Universal Rolando: Royal Edition (by HandCircus)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 2, 2019.

1. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    this. everything is gold with this remastered version and its only flaw is the lack of jump button. im a big fan of the original orlando and just wanna say thanks to handcircus for bringing this beautiful game back to life and even more beautiful than ever. can't wait for the sequel remastered.

2. HandCircus

HandCircus Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    We're about to start beta testing an update which includes the following:
    • iCloud sync for cross-device play
    • Deselection requires a two finger press (to prevent accidental deselection)
    • iPad has move zoomed out camera, to make better use of the screen
    If you're interested in chatting with us about the game, join us on our discord channel here - https://discord.gg/VJygWf8
    And once you've done that you can sign up for the beta here - https://forms.gle/17D4dLXqWKq6LtEC6

Thanks again for your feedback!

Gambler, BrettArchibald, ioso and 2 others like this.
  3. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Guess it'd depend on how this would be implemented - I'm a little unsure how you want to pull it off and if I had to switch between both all of the time it probably would be a bit too much. But if I mainly can use the controller with only having to use touch for certain actions I suppose I's still prefer it to tilt. (Using a Nimbus btw)

4. Corky McButterpants

Corky McButterpants Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    It won't let me post on discord until you join beta... I just wanted to clarify:

What exactly is the obstacle to making jump a single tap of the screen? Are there later mechanics that interfere with this? Swiping up to jump is just (personally speaking) so inexact; timing wise. If I'm missing something I would welcome being put right - it's such a beautifully put together game, I really don't want to refund.
    Cheers guys.

5. HandCircus

Dec 12, 2008
    Tap to jump can work great (it's really tight in Super Mario Run), but it only feels responsive if it's on touch *down* rather than touch *release*. It's fine if you are a pure platformer, but obviously we have a lot of world interaction too. We tried tap to jump when we were remastering, but there are significant drawbacks:
    • Jump on touch-down - feels great but makes the Rolandos jump every time you interact with the world (drag select, drag an object, operate a switch).
    • Jump on touch-release - feels wrong, sluggish, and unresponsive
    The swipe to jump is pretty similar to Oddmar's jump mechanic - curious how you found that to play?

Thanks again - would definitely recommend signing up to the beta, would love to find out if the new beta resolves some of your frustrations.

Corky McButterpants likes this.
  6. HandCircus

Dec 12, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I think it would only work well if the controller was attached to the iPad so the buttons were to the left and right, ala switch (the GameVice controller does this nicely).

7. Corky McButterpants

Corky McButterpants Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    Thank you for clearing that up. I was completely ignoring that you can't have jump and touch. I'm obviously thinking of a dedicated virtual jump button in the corner... but as you say, with all the other interactions needed... you've just crammed too much stuff into one game. ;)

I don't know what Oddmar is but I do remember Pixeljunk's Eden where you used the controller's accelerometer to 'jump' down. I suspect I'm being a clueless non-dev; even if you could use the phone's, I'm sure it would be hella sluggish.

I doubt I'll ever get on with this game, I could live with tilt; but not combined with everything else going on.
    I'm won't refund, out of respect for your obvious efforts to work out the kinks. I guess the takeaway here is it looks terrific on iPad - but really needs to play on a phone. I'd try it on mine, but I recently 'downgraded' to an SE and that's just too damn small for all the manipulations. Between a rock and a hard place. Doh! Best of luck guys, hope it sells scads and scads.
    Cheers.

8. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    I hope this doesn't interfere with the two-finger pinch used to zoom in and out, as I use that VERY frequently?

9. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    FWIW, I think it'd be fine to play on an iPhone SE – I did play the original on the 3GS! – precisely because there aren't any teeny tiny fiddly little buttons hidden in the corners: you can use ANYWHERE on the whole entire screen to interact / control / manipulate the characters and the environment.
    You've already purchased the game, you might as well give it a try...

10. HandCircus

Dec 12, 2008
    Doesn't affect it at all! This stays exactly as-is

Yep, we originally designed for a 1st-gen iPhone and iPod touch, so it works great on the small screen (there was no iPad at the time!). One of our test devices is a 5S (same form as SE) and it's probably my favourite device to play on! Def worth a try, especially with the new iCloud sync ☺️

aussiepaul likes this.
  11. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Ok thanks for clearing that up. You’re right I suppose with the Gamevice switching between touch and controller wouldn‘t be much of an inconvenience.

12. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    #52 BrettArchibald, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    Well, the updated controls that are coming won’t affect me, as I just finished the game! :cool:
    All Rolandos saved, and all diamonds collected. (I skipped the time trials, as I prefer to take my time playing through each level.)
    I just couldn’t put it down! Absolutely amazing game, and although I purchase a ton of games, there’s very few that I actually get round to finishing. So for me, that’s high praise indeed! :D

Now, if we’re talking extra levels coming in that update, or the possibility of a whole new sequel...?

Attached Files:

13. HandCircus

Dec 12, 2008
    Congratulations! So glad you enjoyed it :)

Yep! We're planning on adding the "Secret Levels" from the original release, then hopefully starting to take a look at Rolando 2 :D

14. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Yes! Awesomely great news! :D

15. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    The update is out:
    • Added iCloud sync for cross-device play.
    • Improvements for iPad.
    • Deselect now requires a two-finger tap.
    • Bug fixes and improvements.

aussiepaul and ioso like this.
  16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    *squeals*

17. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    No pressure or anything, but do you have any ETA on this? :D

18. HandCircus

Dec 12, 2008
    Not just yet - we're doing a little evaluation at the moment to plan out work. Hopefully this summer for R2 and a bit before that for secret levels!

ioso and BrettArchibald like this.
  19. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    I'm hoping that there's just a delay on this, and it hasn't been cancelled? :(

20. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    With Rolando having been featured in TouchArcade's "The Best Mobile Games of 2019" list, I'm drawn back here, wondering if anyone knows anything about either the sequel to this, or the bonus secret levels? :(