screenshot) which limits the number of turns you had to get to total victory. :D

9. chronosz

chronosz Well-Known Member

May 24, 2016
    Never played a total war game before, is it hard to learn?

10. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    It's pretty easy to pick up if you've played strategy games before and there are loads of guides on the internet as this is the same game as the original Windows/Mac game.

I'd watch a few videos which should give you an idea of how it all works.

Controls - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXUZeUdtqp8
    Quick demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiaxO4ZEiOo
    Stream with CA - https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial/v/100028349?t=05m28s (The first 5 mins had bit of a microphone issue so I skipped to 5 mins in)

11. chronosz

chronosz Well-Known Member

May 24, 2016
    Thanks for the info edddeduck. Bought #

12. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Thank you team for bringing such an awesome game! Really enjoying this on my iPad 12.9! I'm using the pencil to do my battles so far. I hope down the road we can see Medival 2

13. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    Thanks for the kind words! We worked really hard on making this game work really well on iPad without missing any features from the original. Reading comments from people like you who are really enjoying playing really makes all the effort worthwhile.

Here's a couple of cool tips for you ;)

You can use all the Rome shell cheats from the Windows/Mac version if you want! Just hold down your fingers in the top left and right of the screen and the shell will appear! There are many lists on the internet but try: showmethemoney which is a special iPad only code that can be helpful in campaigns. :)

You can also unlock all the factions from the start by using the "Unlock all Factions" option found inside iOS Settings App in the Rome section.

Have fun taking over the known world!:D

14. hippiesrlame

hippiesrlame Active Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Really enjoying this. Controls work really well. It's clear a lot of effort was put into this port. The one thing I cannot seem to figure out is if there is anyway to preview the army's movements. I believe this was mapped to the space bar in the PC. You held it down to see the final unit positions.

15. PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG Active Member

Dec 16, 2010
    So I came home and downloaded it and absolutely loving it. It's a bit slower to play on the iPad and I miss my mouse but it's definitely got the whole game in there. The console works too.

Haven't tried show me the money but I am sure it will be exciting :)

Glad to know the developer has thought of the fans who may have played this for over a 1000 hours and just want to get into it again without the handholding.

The pencil idea mentioned above is just killer. Don't know why I didn't think of it before. It's absolutely genius and allows me to rest the iPad on my lap and play casually.

Well done Feral!

16. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    Rome didn't have a full preview movement mode like later games in the series but your request is actually something we're looking into that would be a "nice to add" in the future. However as with all additions it needs to be looked into and thought through so it works well and intuitively.

I'm glad you're enjoying the game and thanks for the feedback :)

17. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    #58 currymutton, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    @edddeduck_feral

Hello, can you tell me why it is not in HK store yet?

It is in US, it is in JP, but not HK?!

18. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    #59 Talbs, Nov 11, 2016
    If we're on the topic of improvements that weren't in the base game, I have a pie in the sky suggestion. You can totally disregard if you want.

I just think there could be room for improvement of identifying your units on the battlefield. The battlefield requires all sorts of zooming back and forward just to see where your archers are, and just to confirm that they are actually firing off arrows like you told them to (archers just being my example here). I often have to go from full zoom out, to scroll scroll scroll , zoom, zoom, to check on say the archers. I know there's tabs of the units down in the lower left, but if you select one unit, and then select another, they end up both being selected so you don't know what's what and where.
    An easily visible flyer symbol above each unit on the field could be useful for quickly scoping the park and telling yourself yes the archers are on the left and yes the spearmen are on the right, I don't need to go OCD on zooming to double check everyone made it into their position. And that could be extended to show a symbol of what that unit is currently doing, so you could confirm that yes, the archers are attacking.

And then, in addition, talking about the unit tabs down in the bottom left, I find that the white highlight to indicate selected unit is so marginal over the none selected (no highlight) status, that it requires a double take of your eyesight sort of. Perhaps a stronger highlight (maybe even a colour like yellow or green) but one that doesn't impare the visibility of the unit numbers displayed on the tab though. Just overall I feel there could be some quality of life adjustments in terms of easy battlefield scoping.

19. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    #60 mzinn, Nov 11, 2016
    Really enjoying the tutorial so far. Can't wait to get into it further. Looks like I'm going to be loving this!!!

edddeduck_feral
    Small editing note - duplicate word

In the draw to select tutorial screen it says "Draw around around a group of your units"