Universal ROMANCING SAGA 2 (By SQUARE ENIX INC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 26, 2016.

1. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Is this game kinda like FFT???

2. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Not for me. More just Final Fantasy, but different. I like it better, and I've played most of them. * runs away

3. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    This game is hard. It's definitely a different standard and I have to remind myself that I have to expect to lose characters throughout, as I'm not use to monsters one shotting me. I decided to try to over level in an area and it seemed like different, harder monsters showed up. I'm enjoying this, without a doubt though. Definitely worth the price, as it's a real challenge, which is hard to find anymore.

4. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    So this means that mobs auto-level to meet your level? If so, not buying, as I like to grind and suddenly feel all powerfull. I might be missing out, but that is what makes other RPGs great to me. :confused:

5. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    #65 Yerti1, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
    Truthfully I don't know. However, you are meant to die and carry on. The short game of the week review, posted just a little bit ago, tells you that you shouldn't get attached to characters, and I understand why. However, judge this one for what it is, a difficult RPG with tons of replay potential. It even has a New Game+ option, which means it's meant for restarting, with benefits. I am primarily a RPG player, and I wouldn't pass this one up.

EDIT: after playing some more I would say enemies do not scale. Being over powered is possible, but it's still not easy.

6. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    So what is the penalty for losing a character to LP? Obviously you will not be able to use that specific skin / named person anymore but what else do you lose? Do you have to get a replacement that has lower stats? You lose learned abilities that the character had (so if you built up a lot of good skills you'd have to hope you can relearn them again)? Is it possible to keep one character alive forever or is that impossible?

I'm just wondering if I should let the people die, die, or retry the dungeon and try to keep them alive. If there's no true penalty, I would feel better and not worry so much.

Thanks to anyone that can help out!

7. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    I don't know about common characters, but your "heir" inherents the abilities of the previous generation. I would hope that standard characters are the same, and I've read that by having different classes you unlock more people. I'd just play, and if you die, you find out. This game has very little in the way of explaining anything to you. But it's old school, and that's how it use to work all the time.

8. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    So, probably a dumb question, but how can I find the current hp/total hp for a character? Or do all characters begin each battle with their total/max hp and we only have to worry about healing if they get close to 0 (similar to Chaos Rings)? Or do they have a max HP that we can never see, only showing us the current HP?

I'm sure many of us are more accustomed to the current/max HP display, right?

9. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    #69 Yerti1, May 28, 2016
    HP is full for every fight, MP and SP have to be recovered with items or resting. To check max HP it's in the menu or at the beginning of every fight. While fighting, if your HP drops to a critical level it'll turn orange.

EDIT: I do wish a current/max hp system was used during battle. I don't think I've used a single healing item yet, so I don't know if it'll show that way.

10. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    #70 curtisrshideler, May 28, 2016
    Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I've been a little reckless in a few battles and lost a few LP of my archer. Sure wish I could buy something to regain LP. But I guess that's the nature of the beast. Definitely makes me save more often and it's making me a little more cautious.

11. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I've gotten pretty far and haven't died yet with my 1st heir. (Mage/Sword hybrid) I always bring a tank, greatswords user, archer, then I have a short sword user.

12. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    #72 nkx, May 28, 2016
    Please provide full detail of your team. I have caved in and bought this I pray I do not regret it

13. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    While we wait for Shaun's review, those who want to know about this game can read this article/review I found: https://www.rpgamer.com/games/saga/rs2/reviews/romasaga2-strev.html

In very few words, RS2, compared to FF, focuses much more on the battles and strategies used, and less on the story. From what I've read, this doesn't mean that the story is bland, just not as deep as in the FF series.

What I really like is the various paths the story can take, which really forces you to a new game+ to see things you haven't seen in the first playthrough, or make different decisions to see their alternative outcome. I like it a lot, and I feel it's better suited for mobile than FF games.

14. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Guys thank you for convincing me to get this game was expensive in the Canadian App Store been playing this for six hours it's actually awesome! Took me a while to figure things out and still figuring out things but the game is really good. Anyone who is on the fence should get this.

15. oldman23

oldman23 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2016
    Trying to decide to get this or chaos rings 3

16. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Both are really great games. I tired of CR3 because the grinding gets repetitive after awhile, however, I sunk so many hours into it it's ridiculous.

This game pushes me differently than most RPGs due to the difficulty level. Every battle in this game feels like a victory and every boss fight feels earned. It's hard to say that about many games.

In the end, you'll probably be happy with either purchase. It's hard for me to determine for sure as I'm not very far into this game, but it's great regardless.

17. oldman23

oldman23 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2016
  18. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    Two questions that if anyone could answer is greatly appreciate. First, how's the combat? I want to like FF but it's combat has, besides 10-2, mostly been bland (choose powerful spell. Spam powerful spell. Heal). Stuff like radiant historia, persona, even Hyperdimension Neptunia (hate that game but still has an ok combat system) are better IMO. So is this better or is it typical FF fare? Second, how's the story? I saw your character can die and the story progresses but is it good or does the combat make the game great and the story not so much

19. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #79 L.Lawliet, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Both but I've told everyone that CR3 imo is the best mobile original RPG out there. Lots of content, hundreds of monster cards to collect, great features, beautiful graphics /music and made perfectly to be played on the go. Also has some very very famous Japanese voice actors (though a fair amount of the game isn't voiced). To top it off it has a second battle arena mode where you can just fight different types of monsters and also changing rewards every month, for cosmetic weapons and outfits. There is no way I would pass up recommending CR3.

I do disagree about the other commenter's grinding assessment because it has about just as much grinding as any other RPG (actually probably less grinding since the bosses are in general VERY easy for an RPG vet). Grinding is mainly for the secret hard bosses in the dungeon mode - which is to be expected.

Btw Romancing Saga 2 is very good. I love strategizing in battle and it though it's tough, it feels very easy to pick up and play anywhere since I can save at leisure.

20. curtisrshideler

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    #80 curtisrshideler, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    I'd probably suggest Chaos Rings III over this, but that's not because of anything against this game. I just really enjoy CR3. So much content and different modes, and seasonal-exclusive content. It's massive for mobile.

RS2 is fantastic so far. A nice challenge. So if you're in the mood for more of a challenging old-school kind of game, then RS2 might hit the stop for you. But CR3 has a much more pseudo-console feel to it. But definitely made for mobile.

And thankfully, they both seem to be pretty easy on the battery of my device.