Universal Rogue Wizards (by Spellbind Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by KeKhan, May 25, 2017.

1. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    #41 houseofg, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Sorry. Dupe post.

2. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    #42 houseofg, May 26, 2017
    I think it would be helpful, somewhere on the main HUD, to see how many chest keys you have.

Also, are the story floors endless? I'm down to level 4 of the first one (Pit of Despair) and my inventory is getting full, though at least I figured out that I could drag things from main inventory into that bag tab.

Not sure whether I'm risking losing everything (if and when I run out of potions) or running out of room if I can/should elect to somehow exit back to town...?

Edit: That's funny. Like right after I post this, I get to the boss on level 4 and a portal opens after the battle. Ok.

3. #43 AppUnwrapper, May 26, 2017
    This is really nice so far. Only played through two dungeons, though. Getting rarer and rarer to have games with proper loot on iOS bc the F2P games want you to buy it all with cash. And you won my heart with the chakram. I feel like Xena! That said, I -- like others here -- wish it could have just been premium without any thoughts of watching ads or buying gems with IAPs. Even with buying the $5 gem doubler, there's always going to be that "oh I'm short on gems? I'll just watch an ad." Makes it hard to tell whether you should be saving up or spending them, whether the economy is balanced. I mean, I get the reasoning behind it. But I'd be lying if I said it doesn't change the game for me.

Also, finding gold trickles in slowly, even when I'm opening lots of chests. Haven't spent any yet. But I've sold quite a few things and still only have about 1200 gold. I'm down to two potions and they each cost $250. I don't know what happens when I die, so I'm afraid to enter a new dungeon with only two potions. But $250 each seems like a lot for how slowly gold trickles in! Am I missing something?

Also find it odd that changing weapons uses up a turn. So does moving one spot. Even though some enemies can move a whole row in one move. I guess that's where the spells come in, but if you have to spend a turn to switch magic, that's a waste, too. Means you use three turns to use healing magic and switch back to your weapon? Seems like the best strategy is to just equip a strong weapon and shield and bang it out?

4. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    At work cannot download, does this have energy?

5. Nope!

6. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    No energy system, fortunately.

AppUnwrapper, I was about to say something similar and completely agree. I bought the doubler and like that this is specifically factored in to get to PC balance, but then what does that mean in terms of the gems and gold you can get by watching ads? I don't want to fall behind the balance but I also don't want to get ahead of it or I'll get bored quickly.

7. Zeratulz

Zeratulz Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Bought and will support with the IAP. Watched the trailer and it looks freaking good and will support future efforts if you maintain this type of quality. Good job on this.

8. pinOi32

pinOi32 Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2014
    #48 pinOi32, May 26, 2017
    This doesn't work on iPod Touch 4...

9. Rangerlump

Jan 20, 2010
    Great game!

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but there is a huge difficulty spike between the first and second dungeons. I finished the first had a joy of a time, bought $15 in gems and the doubler!. Then I entered the second with yeti cold things and got wiped.

need help PST!

10. Armadi

Armadi Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Any advice on spending gems? I have 20 pretty early in game, pick up a pet or upgrade the daily chest or just save for leveling spells?

11. #51 AppUnwrapper, May 26, 2017
    Yeah something feels really off to me, too. I don't see any way to grind for more gold, so what do you do if you've sold most of the gear you looted, opened plenty of chests, and still barely have anything to buy potions or spell ammo? I went into the third dungeon with only two health pots and it didn't go so well. I managed to beat it but now only have one health potion and no resurrection potions. I could spend all my gold on health potions or.....?

I'm really not seeing how to strategize in this game. It's turn-based, so that would imply there is some strategy to it. But being surrounded by enemies and not being able to do anything without wasting a turn....I just feel helpless.

It took almost *all* the fire magic I picked up to defeat the wizard and I still ended up needing potions and a second resurrection. It said fire was his weakness, but it barely damaged him. I dunno what's going on, but right now I don't have enough to get me through the next dungeon and don't see a way to earn more gold before heading in.

It's also not clear what happens when you die, and I don't want to take the risk and discover that I'll lose some gear...or worse, everything. Anyone know?

12. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    I'm still in the first dungeon so can't comment on any difficulty spike.
    Plenty of gold in dungeon one, so not sure what's happening unless it's intentional? Don't forget you can watch ads for gold also.....
    I also found a resurrection potion (could be useful) and I haven't died yet so can't help with that either.
    Are you breaking barrels as well as they often have gold? I've also started equipping myself with some +gold items of armour which also helps......and I got my first legendary hat which gives me +3% rare and above item find.

13. #53 AppUnwrapper, May 26, 2017
    It's possible I left the first dungeon too early? I explored more on the second even after opening the portal, so I could pick up more loot before leaving. I explored quite a bit and *still* had very little gold after selling all the unnecessary gear.

But I went into the third dungeon with only 2 potions and one resurrection. Remember, a potion costs $250 each!! I didn't want to spend $750 of my $1200 to replenish my potions.

Yes, I break everything and pick up everything and unlock any chests I can. But when I pick up gold bags, they're usually quite small. Like 10 gold here, 10 gold there. Very small amounts.

I don't think any of my gear has a +gold bonus.

I didn't know there are videos for gold, too. I hope that wasn't rebalanced as well from the PC version. I thought only the gems were.

If I have to watch ads to progress...I'm out.

14. Rangerlump

Jan 20, 2010
    I dont see anyway to redo dungeons to grind money / xp like others have said. After I unlocked the town I completed the first dungeon. I upgraded everything I could (even bought gems cause I love the game). When I head to the portal the only option is the next dungeon with frozen yetis and I last about 1 1/2 floors.

15. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    You are absolutely right. Seems really unbalanced especially the part where you are surrounded by 10+ monsters. You can use spells yes but they are limited till now and i do not see a way of buying them and i guess when we will be able to do so they will be expensive. Till now the best strategy is not to switch weapons when you are surrounded by many monsters but when the mosters are few (2-3) except if you are going to use a spell with area damage. The second boss took me 20 fireballs and some hits by the sword. Maybe i am doing something wrong too but it seems really really unbalanced till now.

16. Armadi

Armadi Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2016
    I beat the ice dungeon. The sentinel (lightning) spell helped a lot and the regroup (nature) one was great for when surrounded. Both those spells activate when you click on them without need to equip so you aren't slowed down.

Try to advance carefully and only take on a few opponents at a time, consider using ranged weapons or throwing weapons.

17. Btw, what happens when you die and don't revive right away? It sounds like it's happened a few times to you.

18. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    #58 houseofg, May 26, 2017
    Yeah, the ads are giving me 450 gold per view, AppUnwrapper. That seems material. I absolutely understand the challenges the dev is facing but I also have no clue how you properly balance a game with a system like this.

And what the heck is that Divine Treasury building?

19. #59 AppUnwrapper, May 26, 2017
    I use a chakram most of the time, but even the stronger ones started to do very little in the third dungeon and I was getting pummeled. I wasn't taking on big groups of enemies at once by choice, but it was taking so long to kill each one that more kept coming.

And you took down the ice wizard with lightning? Why would I even think of doing that if it says fire is his weakness and it's barely touching him?

I have the Regroup spell and it does look useful, but also takes 15 Arbor Extracts. So I was trying to survive without it. Also wasn't sure which spells don't use extra turns. I noticed the stalactites didn't, but wasn't sure why.

Weird to read Steam reviews saying it's easy and brainless, yet everything feels in short supply to me here.

20. Woooooow. 450?!? I'm lucky if I pick up that much through an entire dungeon run. That's bad.