Rolando vs Hero of Sparta

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lordofbbq, Jan 21, 2009.

?

Rolando or Hero of Sparta?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2009.
  1. Rolando

26 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. Hero of Sparta

32 vote(s)
    55.2%
  1. RedStaR

RedStaR Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    If all you can say against it's replayability is that "the weapons don't even come with their own focus kills" then we are done here.

I would like to hear why you think Rolando has replay, because all you said was HoS doesn't.

2. Nicarolina

Nicarolina Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    I have hero of sparta...

it is a great game and the levels take a while to get through, and you can replay them to create a dominant weapon, hahahahahaha

3. CBraun53

CBraun53 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    He never said that Rolando had replay value. He simply said that he was shocked to see so many people saying that HoS has lots of replay value. The one has nothing to do with the other. He wasn't answering lordofbbq's question, he was simply stating his opinion on others' opinions.

4. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009

yeah no $hit......

I'm simply asking his opinion on the replay value of Rolando. given his views on HoS I'd like to hear them.

I never said he was comparing. He just never followed up he just said he hasn't finished yet.

5. CBraun53

Jul 14, 2008
    Not to get in an argument about this... but when you say:

it sounds like you are assuming he thinks Rolando has replay value. Maybe you should rephrase your question and say, "Do you think Rolando has replay value?"

Either way, as you said wildmatt hasn't finished Rolando yet, so it would be hard for him to say whether it has replay value or not. Although I guess he could comment on if he has replayed individual levels or not.

6. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    #26 RedStaR, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    well for me and many others it isn't hard at all to tell wether or not I think a game has replay value before I've finished it or not.
    hero of sparta did that for me, i knew mid way through how much replay it was gonna yeild.

I knew when watching the dark knight that i would be watching it again like halfway through.

so while I understand the "having not finished so how can you tell" logic

I'm sure you understand my "oh yeah i'm gonna be playing this for awhile even after i beat it before i've actually beaten it" logic
    so going by that it's a pefectly reasonable question and assumption to think that he thinks rolando has replay value is not that far from fetched

7. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    I really enjoyed Rolando, but the final boss.....WTF. It still gets my vote though; the other 35 levels are <3!

8. CBraun53

Jul 14, 2008
    #28 CBraun53, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
    Yea, I see what you're saying (about being able to know if you would want to replay a game or not). But, I still think you are assuming he thinks the game has replay value, even though nothing he has said supports that assumption.

9. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009

well yes I assume that he thinks it has replay.....and while he never said speciffically that it doesn't he also never said it does.
    howeve he made a point to say it about HoS.....so that means he either hasn't formed his opinion on rolando yet or he never mentioned it because
    A:it doesn't have replay in which he would have added this to his HoS opinion
    B:it was the only comparisonable app in contrast.
    thats how i formed my assumption, which may have been a little assertive but not far fetched. LOL

no disrespect:) LOL but it's way too deep now

10. Shashwat

Shashwat Active Member

Dec 20, 2008
    I hve bth d games..HOS anyday..Rolando is well made but HOS is like awesome...its gameplay,graphics are vry absorbing..
    I found rolando to b a little monotonous!!
    And if u tkn abt replayability-HOS all the way..

11. tadad1

tadad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Uranus
    For me HOS has a high degree of fun factor and I have played through it twice and still slash my way through a level every now and again. On the other hand I can understand why the King is always asleep in Rolando, got about half way through it and am pretty much bored with it and its now relegated to my last page of apps.

12. RedStaR

Jan 7, 2009
    Rolando:
    Hyped for three months
    fun for almost three minutes

13. wildmatt

wildmatt Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Well Locoroco was exactly the same way and guess what turned me off buying it? The demo, so it's a good thing this game doesn't have a lite version. If you played Locoroco, this is exactly the same thing, because Locoroco was fun for maybe, maybe.... 5 minutes.

14. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    The essence of it is that HoS is a hack-and-slash, and Rolando is a puzzler. If you don't like chopping monsters to pulp, then you shouldn't even consider getting HoS in the first place. So to be considering HoS and Rolando in the first place, you probably enjoy both genres. Now, hack-and-slash games are supposed to be replayable. I've replayed HoS about 10+ times already. But the thing about Rolando, or any objective-based puzzler, is that once you've solved a puzzle, it isn't, well, puzzling, anymore, thus detracting from the fun. But if you like to see little cute balls bouncing and rolling around, there's no reason not to get both. But if you had to choose, I'd say HoS.

15. Last Gatsby

Last Gatsby Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Comments like this confuse the hell out of me. If it's just the tip, then why don't you explain the rest? Surely the more you point out, the better your case.

16. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    I disagree. I think there is replay value to Rolando. Unless you aced all the levels on your first run-through. (gotten all the diamonds and beat the challenge times for each level - the latter being pretty difficult)

17. thinkdontpray

thinkdontpray Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    that doesnt make any sense. after i beat hero of sparta i had no reason to go back and play that either. why? because i already "solved" the game and beat it.

every game is like that. except littlebigplanet, theres the exception to the rule

this poll is the stupidest thing ever. seriously. its like comparing apples and cocks

18. Last Gatsby

Last Gatsby Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    First off, why are you adding little things like "me and many others?" The fact that other people might share your view is irrelevant. Especially when they're nameless and completely absent from this thread.

Second, the logic of, 'halfway through I knew I was going to replay/rewatch' is flawed. What if the end of Dark Knight had supremely blown goats? Since you brought up the movie analogy, I thought the movie Immortal Beloved was a so-so movie most of the way through. The last 15 minutes of that it completely made the movie for me, made it one of my favorites and very rewatchable. Had I snapped to a judgment halfway through, I would have been wrong. 'Why judge something before you've seen it all?' is my point.

That's a whole lot of assuming. So because he said nothing either way you made up some weird twist of logic and came to the conclusion that he thinks Rolando has replay value, without him saying word one on the subject?

He didn't have to comment on both games. He commented on why everyone thought HoS had replay.