Universal Roller Girls (by Marco Albores)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by reikos, Aug 10, 2015.

1. alburio

alburio Member

Aug 12, 2015
    student
    Guatemala
    played it yesterday. story looks promising, nice art. just having a little problems while jumping in front of stuff...

2. reikos

reikos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2015
    it admin
    mexico
    just save your stamina for when you really need it, curves are a good spot to pass your opponents, strike em out of balance (just don't abuse of this because they will get angry and will hit you more often).

3. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Thanks for the promo code. I really enjoy the game...but I don't like the controls. They are just awkward with all the swiping. And directional pad or virtual joystick would be soooo much better. But I do love the game.

4. reikos

reikos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2015
    it admin
    mexico
    thanks bro, im seriously considering this virtual pad thing..

i like the swiping because of it gives the game a tactile feel a v-pad can't, and when you really need to swipe fast, you'll get tired, just like the game character that will deplete his stamina. i think that while this may create frustration, it also can create some really emotive moments.

5. reikos

reikos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2015
    it admin
    mexico
    glad you like it. have you figured it out yet? what stage are you into?

6. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I was able to dig into this a little this week. So far I'm really liking it. The artwork is good and love the story. It reminds me of the old XGames game on the Commador 64 back in the day. I'll give better impressions once I finish the game, but so far, so good!

7. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Once you get the hang of skating it gets pretty fun. It's not like twitch gameplay but it's a cool game and nice to see Roller Derby Girls getting some much needed attention.

8. Kedens

Kedens Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Graphic Design/Illustration
    Rochester, NY
    This game is beyond a shock to me. I love it .... So worth the entry fee and then some.. Caught me off guard but I hope this gets the recognition it deserves. Awesome game!

9. reikos

reikos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2015
    it admin
    mexico
    Thanks for the review NOEN! And i will be very happy if you complete the game! it makes me sad to think that nobody ever will see the game ending.

about XGames, i haven't played that one... commodores didn't where very popular in Mexico, One of my inspirations is an 80s arcade beatemup named DJ Boy (by American Sammy), that where also on skates.

10. reikos

reikos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2015
    it admin
    mexico
    WOW, thanks a lot bro, seeing some people really enjoy the game makes the hard work worth it! Now i just need to sell it about 8,000 times :D

11. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Great game! It took a little to get used to the controls at first until you realize that the physics of the game is real...

It's all about recognizing that you are skating and can also glide not always try to move etc... My phone died on my long flight home so I need to play this more!!!

12. reikos

reikos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2015
    it admin
    mexico
    thats exactly what i should say to new users! i will use this in the game description, thanks dude!

13. deathprog23

deathprog23 Member

Dec 26, 2014
    I finished this the other day finally and it was super-satisfying! What a great journey. Some spots were too difficult I felt (crossing roads, pits) and the Derbies were too easy, but overall I had a total blast with this - and the soundtrack is amazing! Thanks for making it :)

14. reikos

reikos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2015
    it admin
    mexico
    Dude, you made my day! and my next day! i won't quit this game dev thing either until i can beat the crap out of it!

just released an update to address this difficulty issues :cool:

15. reikos

reikos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2015
    it admin
    mexico
  16. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Here are my thoughts after playing the update :

Positive : 1) you can tell this game was made with heart. There is a plot and its weird/funny, including bribing girls to join your roller gang with spicy mexican food, one of them a lesbian and another a nerd.
    2) The graphics are charming and the music does the job 3) There are two game modes that i can see, a side scrolling jumper and an arena racing tournament

Suggestions :
    1) For the side scroller mode, the jumps feel way too "floaty" imo, she needs to jump faster and land faster, not like she is in low-gravity. See successful jumps of other scrollers, like Goblin Sword, Devious dungeon etc. Also, some more variety of environments, "enemies" and some tricks/grinds would go a long way to improve the game

2) In the tournament, a V-stick control would be much better than the 4 direction buttons. Also some minor details, like a circle under your character, or more flashy interaction with punches and elbows would be awesome.

I don't know if you want / can implement any of my suggestions, but it is certainly a very fun game, with great art and music, just waiting to be spiced up in the gameplay! Wish you all the best :)

17. reikos

reikos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2015
    it admin
    mexico
    Thanks mr.!

Im glad you liked the game. Be sure i will apply two or more of your sugestions, let me check those game references, i guess making the jumps tighter would add up to the feeling of speed. initially i programed a vstick for the game, but i opted for the directional buttons for something is not very apparent: you can tap the directional button repeatedly to get a speed bump at the expense of your stamina, guess i need to tell this to the player...

18. TheNiceMan

TheNiceMan Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2015
    4+/5

Really addictive. Mostly i'm playing logic games but that one have this "thing". thansk for code!

19. reikos

reikos Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2015
    it admin
    mexico
    thanks for your comments nice man!

20. Ty-Ty2020

Ty-Ty2020 Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2015
    So I haven't quite delved into this a ton but here are my imps so far:
    Pros:
    Amazing artwork
    Great soundtrack
    Once you get used to them, fluid controls
    I love the story
    Plenty of content

Cons:
    I don't know if it's on purpose but there are some grammar mistakes like lower case i's and such. It doesn't bug me that much
    Once or twice a bit of a delayed jump

Otherwise this is a very great game. The love and heart poured into this is obvious
    8/10