Rolando- being pulled for rolando 2 [No longer True]

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Slapshot, Jun 28, 2009.

1. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    Because people have different opinions and like different types of games that's why SO many people think it's good and you don't. Stupidity amazes me sometimes.

2. aleceiffel

aleceiffel Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    agreed!!! I thought the game was nice to look at with nice sound but I could not find the enjoyment in actually playing the stinking game..I found the control of certain characters completely inconsistent and the game as a whole more annoying than fun.
    I say pull the plug on the original.

3. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Well I'm sure that 2801 five star and 642 four star reviews would disagree. I didn't think it was boring and enjoyed every minute perfecting the levels and playing with the different Rolandos. Tell me your favorite game and I'll find 50 people that disagree.

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Ugh. Enough with the Rolando flame-war. Some of us looooved it, some of us hated it (guess which side I took?). But it's all subjective.

But if they drop the price of the first one to 99c, most everyone'll get it, and nobody'll want the sequel because either they're still playing Rolando, or don't want the same gameplay again, and if they're pulling Rolando, then it is gonna be the same gameplay. There's no other reason. Well, yeah, the price, but most people are gonna lean toward the new, shiny, 3D one.

5. iloverightangles111

iloverightangles111 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Terrapin Station
    in response to dmbfan and crimson -

I didn't mean to try to start a fight or trigger something personal. you might have misread my earlier post because of a misrepresentation on my behalf, but I mean to be asking what, "makes the game good?!", because I am a huge fan of puzzle games and platforming games, especially combined. I understand that this is your favorite game, and I know people hate and ridicule my favorite game every day, but this is a public forum, you can say anything that you want and have your own opinion.

6. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    If they price it at $.99 it will be an insta-buy for me!
    I too, think this would be a good decision.

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Agreed. +1

8. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Get it now? Why? So when I accidentally delete it I can just forget I ever have the game? Buying Rolando or any ngmoco's first gen game is like throwing money to the bin.

9. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    If buy it for $1. Seems dumb.

10. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    #30 The Bat Outta Hell, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
    Are you the same spartan12013 who gave knights onrush one star because they lowered the price?

11. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    So you raise the profile of a game by reducing the prices on 2 games that are entirely different?
    You further raise the profile by removing all reviews of the previous version so a new buyer has no reliable reference at hand for an expensive game?

That is bizarre.

Launch Rolando 2. Drop the price of Rolando 1 to 99p for 2-3 days to bump it up the charts, advertise heavily and then remove it. Get some visibility.
    That to has the removal fault and the only cure then is a very low intro price.

I have no interest in the game after playing the lite version, not my thing. Unlike WordFu which is excellent (and appeals to a very different market).

12. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Imagine, they would have taken Star Wars 4-6 from the market at the moment part 1 arrived in the cinemas, just to (laughing out loud) "make room"?!? This is the most stupid move in App Store history. If there is a part 2, people want to know about the others of course, and if they like one, they mostly try to get all. So ngmoco, who the hell gave you this stupid idea, to take something completely away, instead of remarketing it with the second part. You easily would have two top ten titles and earn the double.

Perhaps, you know already that Rolando 2 is not that fun as the first and you are afraid people would compare and complain? Or you just take the easiest route of telling us, you don't want to be asked for updates anymore.

13. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    I agree with robot completely. It is a lose lose situation by removing it, and hoping to
    get a few impulse sales by removing it. Unless there's something we don't
    know, this is a really odd and confusing decision.

14. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I have a sneaking suspicion it will be "back by popular demand." It could work in their favor but I have to agree with those that think a price drop would result in more fruitful publicity.

15. oliath

oliath Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Hang on........... has it actually been confirmed that Rolando 1 Is being pulled?

16. The Bat Outta Hell

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Mjmoco said so in the wordfu/dr awesome price drop thread.

17. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    this is one completely shady move by ngmoco........

and it takes away from the customer the possibility of downloading the game again including future updates for new devices or new firmwares.

i seriously have no idea what this whole thing of "pulling it from the appstore" is all about.

probably some weird hope to make more money but they can certainly wipe my name off the list of potential future customers if they pull this through.

18. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    #38 alza, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
    Ok, but let us think logically about this for a minute. Ngmoco is a business, and therefore profit can be seen as its central motive.
    I find it highly unlikely that they are doing anything that will cost them sales, and therefore profit, in the long run.
    As a few in this thread have pointed out, they are losing money on an already-created and distributed product - why not leave it sitting in the store at, say, $6, and continue to profit from the odd sale every now and then from an interested person? Surely at this price point everyone would be keen to get the newer, shinier, Rolando 2, so Rolando 1 wouldn't offer that much competition?
    There must be an answer, and I swear it will be microtransactions. They'll put the Rolando 1 levels within Rolando 2 and charge for it, thereby removing the need to sell Rolando as a standalone product. It seems to me to be the only way that this plan makes business sense at all, and believe me, business will be the reason they are planning on pulling the product from the store

19. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    so, if this is really their plan, what about people NOT buying rolando 2?

they are stuck with an abandoned product.

20. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    So what they want is for people to buy 2 other games - awesome / wordfu - which may be put into the same position of 'we upgrade, we will not support'.

As I cannot be sure just what they will be doing there is only one thing to do - not buy their games.