Universal Rogue Touch (by ChronoSoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CommanderData, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

You need to find a remove curse scroll or possibly one of enchant armour (I believe they remove curses too?).

2. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I need to repeat myself.
    Damn, this is the most addicting game on the iDevices.
    You totally got me!

Level 15 so far...nothing special I know.
    But I'm coming...slowly.... :)

3. soccerstud652

soccerstud652 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    This game really is addictive. Every time I play I notice or learn something new. It just keeps getting more and more complex.

Well worth $0.99. I wish I had gotten it sooner.

4. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

soccerstud652, We certainly didn't want you or anyone else to have to guess at the controls of course. I apologize that it's not immediately clear. After playtesting so much during development you kind of take some things for granted!

Really, even if you know what every item does, it does not make you a great rogue. There's the element of luck, but also knowing *when* or how to use the items in your pack to their best advantage. For example- you wouldn't want to waste charges in a wand of fire on weak monsters, it's best to save it for when the Trolls show up :D

So perhaps a strategy guide might be too much, but a beginning player's guide and FAQ that covers what things do would be a good compromise.

It's great to see you appreciate the long term value of the game! We're committed to a bunch of neat stuff in the next few months before we move on to a new game. Even then, we'll always support Rogue Touch with updates... just a bit less frequently than the current pace ;)

lazypeon, You're right that Rogue Touch can be confusing at first! It certainly doesn't spoon feed you the answers and equipment you need like most RPGs. Of course we're not story driven, but that actually helps our gameplay. You wouldn't want to sit through the same old dialogue and cut scenes over and over again, and with Rogue Touch you don't have to- it's straight to the business of killing and exploring and collecting loot! :)

Again, the terminology is something we took for granted growing up with Dungeons & Dragons, rolling dice, etc... I'm sure it does seem alien from many people's view! You can get a rough idea of what weapon is better than another at our website now. As for the comparison to Diablo or WoW, you're correct that even players of those games would need a quick lesson in terminology. We definitely need to work on that, and get a nice concise FAQ for people who are new.

Strategic Tidbits:
    I almost always explore the entire floor, as you said for more experience and equipment. It's a must! As you get deeper, larger "maze rooms" appear. I generally shy away from them even though they can contain items. Sometimes you have no choice because the stairs can be hidden *within* the maze though!

Scrolls I tend to read pretty early on. Potions I will collect several of them before starting a little "Drinking game"... because I almost always drink a potion of blindness or poison or something... then if I'm lucky one of the next couple of potions I chug is the cure :D Wands/Staves- might not hurt to try zapping stuff at the early floors before you really need something to save your life!

I do actually equip armor and weapons right away if I think it might be better than mine. Sometimes you get burned by that. I think Mindfield (if I recall from the previous thread) did that to himself... had a great suit of armor on, then wore a crappy cursed one and couldn't switch back... and then died of course! Rings... I am usually afraid to try on rings without identifying them. In my 37 floor run on the leaderboards, I probably had 10 rings in my pack, all different kinds. I knew what three of them were. The rest I refused to wear without identification. Never did find out what most of those did!

A few people (I think Scotopia here in particular) will keep restarting games until he gets one with a random ring in his pack when he starts. As far as knowing when to quit and restart... I don't think you should ever give up! I always go until something kills me, as you never know when you might find a super item on the next floor down! :D

SSquared, thank you! I think a lot of us around here have fond memories of Rogue and Nethack at some point in our school days.

I'm definitely sticking around this community until they kick me out! If you ever need help with something in the game or have suggestions let me know here or stop by our forum, a lot of smart and friendly people that are passionate about the game hang out there now too :D

-----

Oh and last minute additions (I've been composing for 30 minutes here... new posts keep popping up!):

soccerstud652, if you have cursed armor on, Zwilnik is correct. A scroll of remove curse or a scroll of enchant armor will both lift the curse and allow you to take it off. It's a bit of russian roulette, putting on unidentified armors... you never know if you're going to get something great, or get hosed! I'm glad you're finding the depth and interactions amusing! Now I just have to keep adding new stuff before you can figure out all of the current items :D

Your Personal Robot, sorry to hear about the addiction ;) but it does sound like you're coming along just fine!

I'd say if you can make it to floor 15, with a bit more practice you should be about to the point where Griffins kill you regularly instead :D

5. I've been going through today. Ended up with a character that was developing well in one direction, and experiencing a comedy of errors in the other. Lots of rings, including regeneration and slow digestion, ran across a few scrolls of identify, which was nice, numerous restore strength potions, which helped with the rattlesnakes, several wands, and so on. And then I got a cursed ring of teleportation. I didn't know it was cursed, ebcause when I identified it it just said it was a ring of teleporation. It didn't say it was cursed. so I put it on for the hell of it.

Cursed. Damnit.

Then I put on some cursed splint mail. And got attacked by Aquators. Ended up with an AC of 8. Blinking all over the map. Couldn't for the life of me find a scroll of armour protection or remove curse. Ran out of food. Died of hunger on level 17.

*sigh*

6. twalkabout

twalkabout Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 12, 2008
    i should be careful what i wish for... actually it worked out well, i was able to lure them out of the treasure room and drop a scare monster scroll and clean house. this is the first game i've ever successfully used one of those. (took me a while to figure out that it doesn't identify it when you read it, and once i tried to drop it in a doorway). CD thanks for fixing the bug where it would drop all of them, because i had two and they were both crucial. now at level 34 and i think i need to start heading up and see if i can get out alive. running out of goodies, so i'm not sure i will. plus i don't have a ring of slow digestion, so i hope my food stash will last. almost should just keep going down and try to beat the record of 41, but i have yet to win with a legit character so i think this might be the time. scotopia, what kind of crazy game are you working on? you mentioned something in the other thread?

Attached Files:

7. Jeffro87

Jeffro87 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Guys, quick question... im finally hunkering down and trying to play my smartest game yet. I played 2 games at work and well i kinda just breezed through it till i died.

Anyhoo, two questions...

1. I just received a ring, i identified it, and it was a ring of disarming? Is this is a ring that has a chance to disarm me or the enemy? I'd hope that later but im not too sure!

2. Second, i notice that both potions are scrolls are a complete mystery until used or identified... My question is, in my current game turquoise potions are healing potions ive discovered after first use... if i start another game is healing pots being torquoise a constant? or is everything randomized at the start of a game?

Thanks guys!

8. Jeffro87

Apr 10, 2009
    Oh another quick thing.... a leprechaun stole some of my money... actually twice and poofed.. does he disappear completely or did he just port to another random location on that level? I want me money back!!! I might lose sleep over that midget!

9. twalkabout

Patreon Bronze

Nov 12, 2008
    #109 twalkabout, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
    see the equipment list here

Ring of Disarming (V1.5+) The wearer gains a greatly improved chance of disarming any trap he steps on, even if you didn't know it was there!

and as to your other question - everything is randomized every game - so colors and scroll names only count for that game.

edit: leprechauns and nymphs disappear forever with your gold and goodies. i always keep an unwanted item at the bottom of my inventory as a donation to nymphs (they steal the bottom unequipped item first). this may require some creative rearranging of your gear (e.g. drop all your armor including the one you are wearing, and then pick it back up and your armor will now be on the bottom of the inventory).

10. Jeffro87

Apr 10, 2009
    the list is MAJOR help! Thank you thank you!

This game is pretty intense, random shit happens all the time.

11. soccerstud652

soccerstud652 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    #111 soccerstud652, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
    How does the food work?

Edit: Also, is there a d=pad for controls? If so, how do I turn it on?

12. twalkabout

Patreon Bronze

Nov 12, 2008
    how not to starve

go to the iphone settings application and you'll find the rogue touch settings there.

for food, you can read this thread although i'll copy the important info here:

of note, there is not a lot of food on the way back up, so if you are ever lucky enough to actually get to the amulet, you might want to keep some food on hand for your escape

13. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

twalkabout, your info is spot on, and I really appreciate the help! I have limited Internet access from my iPhone right now :)

As far as the settings and how to access them... And more importantly what they all do, check the thread over in my forum about settings :D

14. twalkabout

Patreon Bronze

Nov 12, 2008
    guess the wealthiest rogues leaderboard answers that question

i think i know how you did it. as i'm ascending up with the amulet, i think i can make it and actually beat CD's score, then i'm thinking as i get near the top - what if i drop the amulet on floor one and start heading back down again? crazy? CD - would there be plentiful equipment again because i'm descending? would the monsters be harder? i'm rocking a blessed +5 +8 war hammer of dragon slaying. doubt i'll ever get one of those again...

that's the only way i can think of that scotopia could have gotten that score?

15. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

How does strength work? Obviously more = better, but that's one of the few things I don't fully understand yet.

16. aendaman

aendaman Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    monsters & traps

i'd like to get CDs opinion on that...
    this teleport trap could well have saved my life in one of the last runs but that darn yeti was just not compatible with it. probably just too fat :D
    what i want to say is that using already discovered traps against monsters would nicely add yet another strategic value to the game. plus when you disarmed a trap it could be another "damn i shouldn't have done that" forehead-slapper. and man do i love these with RT...

17. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Yeah it appears he found a neat way to exploit the system... I'm going to take a close look at that and see if it makes sense to close it up or leave it in! Still, good show! He gets the commendation for original thinking :D

Strength: Its main purpose is to define how well and how hard you hit monster.

Your starting strength of 16 give you +0 (or normal) "To Hit", and +1 to your damage done for a hit. If your strength goes below 16, it makes monsters a bit harder to hit, and you start to do *less* damage to them. Minimum strength is 3.... If you get your strength above 16, you start to gain bonuses "to hit" monsters- up to +5, and your damage increases to +8 at your Maximum possible strength of 31.

Traps are obviously controversial. The main reason traps do not affect monsters is because they did not affect them in the original game... hope that doesn't sound like a cop-out, merely stating a fact ;)

The only rogue-like I can think of off the top of my head that had traps affect monsters at all was Shiren the Wanderer. But that was only in the "Trap Cave", a special and very small subset of the overall game.

I agree at first glance that this seems like a fantastic idea, and there may be ways to handle it properly, but first I need to get all deep and technical at 9AM on Easter ;)

Technically there's no immediately obvious programming reason why I couldn't make monsters susceptible to traps. But if I do, then every monster in the game will need to be scaled up a bit in strength, armor, and spawning frequency to compensate for a gameplay balance change like that.

Lets say a monster could be affected by a sleep trap or bear trap. You could easily do a little dance with them that leads them right onto one of those... and then back up and fill them full of arrows from a safe distance. Lather, Rinse, Repeat as they say. You could take down monster far more powerful than you would otherwise.

I know, everyone's thinking "Yeah, exactly why we want this!"... but once you have it and the game becomes ridiculously easy you'd get bored and stop playing it. Plus it wouldn't be rogue anymore, something we have to be very cautious with moving away from, as many of our players bought for that pure rogue experience! :D

I suppose it's a feature that could be added to advanced mode of course so rogue purists could avoid it. But I'll leave you with some final thoughts- one problem we'd have is every monster is unique... could you catch a slime or kestral or aquator in a bear trap? Probably not. Is a pit trap going to affect a dragon or griffin? They have wings... couldn't they fly right out? You can see where this gets complicated fast (from a software and potential bug view) :)

18. learjetzoom

learjetzoom Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    CD,
    Please explain the melee damage chart?
    What does 1d4 mean?

19. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

1 four sided dice (so 1 - 4 damage), 2d4 is 2 x 4 sided dice (2-8) and so on. Another old D&D term ;)

20. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Zwilnik is exactly right of course... here is a bit more detailed description from a post in my forums:

Hope that makes sense to everyone....

Happy Easter :D