Rolando for free, NO iTunes card purchase required

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by VoodooVyper, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    #1 VoodooVyper, May 2, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
    ****DEAL IS DEAD****
    You can try your luck still, but the actual promotion ended on 05/02

After hearing about the Rolando promotion, I went to my local Best Buy to pick up a $15 iTunes card and the Rolando card for free. Went up to the register and the associate rang up the Rolando card first and it showed on the screen "$0.00" and then rang up the iTunes card. I asked the associate why this happened and he sort of brushed it off and then I said "do I really even need to buy the iTunes card?" and he said no not really in a quiet tone.
    He also said "don't tell anyone."

So, try it out. Go to your Best Buy and buy ONLY the Rolando card, as it rings up for $0.00. Stereotype the employees at the register and pick the most ignorant looking of all if you can.

Mods, I do not think that posting this is against the rules, as it is merely a loophole.

Btw, this promotion ends Saturday (today).

[​IMG]

Got 5 more:

[​IMG]
    Edit: PLEASE stop spamming my inbox with "can I have a code since you have 6 of them". If that was what I was doing, they'd be long gone by now! I am trading them, please make reasonable offers, not just "I'll give you this terrible $0.99 game for it". Please see the promo exchange group in my profile, and keep promo code trade talk out of the thread.

2. Nate5911

Nate5911 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Rolando isn't worth a trip to Best Buy.

3. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

4. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I ordered mine online....

Think if I return the itunes gift card, would they know/ask for the rolando card back too? lol

5. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    Haha! I already have Rolando but that's a pretty good way of getting it :D

6. Rockey04

Rockey04 Well-Known Member

They have Rolando cards?!?!

Too bad I paid $10 for it...

7. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    There's a fine line here, as this is only a $5 game. Spending the time and gas to go down and deal with the hassle wouldn't be worth it imo, I'd rather just spend the $5. But hey, if you're in the area, why the hell not :D

8. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    They are mailing it to me. No gas required to mail it back....

9. pharmx

pharmx Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Woah...finally someone else who doesn't worship Rolando! I thought I was the only one :(

10. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    So... Are the Rolando Cards available in all locations?
    My friend could use a new game.

11. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    lol.. :cool:

12. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Wait, so you don't need to buy an iTunes card to get the game? The game isn't somehow tied in with the code on the gift card? I do believe the coders at Apple should get crackin', and well, the entire marketing team should be hit repeatedly with an aluminum baseball bat. Luckily for them, not that many people are actually smart :p

13. Zincous

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    No they are not. Call and ask your local best buy. Or order it online.

14. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Dumb move by Apple, but I guess they couldn't do anything about it. The code on the Rolando Card is I believe just a promo code. Do you think Apple was involved in this idea or it was just a deal with ngmoco and Best Buy requesting permission for this promotion?

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Quoted. for. truth.

I'd rather trade that card with $3 or $4 if anyone wants so I can buy better games :p

16. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Apple was definitely involved. The deal is to get people to buy iTunes cards.

17. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    To be honest, I bet they were just given a bunch of Rolando cards to hand out to people to promote the game. It was probably just Best Buy's idea to look at it as a selling tool, make it free when you buy something else.

I work for a company that does that, they sell item X for $30 regularly but for $13.50 when you buy anything in the store. But when you go ring up item X, it'll ring up as $13.50 anyways and will never ring up at $30.

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    That's pretty funny, but I'm sure everybody here would eventually end up spending $15 bucks on iTunes anyway, so might as well keep the card too. Although I guess if you're strapped for cash ATM, and you must play Rolando, then this is pretty cool.

19. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Hmmm... so theoretically you can just walk out with a Rolando card without having to pay anything. Best Buy just saw it as a selling opportunity with their iTunes Gift Cards. Interesting way to get customers to buy, there's not really any other way to put iTunes Gift Cards "On Sale" if you know what I mean. If anyone gets Rolando for free, please tell us. I wanna see if this really works.

20. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    Yea I'm sure a few people will respect this deal and try it out. I wouldn't make a trip out of it unless you really have nothing else to do, or you're already going there for something else.