Universal ROMANCING SAGA 2 (By SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 26, 2016.

1. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    How do you switch out teams?

2. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Combat is turn-based but doesn't have the ATB system in the FF games. You select all commands at once and the enemies select theirs.

You can equip up to four different weapons (as well as just punch enemies if you want --speaking of which has some enormously powerful skills if you choose to level up martial abilities--), and when you use each weapon you have a small chance to unlock a powerful new skill. Some characters have magic (it's innate) so when you cast spells you also have a chance to gain more powerful magic.

Enemies can one-shot you. After the battle is over you gain back all your HP (not your SP though --skill points--) and if you die you permanently lose one LP (life point), which if you lose all of them (you usually start with ten life points) that character dies permanently. You can purchase an expensive potion which restores LP later.

The story is mostly non-linear (you can go where you want or do what you want) but is very similar to Infinity Blade, in that you basically keep dying and raising new heroes until you defeat all of the seven big baddies. I can't speak to specifics but the SaGa universe is incredibly richly layered in lore and this one is no exception. I would argue the SaGa universe is even more sense than the FF series as well as being more accessible, as they are constantly taking well-known tropes and making you rethink what you thought.

For example, the god of gods is a bard who goes around taverns singing songs about your exploits, the original heroes who saved the world end up becoming demons you need to take down, and you are the leader of an empire trying to take over the world (so that you are powerful enough to defeat the fallen heroes).

The plot progresses through scenarios, and like other SaGa games the scenarios are both self-contained stories as well as connected to the overarching storyline of righting the wrong commited upon your family.

You complete stories to unlock more stories (or choose not to). If you complete stories you actually change the story. I can't speak to the extent (I haven't gotten that far), but it does affect the heroes you can have in your party and the stories they themselves are part of.

Hope that helped!

3. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Fair warning: do *not* grind in this game. The difficulty rises as you win battles, and it doesn't care if those battles are against weak enemies or strong. If you grind, you *will* put yourself into a near-unwinnable state. You're never meant to be strong enough to kick enemies around. It's not how the game was built.

4. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    My ranger has 1 LP left how do I take her out. Also should I be avoiding some monsters??? So I don't over grind

5. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Can you explain revenue for me? I'm assuming you gain it per battle, though it isn't stated. If so, how do you manage resources to build items vs research without grinding.

6. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    You don't take her out. When she dies you go to the castle and find a replacement for her. You can pick another ranger or one of many other classes if you wish.

7. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    If I choose another ranger do I lose all the abilities I had with my current one?

8. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    The seem to hold pretty similar though I can't promise it won't change at all. After a certain point in the game you can learn abilities for different weapons for any character by speaking to a guy in the castle.

9. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Combat doesn't seem... Great to me but the story stuff seems interest-'don't grind'. Wat. So... How do I know if I'm an ok level? Do I just fight any battle I go into or what?

10. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Your characters don't have levels in the normal sense. You receive skill points after a battle and after a bit your characters gain HP. Don't ask me how many, there's literally no information as to when it goes up. Using weapons of different types will level them up as well as unlocking skills for them. I believe this is why there's a New Game+ option, though that's just an assumption. The game is different from a standard RPG but hits all the right spots for me.

11. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    In the throne room there are a couple guys that tell you your total amount of crowns owned and how much you earn per battle. Not sure about the other stuff yet.

12. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    It was the "per battle" part I was unsure of. It states revenue but I didn't see it say per battle. Regardless, thanks!

13. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    The I suppose my question is, how often should you fivht? Fight only the enemies that attack you or what?

14. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Pretty much every enemy attacks you if you walk just in the general area next to them. I find it extremely hard to even attempt to outrun enemies since you'll just run into another enemy and break formation. That's why I don't worry about the "don't grind" part. Because it's going to be more work not grinding because you'll just be putting yourself at a disadvantage with broken formations if you fail. AND last point is that the more you battle the more likely you will learn better skills which will put you at a better advantage regardless of level.

15. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Is there a research and development place in Avalon???

16. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Try sitting on the throne, it sometimes triggers events to develop things. There's also a weapon and armor research outside the castle. However, they only sometimes offer new items to be developed. I also haven't figured out where they go up for sale, other than receiving the first item of the type as a prototype.

17. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Thanks

18. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    If you only fight the battles that you come across naturally, you'll be fine. Just don't do extra grinding.

19. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    For anyone interested, mfi controllers are not really supported. It will move the cursor but you can't select anything

20. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Everyone on the forum thank you for suggesting this game and pushing me to get it's great and a nice fit to my FF games.