Rolando: do you think it will drop price?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by teagan1000000, Jan 1, 2009.

1. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    How will you know if it never drops? You could wait three months and it doesn't drop, but right when you buy it 2 hours later it could drop...think about it.

Imo Rolando is worth the price and complaining isn't going to magically lower the price either just so you know.

2. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    my point is that with every one of their games, i was an early adopter and bought each one on the day it came out, only to have the price dropped a week later. im cool with sales but to me, the people supporting them right out of the gate get screwed. there should be some kind if price guarantee for a limited time. if something goes on sale 1 month later, im cool with that too. this time ill just wait until it goes on sale. its more of the principal than the money. it could go on sale for 9 bucks and ill buy it.

3. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I understand others' and your pain too. There is a fact that everyone here seems to ignore. The timing of the price drops has nothing to do with "time" itself AT ALL. The only thing that governs when to drop price is the games ranking on AppStore. Once it goes under the radar or out of top10/25/50/100, then it is time to drop the price.

From the way i see it. Rolando will be on sale soon. It dropped out of top10/25 pretty quickly and is going down fast. Trust me, ngmoco will drop the price soon to improve the rankings.

4. fooled once, shame on them

fooled twice...

yeah

5. wiesse

wiesse Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I am not at all upset that I paid for the early ngmoco:) games. It is fine that they are free/cheaper now. They are worth every cent I paid for them.

6. Silverye

Silverye Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I don't think developers are conning anyone by reducing pricing when the market dictates they need to. Unless they make money from these releases then they won't make future games and they need to do what they can to maximise on their efforts.

It's simple econonics/business folks - hardly that hard to grasp!

I can understand peoples annoyance that a price drop can happen once they've paid the higher price - but if that bothers you too much then just wait for the price drop. If you want to be an early adoptor then buy it early at the higher price.

7. emb531

emb531 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Dude...it was $2 dollars! At most that is what you could have lost....that's half of what most games cost now. And none of them have a 1/4 of the polish and development of ngmoco games. Rolando is amazing and there is no denying that, and it certainly is worth the price. I do not believe the price will drop ever from $9.99, once it begins to fade in the App Store, an update will be released with some cool new stuff that will bring the hype right back up...hopefully at least :D

8. mikec24red

mikec24red Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    yeah, i couldn't wait for a price drop any longer and ended up buying it yesterday

9. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    if i buy something from target and it drops in price in the next 2 weeks, i get to go into the store and get the difference. same principal should apply here. i know its not a lot of money but it's the principal. all these little $1's add up seeing ive already purchased almost $300 worth of apps. id say ive been screwed out of at least $75 dollars. thats a lot of $1 apps.

10. ogindahood

ogindahood Active Member

Dec 26, 2008
    MLG 09
  11. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    This thread is getting really off topic and straying toward another argument about price drops. As for me, I can only hope Rolando will drop in price, as I am one of the few people on this site who haven't picked it up yet, but I doubt it will happen soon and I will probably cave tonight

12. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    You have something of a point there. I don't agree with it outright, but I can see where you're coming from, having had this happen to me, most recently with Sentry Alpha, but the biggest one came from Soul Trapper which I bought full price and which had a drastic price drop sale less than a day later.

Frankly, I think that perhaps early adopters should be given side benefits not given to those that buy after price drops. Include those paying full price after price drop sales have ended as well to the first group.

For instance, one of the other developers for another game stated that while updates such as bug fixes and the like will be free to all consumers of their particular game (as they well should be) any updates in the form of extra levels, new skins for characters, etc. will be free for early adopters only. Those who purchases after the price drops would have to pay for the non-bug fix updates.

That seems like a fair deal to me that rewards early adoption of games. And if they extend it to those who aren't early adopters but do pay full price (having missed sales or whatnot), then it might be a good system for some of the bigger developers and publishers on the app store to adopt.

13. emb531

emb531 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    I can pretty much guarantee you will love it :p

14. Tennisking1o1

Nov 15, 2008
    I hope so. The first video on this site really sucked me in, and even though it only has 26 levels I am the type of person that will try to get every prism, so I'm guessing this can last me a while

15. teagan1000000

teagan1000000 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I got it!

i got the money and got it!! im in the fire canyon place, AWESOME worth the price thanks for helping me decide!!

16. emb531

emb531 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Heh, I think this was meant for the Edge thread...:cool:

But, Rolando and Edge have many similarities, although I would give the upper hand to Rolando based solely on its graphics and great amount of polish.

17. Tennisking1o1

Nov 15, 2008
    My bad, sorry

18. caywen

caywen Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Price drops - terribly sorry about that

All,

I am also bummed by price drops right after I buy, so lowering the price on Sentry Alpha didn't come without some concern that I'm screwing some people. I'd just like to really apologize for that.

-Kevin

19. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    No problem. All in all Sentry Alpha is a damned good shmup. Like I said, I'm a sucker for good shmups.

What I regret, however, is paying full price for SkyThunder, another iTouch/Phone shmup. Not to say that's a bad game...but the controls just aren't implemented very well at all, and it feels like there's missing animation frames or something.

20. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    They're being promoted, for free, by Apple, in the the most prime position available on the App Store, right up there at the top of the page.
    And even with free advertising they're still dropping off the radar fast. A quick check now shows Rolando to have dropped even further to number 40.

They "hype" which you speak of is only present on websites like this, TouchArcade, where people gather and discuss how great (or rubbish) certain games are, and where we hear other people's opinions and where we see gameplay videos, etc.
    So yeah, over here, Rolando has great support, but you're forgetting we make up a teeny teeny itsy bitsy percentage of the mass of people who buy App Store games. The majority of the general public just goes straight to the App Store, and that's their only location for finding out about games.

And they might check out Rolando, as it's being promoted on the front page of the App Store, but when they see the price, that think, naaah, I can see other games that are cheaper, I'll buy one of those instead.
    Like it or not, that's what's happening. Whether the price is justified at $9.99 or not, that's what's happening.

So no amount of further hype or updates to the game will make it sell better - they've already got THEE golden prize of being promoted for free in the App Store's no. 1 position. You can't get any better that that.
    And if you can't sell the game well enough to avoid falling out of the top 50, then something's wrong. Probably the price...
    And I say "wrong", being at least in the general public's eyes. They're the ones opening up their wallets to spend the money, so, again, like it or not, it's them you have to please - not a handful of game-reviewers, etc.