Universal Rogue Touch (by ChronoSoft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CommanderData, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Arutha

Arutha Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi everybody, what is the "magnifying glass" icon for ?

2. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Can anyone tell me if this was ever made universal? I'm impressed at all the upgrades he detailed in the app description, and want to buy this...but I mostly play on an IPAD. If not universal, how does it play on an iPAD?

3. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Hi there PBSNellie!

Was just posting a comment to the front page article about Rogue Touch Version 2.0 when this popped up.

I haven't had an iPad for several years unfortunately, so today's big update did not make the app Universal. I can tell you I'm planning to buy an iPad Pro 10.5" this fall after the iOS 11 release, and very likely will make Rogue Touch run on iPad at that point... including all the fancy new stuff for iPads in the last few years, like spilt / sidecar view.

For now it relies on the old iPhone -> iPad upscale compatibility to fill the screen. Depending on which iPad you own, it may not be as enjoyable at present- a 12.9" Pro would be rather tough but on an iPad mini it would probably be fine. Also if you switch to play using the D-Pad in Settings rather than touch-taps around the character it'll make larger screens more bearable.

Hope that helps :D

4. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    #684 PBSNellie, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Wow! Based on that reply, I'm going to go for it. Thank you for being so responsive!

Addendum: So I just downloaded on my Ipad Air. It's a little funky, but definitely playable. I was concerned about the graphics, but they are crisp and clear. Can't wait for a universal update.

5. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

No problem!

Depending on your familiarity with "Rogue" you might have a hard time at first with lots of dying in the early floors... but if you read various threads here on TouchArcade and at my ChronoSoft forums (link to my page in my sig below) you will find some strategies as well as something unique to my Rogue Touch version of "Rogue": Secret Characters! Just use their names when naming yourself at the start of a game and you can start off with magical items and/or boosts in your capability depending on the name :cool:

6. PBSNellie

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    No worries. I expect to die, and like it. I did make another comment above, attached to my original comment. Here's hoping you can make this universal with minimal difficulty.

7. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Cool, glad you knew what you were in for, and you like it!

I'm cautiously optimistic about iPad support... Of course looking back on the headaches of the last few months to get this V2.0 update done reminds me nothing's ever as easy as I first expect.

Also I was a really terrible iOS dev back in 2008, and the RT codebase is unfortunate evidence of that :p

8. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

Excellent, really glad to see Rogue Touch still being updated! It was the first game other than one of ours that I played like mad on my first iPhone :)

9. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Hey Zwilnik, good to see another old-timer like me around here! I'm guessing the other games you were obsessed with back then must have been the original SlotZ Racer or possibly Flick Fishing? :)

Just want to say thank you in return for playing Rogue Touch all these years, and also for the private messages with ideas and advice you gave me when it was first released and got featured by Apple back in 2009.

10. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

I think I was working on SlotZ Racer and Flick Fishing updates when it was released. Managed to put some serious playtime into it :)

Unfortunately our original set of iOS games were lost in a previous App-ocalypse, namely the ngmoco/DeNA buyout and shutdown of our publishing partners Freeverse (and being prior to the option to transfer apps we couldn't keep the original SKUs in any way) but we did manage to re-release and update SlotZ Racer with a new version and carry on Flick Fishing with Fish!

Now I need to read back through the thread for those name codes to enhance my characters as I did all my play throughs without them and think I can do better this time! :)

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Holy cow, 64-bit update for the Cadillac of Rogue on iOS! \:D/

12. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I nearly wet myself when I just saw that this game got a massive update as I had never played it before and that was very strange as I am a Rogue game addict.
    And then I realised why I haven't bought it before.....iPhone only. #

If you ever get it to be an iPad game then it will be an instant buy for me as I just do not play games on my phone and running a x1iPhone game on an iPad Pro 12.9" is just....blah! #

13. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Hi Stubbieoz,
    Darn I'm sorry to disappoint you today but I totally understand! I wouldn't recommend playing the current iPhone-only Rogue Touch blown up on a 12.9" iPad either, even using the D-pad controls it would not be an ideal experience.

As I mentioned further back in thread with PBSNellie, an iPad capable universal version is something I'm really interested in doing but it may be a while. At least these new graphics are finally crisp enough to support the really high resolutions of iPads available today! If you want to know more when it happens bookmark my site and/or follow me on twitter and I'll provide announcements :eek:

14. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Since this thread has received the largest number of recent posts about the Rogue Touch Version 2.0 Update I'll try to draw focus here. Maybe even get the mods to help change the Thread Title and get proper modern app-info tagged in the first post!

For anyone reading this thread after 9/1/2017- the biggest overhaul since Rogue Touch was originally released in 2009 happened today and there was quite a stir about it after a post on the TA home page as seen in this article here. Lots of new code to support 64-bit and iOS 11, bug fixes, gameplay tweaks, and most obviously the very nice new Hi-Res sprites and tile sets!

Before and After images for reference so you can easily see the improvements:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you to everyone who has commented, downloaded, and posted new reviews for Rogue Touch V2.0... It's been an amazing response across the internet today, very humbling to learn people still care after all this time.

Funny side note seeing all these old 2009 posts, for the first time in *years* Rogue Touch is actually in the App Store charts today. Currently just ahead of Binding of Issac in the US store RPG category, so I'm lurking in the company of other good roguelikes :)

15. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Congrats on having your game back on the radar after all these years! Rogue Touch is still one of the finest in the classic permadeath genre and well worth diving into. Sometimes super-fancy graphics and a 100 hour learning curve on some of these new-fangled RPGs aren't all they're cracked up to be. Now get off my lawn! ;)

16. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Emos, appreciate it as always!

I think some of the biggest barriers to entry for people to enjoy roguelikes such as the original Rogue have been the interface (arcane keyboard commands or other convoluted input methods) and their graphics (or lack thereof). Rogue Touch has solved both of these issues, especially now with the much prettier version 2.0 update :)

Rogue has been a game that I've come back to for 30+ years, and is why I created Rogue Touch! I always did enjoy 100 hour RPGs but just don't have the time for them these days... Having bite sized adventures that last only a few minutes or hours at a time, and not forgetting whatever stupid sub-quest you were dealing with whenever returning to the game-in-progress is awesome:

[​IMG]

17. twalkabout

twalkabout Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 12, 2008
    Wow! I had all but given up on this game! Man I sunk a lot of hours into this back in the day. Glad to see you back CD!

Amazing update!

18. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Thanks twalkabout, good to see another old hand, and glad I could surprise you and so many others with this update!

Really nice to be back working on iOS stuff again, forgot how much fun I had back in the day between programming and hanging out here on TouchArcade with everyone... FYI- I'm gearing up to finally make a big push into more games and apps next year :D

19. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Hopefully with iPad support. #

20. Hiraether

Hiraether Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    With your underground popularity a Kickstarter might be a good way get going. Translate it in Japanese (etc...) and make sure the right niches know. For some reason no one can seem to properly balance a rogue these days. There is a real audience out there just waiting for more and a bunch of silly dungeon crawler substitutions have made them restless. There is a renaissance going on here; because of all the postmodernist nonsense people are looking back to the roots of gaming.
    Good luck! :3