Universal ROME: Total War (By Feral Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 10, 2016.

1. stelph

stelph Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 16, 2016

Assume you're Julli - have you checked everywhere on the map? I find that they can spread quite far if its taken you a while to get across all of Gaul, a few times I found them all the way across into Russia!

2. candyjet

candyjet Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Thanks for the quick reply. It has taken a while, so they must be hiding. What is the quickest way to find them, army, spy, diplomat, assassin, boats or a combination?

Cheers

CJ

3. shaun4000

shaun4000 Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Portsmouth
    Not sure if I’m being a bit of a spaz but I downloaded the original version on iPad, looking on my iPhone it’s saying I have to pay again? Is anyone else having this problem?

4. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
  5. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Oh man, now this is a game I can get behind :). Sure do love this series. About to kill a lot of time!

6. leokamiya

leokamiya Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2017
    I thought I read somewhere that there was cross save between iPad and iPhone. How can I enable it?

7. edddeduck_feral

edddeduck_feral Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2016
    As long as you use iCloud and both devices are online this will work automatically. If you have any questions or issues you can email Feral Support using the in game help menus we can assist.

leokamiya likes this.
  8. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Okay so due to the lack of first impressions and reviews, I dived into Rome: Total War for iPhone yesterday and I gotta say, the port is a masterpiece! It’s brilliantly done. Feral Interactive have done no harm to one of the best RTS in history. Hats off to them. Right from the get go you’ll notice the amount of love and effort Feral have put into it. It’s commendable. Everytime I pick and play the game, I am amazed by how they could bring such a complicated and technical RTS to mobile. The risks that they have taken with the UI and the innovative touch controls work seamlessly. (But does take a bit of getting used to) And to top that, the game is very well optimized. No heating issues or heavy battery drain. One minor hiccup which I am sure can be fixed with an update - the screen orientation can’t be changed of the game. But even then, simply put, Feral Interactive have nailed it! (Playing on iPhone X - FW 11.4.1)

9. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Allright, even though i don't play these types of games i will pick thius up down the road for support to Feral, since you could fit this in the iphones i wanna see what else you got for us in the future ( i am only dragging my ipad around for Darkest Dungeon during vacation).
    And perhaps a stupid question, when i decide to give it a go, even though it sais ROME, would Greece be playable at all?

10. Koemi Bear

Koemi Bear Active Member
    Patreon Gold

Oct 25, 2017
    Female
    United States
    Yes Greece is a playable faction, though you have to unlock them. If you go into settings on your iPhone/iPad, scroll to Rome Total War, you can check off a box to unlock all factions of the game. :)

ramzarules likes this.
  11. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Thanks! it looks like i wont be buying it only for support, who knows it might even make me wanna play total war games :)

12. Koemi Bear

Koemi Bear Active Member
    Patreon Gold

Oct 25, 2017
    Female
    United States
    It will be your first total war game?? That is wonderful to hear, Rome Total War is arguably the most popular title in the series. I hope that you enjoy it, one of the best grand strategy games (series) available.

ramzarules likes this.
  13. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    I liked the medieval war ones more... hope they bring them to iOS/iPhone

Koemi Bear likes this.
  14. Vinners

Vinners Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Bought it a couple of hours ago, and so far so good :) It feels kinda strange to play it without a mouse, i constantly feel the need to take my hand off my phone to grab a mouse before remembering that it is a touchscreen...

One question though: How do I position a unit in a certain way? On PC, you clicked on a unit and then rightclick-dragged the unit into a certain position. I'm on a iPhone SE if that matters.

15. Koemi Bear

Koemi Bear Active Member
    Patreon Gold

Oct 25, 2017
    Female
    United States
    Line them up? Use two fingers and slide. :p

I would absolutely love if they brought Medieval II to iOS. <3

16. Aerys

Aerys Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    Has someone tried it on iPhone 6S? I would love to play it but am a little afraid that the screen might be too small and hardware to weak. Thanks for any reply.

17. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    #257 edddeduck_feral, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    First thanks for the glowing feedback it’s great to hear that you’re really enjoying the game.

Regarding orientation you can rotate any phone or iPad apart from the iPhone X. The iPhone X has the notch which sticks into the gameplay area. By locking the orientation it allows us to make sure the UI works perfectly and doesn’t need to change depending on how you’re holding the phone.

For example news info flows down the right side of the screen if the notch was there it would get slightly covered by the notch so we’d need to move it to the left or move it further into the screen.

We wanted to make sure the iPhone X experience was as great as possible so by locking the orientation it allowed us to customise the UI for the iPhone X compared to the other phones to make sure we deal with the corners and the notch while also taking advantage of the extra width the screen has.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us via the built in support.

Rocksaint likes this.
  18. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Ah okay. Yeah, that makes sense. The notch would indeed block off the news panel flow and moving them just for one series of device would require a lot of rework just for that device. So, I guess it's better this way. Thanks for the clarification.

lezrock likes this.
  19. Vinners

Vinners Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Ah great! It appears that you need to press the unit and then press and hold for a second with 2 fingers on the location where you want the unit. When the fingerpresses become purple, you can position the unit.

@Feral: Perhaps add it to the tutorial?

20. edddeduck_feral

Nov 10, 2016
    The iPhone 6S is supported and will run the game just fine in terms of performance. In fact this game supports phones as old as the iPhone 5S.
    It’s part of the first time help when you start a battle. Did you disabled that feature or did you miss it?

The help is pretty deep with many screens as there is a lot to explain but do let me know if you had First Time help on or off. We also have YouTube videos showing off all the battle controls.

Thanks for the feedback it’s appreciated I’ve added it to the pile of comments I’ve collected from all the AppStore reviews and forum posts so we can see what improvements we can look at adding into the next update.